Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiring Onx6 to factory upfitter switches plus s2 backups

Remy

Reaction score
I am going to try and wire my light bar tomorrow but I ran across this video.

At the 6 min mark he talks about getting smaller fuses to protect the lights. What is the purpose of doing that?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
I am going to try and wire my light bar tomorrow but I ran across this video.

At the 6 min mark he talks about getting smaller fuses to protect the lights. What is the purpose of doing that?

He is being paranoid. You can do what he did, but it isn't necessary. If you rub a wire through it is going to short to ground and blow a fuse no matter what size it is.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
Some guys also say you don’t have to ground the wires. I didn’t at first and it worked, but the bolts that are used for the elevation change got really hot. Grounded the wire and it doesn’t get hot any more. There’s a grounding bolt right by the aux box.

Last edited:

HD_Huddo

Reaction score
I just installed the Baja Designs Onx6+ light bar kit (448031) the way shown in the video from Eddie's Garage and it is continuing to blow 40amp fuses in Aux 1 on my 2022 Ram 2500 upfitter switch box. I looked over all of the wiring and couldn't locate any damage or potential shorts. I'm currently using the BD wiring harness and cut the harness just before the relay so it only has the black (-) and white (+) wires. I'm using the standard connection without the adapter so coming from the light to the connector it has the Black in location A, white it location B, and a small green (control) wire in location C. On the other side of the connector heading to the upfitter switch it has a Black wire in location A, and White wire in location B, so not seeing any way it could be cross-wired/reversed polarity.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be going wrong here and what I should be doing to troubleshoot any potential issues?

HD_Huddo

Reaction score
I just installed the Baja Designs Onx6+ light bar kit (448031) the way shown in the video from Eddie's Garage and it is continuing to blow 40amp fuses in Aux 1 on my 2022 Ram 2500 upfitter switch box. I looked over all of the wiring and couldn't locate any damage or potential shorts. I'm currently using the BD wiring harness and cut the harness just before the relay so it only has the black (-) and white (+) wires. I'm using the standard connection without the adapter so coming from the light to the connector it has the Black in location A, white it location B, and a small green (control) wire in location C. On the other side of the connector heading to the upfitter switch it has a Black wire in location A, and White wire in location B, so not seeing any way it could be cross-wired/reversed polarity.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be going wrong here and what I should be doing to troubleshoot any potential issues?
I just tested the light by jumpering it straight to the positive side of the battery rather than through the upfitter aux switch, and the light started working. The only concerning part is that when I first touched the wire to the battery terminal, it sparked/arced and got hot enough that it slightly adhered to the terminal. After that initial connection, it wasn't arcing anymore, and no other issues. I then connected the positive wire back through the aux 1 terminal in the upfitter switch, and it works through the switch now without blowing the 40A fuse.

I'm a little confused about why it was blowing fuses and having issues and isn't anymore after hooking it directly to the battery. Any ideas? Should I be concerned? I figure since it's now run back through the 40amp fuse, if there's an issue, the fuse will blow before causing any damage or other issues.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
No idea. Sorry. I ordered the upfitter wires because it felt wrong cutting through the nice wiring harness they provided lol.

BaseBD

Reaction score
How is the brightness on this? I am looking at adding to supplement the crappy halogen lights on the tradesman. Also thinking about a 30" diode dynamics. Looking for experience with either about how they help.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
How is the brightness on this? I am looking at adding to supplement the crappy halogen lights on the tradesman. Also thinking about a 30" diode dynamics. Looking for experience with either about how they help.
Here is a quick couple pics from tonight to show the spread of it. I think mine are pointed a little low. Can send you a video if you want (message me your email).

365370A5-2AA7-4194-B63F-9EFFCF2AB6FB.jpeg6122111D-199F-4706-93D4-918CB4F38514.jpeg

BaseBD

Reaction score
Thanks Surf. I Found the Randy Ellis Bull Bar/Light Mount yesterday and ordered it up. Going to put a series of SS3 Fog/Driving/Spot on it. I'll post something once everything comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread