Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you Sell your Truck?

bstar1952

Reaction score
Keep getting offers from Carmax, Carvana and Zroom to buy my '20 Ram 2500 Tradesman Hemi (5,000 miles) that I paid $43K for back in Sep '20. Got another offer today for $48,200 and am seriously thinking about it. We only use the truck to RV with and don't have another trip planned till May next year. Wondering if the chip shortage will ease in enough time to get a new truck by then? I'm also thinking there will be a glut of '21's coming to dealerships but it will be 2022 so prices might be good. I know this is a gamble, but if it pays off I'll be the winner. Would love to here anyone's thoughts on this.

suber81083

Reaction score
I wouldn’t since we go camping all year round and I’m in SC so property tax would be a lot higher on a new truck but If you don’t need it go for it. It is a gamble. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thompsre08

Reaction score
For context, I loved my '17 CC Cummins but i was able to sell it last month for what i paid for it brand new with 78,000 miles on it. I took that cash and applied it toward a 2022 build that should be here next month. So I was able to upgrade 5 years and a mega cab for a difference of about $15k including tax so it was worth taking advantage of for me.

Fishnerd

Reaction score
Id take the deal! We are in a unique situation thats finally in our favor. I was in your shoes not to long ago, thats how I ended up in my PW. Dealer offered me waaaaaay more for my Raptor than paid for it (essentially they paid me to drive it for around for 2years which included gas,insurance, maintenance) and got a hell of deal for the PW, I couldnt say no…..

Riddick

Reaction score
In your case I'm not sure its worth it to sell it right now. While you are netting 5k over what you paid, that will be nullified by tax, title, and tags on the new one. Are you in the market for a new truck? You basically have a brand new one parked out front right now, not sure what you will be gaining other than being able to say you have a newer truck. The only way its worth it in my opinion is if you can get into a brand new truck for 0 out of pocket, if that answer is yes then I would do it!

RPS1030

Reaction score
In your case I'm not sure its worth it to sell it right now. While you are netting 5k over what you paid, that will be nullified by tax, title, and tags on the new one. Are you in the market for a new truck? You basically have a brand new one parked out front right now, not sure what you will be gaining other than being able to say you have a newer truck. The only way its worth it in my opinion is if you can get into a brand new truck for 0 out of pocket, if that answer is yes then I would do it!
Yup, if in a state that credits trade-in value towards sales tax, that's $3856 given a 8% tax rate.

I want to since 19 2500 diesel, but the trailers get hooked up all the time. Especially getting into play-time in the desert.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I paid $39,101 for my truck that had a sticker of $47,505 and I’ve been offered $55,000 for mine with 18,000 miles on it by a Mazda dealer when we dropped off the Mazda for service. I also have $10k worth of stuff bolted to it. They sell lots of “pimped out” trucks and that’s where i sold my lifted and tuned mini duramax.

But, I wouldn’t sell mine because I wouldn’t be able to replace it with the $55k and I would need to replace it

senecagreen

Reaction score
If you can get more than you paid for it and get a new 21 and get away from the injection pump issues for peace of mind I would do it. I looked at a 19 and a 20 Ram 2500. Each had about 20,000 miles and they wanted as much as a 21. I had no idea about the CP4 issues. I bought a 21 and found out later about the CP4. I would have had buyers regret if I had bought one of those used ones as I would not feel it was going to be reliable...

UglyViking

Reaction score
I love my truck. About the only reason I'd sell is if I needed to upgrade to a dually. I have thought about selling/trading but there is no way I could see myself making out on the deal considering that I've got suspension and all in it. I may just go see though

wjcook68

Reaction score
I thought hard about it but asked myself what would I replace it with? I wouldn't mind a Wrangler but they are more than my truck and not as useful (to me)

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
As others have said, if you are not overly happy or in love with your truck and the $5k would make a decent difference to your life and debts, then by all means. However, if you enjoy your truck and are not struggling to keep up with the bills, keep the truck and dont complicate things. Pro's and Con's to each, but if you want to upgrade or get a new toy in a little while and dont plan on keeping this one for 8 years then by all means, get it done sooner than later.

Personally, I would not sell my truck for anything under what I could do it over again with another and come out atleast $15,000 ahead. The time, effort and hours I have put into my truck, along with just how perfectly it suits my family and I would make it very difficult to do. I have taken a new outlook on life recently that, as long as I can afford the lifestyle and the things I enjoy to do in life without it negatively effecting my family's life experience, then slow down and enjoy what we have and spend more time enjoying what is already here, even if that means missing out on a few extra bucks now and then to buy things we at the end of the day do not need. Not trying to come off some type of way but we could all use a little El Dorado 21 over a camp fire with our close ones not worrying about money more often, so however you can achieve that while keeping the wife happy.. life is good.

Myfast70

Reaction score
If you have any thoughts or inclinations of getting new truck then I'd hop all over that deal! As you & others have said it is actually in the sellers favor right now and for a minimal investment you can get a brand new truck, with a new full warranty and some newer features than what the truck currently has, well potentially. If you are interested in getting more features & options than what you currently have then it is a definite sale worth considering. Not sure what your tax laws are but some states there isn't a trade benefit when it comes to taxes and if yours happens to be one of them then you can order from someone like Mark Dodge and get 11%+ off of MSRP which makes the upgrade cost even less.

At the end of the day, you are really the only who can truly say if it's worth upgrading or not. If you're not the type that has to have the latest & greatest then stick with what you got. But if there's something you don't like about it and want to upgrade, there's no time like the present to do it!

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
If you had the 6.7 instead of the gasser I would do it to get rid of the CP$. It is a tougher decision since you have the 6.4. Not much has changed on the trucks, but the Uconnect 5 on the new trucks might make it worth it. As others have said, you will lose out on the taxes you paid though.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I hadn't thought about the uconnect 5. I'm toying with swapping the 12" into my rig, and thinking I may wait until someone released a uconnect 5 as a swap for our trucks, famous last words but can't see it being that hard.

I'm also hoping someone figures out how to do the camera rearview. Having the ability to have an enclosed cap but still keeping my rearview would be key.

Users who are viewing this thread