Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y78 CP4 Pump Recall - Power Steering Fluid Leak

CJWINDING

Reaction score
I just had the CP4 pump replaced and noticed some oil drips in the garage. Looking around the engine bay, it appears to be power steering fluid and coming from the general area of the fuel or power steering pump. I am certain this was not an issue before I brought it in for service but uncertain if they needed to remove any of the power steering lines to replace the fuel pump. It's not much and I will cleanup the underside and see if anything is really leaking or if this was just the remnants of the service recall. The pic shows some fluid sitting on top of the steering box and seems too slippery to be diesel fuel. I couldn't find any fluid higher than that. Thanks for your insight.

Attachments

• IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 24

jkempken

Reaction score
I had the same thing on mine, take it back to the dealer ASAP and have them fix it. The tech most likely forgot to torque the return line fitting after they took it off to do the recall.

CJWINDING

Reaction score
OK, maybe it is just the lost fluid from the R&R service work. Seems odd they had to remove a p/s line because it appears there is plenty of clearance in that area. But, maybe that wasn't the case wtih the CP4 pump. I will spray that area off and see if it continues. Thanks!

Chango81

Reaction score
Kit has a steering pump house replacement. They probably had some drip over the pump when replacing. I had some residual drips after as well. I thought it was a leak at first but was just residual that spilled down into my after market steering brace.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
OK, maybe it is just the lost fluid from the R&R service work. Seems odd they had to remove a p/s line because it appears there is plenty of clearance in that area. But, maybe that wasn't the case wtih the CP4 pump. I will spray that area off and see if it continues. Thanks!
They change one of the lines because the ECM bracket is changed and sticks out further to clear the new pump

CJWINDING

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Makes perfect sense now, but I will still monitor, largely because of my 'trust issues' based on dealership experiences.

Chango81

Reaction score
I don’t blame you! If it helps, I had the recall work done by a diesel shop instead of the dealer. They did a great job and I had some residual leftover power steering fluid drips too… no leaks and engine is quiet!

Powerwagon46

Reaction score
I just had the CP4 pump replaced and noticed some oil drips in the garage. Looking around the engine bay, it appears to be power steering fluid and coming from the general area of the fuel or power steering pump. I am certain this was not an issue before I brought it in for service but uncertain if they needed to remove any of the power steering lines to replace the fuel pump. It's not much and I will cleanup the underside and see if anything is really leaking or if this was just the remnants of the service recall. The pic shows some fluid sitting on top of the steering box and seems too slippery to be diesel fuel. I couldn't find any fluid higher than that. Thanks for your insight.
Tell me more about the this recall. What is the Y78 CP4 pump? My reason for asking is that I just discovered a leak under the item you have pictured. But it seems like it is engine oil.

Thanks. Any insight appreciated.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Tell me more about the this recall. What is the Y78 CP4 pump? My reason for asking is that I just discovered a leak under the item you have pictured. But it seems like it is engine oil.

Thanks. Any insight appreciated.
Based on your screen name, this topic is not applicable to you and you should ask elsewhere about the oil leak you're having.
Y78 is a recall to replace the CP4 high pressure fuel pump with a CP3 fuel pump, only applicable to diesel engines.

Powerwagon46

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I was a bit premature in asking the question about the recall. I have the Cummins 6.7 and have had the recall completed. It was done this summer.

But it just so happens that I noticed an oil leak appearing to come from under the fuel pump recently. Could the replacement of the fuel pump cause an oil leak? I guess that should have been my original question.

Thanks again!

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I think the answer is NO, you should try and pinpoint the leak location and go from there. Or take it to the dealer and let them fix the leak, your truck should still be on factory warranty.

Powerwagon46

Reaction score
Got it! I have an appointment at the dealer service dept. tomorrow morning to see if the source of the leak can be found. I'm hopeful.

Thanks!

flan

Reaction score
I believe the replacement can most definetly cause a oil leak, the pump has a oring seal that can get nicked while installing.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I believe the replacement can most definetly cause a oil leak, the pump has a oring seal that can get nicked while installing.
That is possible also you should always lube Orings before install to prevent tearing or any issues and i doubt that is being done too

Powerwagon46

Reaction score
Yep! You hit the nail on the head. Apparently when the replacement pump was installed something was done incorrectly (the SA mentioned the "o" rings) causing the leak. So good to know for future reference.

Thank you!

Razzman

Reaction score
So for what's it's worth I had my high pressure hose replaced after the Y78 was done as well. At least that's what the dealer tells me after I noticed drips as well and oil on the gear box and took it in.

Users who are viewing this thread