Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y-43 particulate matter sensor.

Cseybert

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before I’m debating Whether to get this recall done if I don’t need to. I just don’t like people messing with my truck at the dealership. 2022 DRW I have not had a regen yet 3000 miles on truck. If this has been discussed before, maybe you could merge the threads. Thanks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There are other threads on it.

It will change nothing about the way your truck runs or regens, but could alert you to a DPF failure.

In 3000 miles your truck has most certainly regened, likely at least 3 times. Look at your total engine hours and divide by 24, that number rounded down in the minimum number of regens you have had.

PRS

Reaction score
The addition of the sensor by itself should not affect regens. However, I'm not convinced the reflash that's done at the same time, does not introduce new programing that negatively affects operations and thus increases regens.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The addition of the sensor by itself should not affect regens. However, I'm not convinced the reflash that's done at the same time, does not introduce new programing that negatively affects operations and thus increases regens.

I have noticed zero changes to how my truck operates pre and post Y43. This sensor was only missing for a short period, it’s doubtful it’s got a one off program when other trucks already had it.

Cseybert

Reaction score
So if I take my total time at 117 hours divided by 24 roughly rounded down four regens. And then take the mileage 3134 that would equate to 738 miles per regen. Is this normal? I had a 2019 2500 and only had one regen on that with 2000 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 7

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes that's normal. Just like your 2019, your 2022 does a regen every 24 hours of run time at most.

It's good that you're only getting them at 24 hour intervals, that means that your driving style is conducive to keeping the DPF clean.

So on the 2022 I would expect your next regen to occur around 120 engine hours, so if you watch the DPF screen between 119 and 121 hours I bet you'll see the regen in process message.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
Dealer called said it was my turn for the sensor recall install. I asked if they could guarantee that the flash of the computer wouldn’t change anything other than adding the sensor. Advisor had to call me back next day and stated the techs said they can’t guarantee that. Thankfully I live in a state where it doesn’t matter so I opted out of getting the sensor installed. Who knows if that was the right thing to do but my truck has been great and why mess with it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Dealer called said it was my turn for the sensor recall install. I asked if they could guarantee that the flash of the computer wouldn’t change anything other than adding the sensor. Advisor had to call me back next day and stated the techs said they can’t guarantee that. Thankfully I live in a state where it doesn’t matter so I opted out of getting the sensor installed. Who knows if that was the right thing to do but my truck has been great and why mess with it.

There are recalls to be leery of, like the Z06 weld, but this is not one. Your truck will never know the difference, but if you get a failed DPF you’ll get a CEL. If you’re still under warranty how is that bad? Even if you’re out of warranty you get a 12 month DPF warranty, how is that bad?

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
There are recalls to be leery of, like the Z06 weld, but this is not one. Your truck will never know the difference, but if you get a failed DPF you’ll get a CEL. If you’re still under warranty how is that bad? Even if you’re out of warranty you get a 12 month DPF warranty, how is that bad?
Mainly I was going off the fact that the tech said they can’t guarantee the flash doesn’t change the tune of the motor. If they had said absolutely won’t change a thing other than add the sensor I would have had it done. From what I understand it just extends the warranty one year ???

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
What is the warranty period for the DPF and related components ? Is it 5yrs 50k miles? The way I read the Y-34 recall they will add 12 month warranty from the date the sensor is installed. If that’s the case why not wait until the 5 years is almost up and then have the recall done. Get an extra year of coverage ???

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Mainly I was going off the fact that the tech said they can’t guarantee the flash doesn’t change the tune of the motor. If they had said absolutely won’t change a thing other than add the sensor I would have had it done. From what I understand it just extends the warranty one year ???

The techs will not ever know what a flash does, they just apply it. It’s not worth even asking, you already know the answer.

I can’t get my X97 warranty extension link to work tonight. I don’t recall if it’s 12 months from date of application or a 12 month extension.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
I had my recall done a few months back. No change in performance, driveability, mileage, etc. my only two concerns were they applied the flash after the sensor install and the sensor wiring was routed correctly through the tab on top of the DPF. In which both were no concern after the recall was done.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I had mine done 1/30/24 and it has had zero effect on how the truck runs or the frequency of regens. It seems to be using a little more DEF than it did before but before it used hardly any. So if anything it helped mine by reducing EGR and increasing DEF usage. It could have been something totally unrelated to the Y43 recall but that’s what I’ve noticed since having it done YMMV

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Also important to note that, if you choose not to have Y43 completed, you may find yourself in a situation where, should you need work done in the future that requires a pcm flash, the truck will generate a perpetual DTC and turn the MIL on. The future iterations of all pcm flashes and updates will contain the programming necessary for the pcm to communicate with the PM SENSOR. If your truck receives any new flashes in the future and the PM sensor isn’t installed, you’ll get the “lost communication with PM sensor” error.

This is absolutely not something to worry about. Y43 was done on my 2022 months ago and had absolutely zero impact on anything.

Trash Panda

Reaction score
Also important to note that, if you choose not to have Y43 completed, you may find yourself in a situation where, should you need work done in the future that requires a pcm flash, the truck will generate a perpetual DTC and turn the MIL on. The future iterations of all pcm flashes and updates will contain the programming necessary for the pcm to communicate with the PM SENSOR. If your truck receives any new flashes in the future and the PM sensor isn’t installed, you’ll get the “lost communication with PM sensor” error.

This is absolutely not something to worry about. Y43 was done on my 2022 months ago and had absolutely zero impact on anything.
I have had the very same experience with my 2022 after the Y43 recall.

Nothing to report. Still no regen issues. At this point, I’m throughly convinced the frequent regen problem is a problem with the actual particulate filter being a lower quality than others were.

Covid trucks, essentially.

Users who are viewing this thread