Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Year End vs. Truck Month Deals

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
So, I bought a 1500 Laramie about 16 months ago figuring at some point in the next 5 years we would get a TT...Covid happened and we ended up purchasing one back in June to go visit family and such.
Now I've been kind of on the lookout for a 2500, I'm at the limit of what my 1500 can do and would like to make the jump at some point.

I'm on the fence about whether now is a good time or not. On the plus side, trade in values are high and I bought my truck in the middle of the awesome deals last year. I could get out my 1500 in really good shape.
My dilemma is 2500 pricing, new inventory is low right now so super deals and selection are not ideal. Employee pricing seems to be a good deal but only 1 truck within 250 miles that fits the needs and the budget.
Obviously used prices are high right now, but there's not many used 19+ 6.4s out there anyways.

The magic question is what's better? The end of year sales, or truck month sales?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yillbs

Reaction score
if you can travel a bit, inventory is low, but a 2020 can be had for a decent price if you are willing to travel and get a good deal. I think right now is the perfect time to purchase. They want these 2020's gone, it's employee pricing, plus dealers want them out before jan!

woodguy00

Reaction score
Not to hijack, but is there any good way to search nationwide for specific equipment/model? The Ram site allows 250 mile radius. I’ve tried a grid of cities across the country but that is painful.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Not to hijack, but is there any good way to search nationwide for specific equipment/model? The Ram site allows 250 mile radius. I’ve tried a grid of cities across the country but that is painful.
One other thing is to try autotrader but that is pretty tedious as well. Checking each truck for the options you're looking for.

Yillbs

Reaction score
One other thing is to try autotrader but that is pretty tedious as well. Checking each truck for the options you're looking for.

So, I came up with a little method to solve this. I would not even look at the truck i'd just grab the vin, and pull the window sticker : https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=vinhere just replace vin here with the vin. I realized the truck i wanted ( Tradesman, with a technology tow group, cummins, level 2, off road package, etc etc, i knew the MSRP was about 60k ( give or take a grand ) I got down to where I was just looking for anything that wasn't white or black, then if something came up, i'd run the sticker, and if it had what i wanted, i'd print it, and then look up the website price, then email a salesman letting them know what my trade was, and what i wanted to pay OTD. It was super simple, " Hey, I have a sadfasdfsafsafsfsdfsadf, I don't care what you offer me for it, i'm trying to hit 44K OTD ", some would reply, some would not, others would haggle, others would not. I did this about 60 times all over the country. Tedious, yes, but well worth it.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
So, I came up with a little method to solve this. I would not even look at the truck i'd just grab the vin, and pull the window sticker : https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=vinhere just replace vin here with the vin. I realized the truck i wanted ( Tradesman, with a technology tow group, cummins, level 2, off road package, etc etc, i knew the MSRP was about 60k ( give or take a grand ) I got down to where I was just looking for anything that wasn't white or black, then if something came up, i'd run the sticker, and if it had what i wanted, i'd print it, and then look up the website price, then email a salesman letting them know what my trade was, and what i wanted to pay OTD. It was super simple, " Hey, I have a sadfasdfsafsafsfsdfsadf, I don't care what you offer me for it, i'm trying to hit 44K OTD ", some would reply, some would not, others would haggle, others would not. I did this about 60 times all over the country. Tedious, yes, but well worth it.
Another good thing to use is the towing/payload lookup tool on the ram website with the vin. But that's only helpful if you're looking for a specific payload.
Yeah, unfortunately looking for things like gearing and and limited slip aren't quite so obvious in the price.

JHeat2500

Reaction score
This is exactly what I did. It really cuts down on all the BS as you can tell immediately who is motivated to sell and who isn't.

Yillbs

Reaction score
This is exactly what I did. It really cuts down on all the BS as you can tell immediately who is motivated to sell and who isn't.
Yeah, saved me lots of time. Once I've seen all the different trim levels, actually physically each individual one i wanted to buy was kind of moot. I purchased mine 5 hours away sight unseen!

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
I was doing more looking and comparing my current Laramie to other trims...we consistently use the 110v outlets during long trips for laptops, phones etc. So sadly I will be delaying my 2500 purchase because 45k+ is definitely not in the budget right now.
My 1500 is capable enough and enjoyable so it's not a big upset.

Users who are viewing this thread