Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiring Onx6 to factory upfitter switches plus s2 backups

relbus

Reaction score
I ordered the CJC onx6 light bar kit. I am not familiar with the included harness. I’d like to have high wired to Aux 1, low wired to aux 2, and the s2 backup pods wired to Aux 3.

Is this possible? Do I need to by one of BD’s harnesses that say they are for factory upfitter switches? Or one of their splitters?

Any advice is appreciated, no experience with the factory upfitter setup yet.

BoatieTX

Reaction score
I have this kit in the CJC cart. Interested as well...

MtnRider

Reaction score
I ordered the CJC onx6 light bar kit. I am not familiar with the included harness. I’d like to have high wired to Aux 1, low wired to aux 2, and the s2 backup pods wired to Aux 3.

Is this possible? Do I need to by one of BD’s harnesses that say they are for factory upfitter switches? Or one of their splitters?

Any advice is appreciated, no experience with the factory upfitter setup yet.

Not sure what the included harness is but I assume it is a harness with a relay and switch? For the upfitter switches you just need to wire the + side of each light to a aux switch output and ground the other side and done, no need for the included relay. You can either make the wiring up yourself or buy a upfitter harness from BD (which is just a connector and wire).

relbus

Reaction score
I watched a video last night of an Onx6 install where the installer used the supplied harness and wired it to the Aux switch. My question is, if you wire to the Aux switch, do you lose the ability to have high/low on the light bar? It appears there is only a positive and ground to hook up, and no way to control high/low if you eliminate the majority of the included harness and use the upfitter switches. Just trying to have a solid plan beofre this thing arrives so I can get it installed immediately.

Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I watched a video last night of an Onx6 install where the installer used the supplied harness and wired it to the Aux switch. My question is, if you wire to the Aux switch, do you lose the ability to have high/low on the light bar? It appears there is only a positive and ground to hook up, and no way to control high/low if you eliminate the majority of the included harness and use the upfitter switches. Just trying to have a solid plan beofre this thing arrives so I can get it installed immediately.

Thanks
You would need their relay wire the 30 to the aux1 for on and off and run the 86/85 which ever one is the positive to the aux 2 for switching between high and low… the aux switches can be which ever you choose i was just using 1&2 as an example

MtnRider

Reaction score
I didn't realize they just varied the current to get a "low" output. Assumed it was a separate background light. Makes for a more complicated wiring system with multiple relays. Do you really see yourself using the low function? You will end up turning on 2 Aux switches to get it to work, a "on" switch then the other to toggle it to low, You can't just select low...it requires both to be on.
If not it would be much simpler to wire it straight the Aux switch and use high only. Just a thought...

Last edited:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see a reason to ever run a light bar on low. I would really have to think about it to tie up one of my Aux switches.

AJ608

Reaction score
Depending on the amp draw of your lights you can make them do whatever you want with the aux switches

MtnRider

Reaction score
Depending on the amp draw of your lights you can make them do whatever you want with the aux switches

The way Baja does the "low" circuit it would be difficult to do without using their relay harness. (or replicating something similar yourself).

I suppose you could take the resistor (or what ever other components they are using to limit the current) out of the baja Harness and put them in series with one aux switch output and have another switch output that is straight wired? They would both need to be tied to the single input wire of the light of course. That might work as well and would not require 2 switches to be on to go to low? I'd have to teat apart their harness just to see what they are doing to verify.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
could you not use some type of potentiometer to control bright level?

MtnRider

Reaction score
could you not use some type of potentiometer to control bright level?

You could but you would have to run the wires from the output of the Aux relay in the engine bay back into the cab, then back out to the light. And find a pot that could handle the current (not sure what that light is rated for?) and mount it somewhere (drilling holes in dash).

I'm in the camp of why would you ever want to dim it but it's the OP's choice? I've never wanted to or had a need to dim the light bar I have now, it's either on or off.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

relbus

Reaction score
I do not see myself ever wanting to dim the light bar. I heave never had the ability or need to in the past. I am just going to use Aux 1 and have it on high when it is switched on....much less complex. Thanks for helping me think through this. For those curious, here is the video I found of the install...
Onx6 Light bar 2019 Ram
Only video I could find of such an install. I would assume you would need to ground the - wire, but in his video he says not necessary...What gives?? That makes zero sense to me.

AJ608

Reaction score
The way Baja does the "low" circuit it would be difficult to do without using their relay harness. (or replicating something similar yourself).

I suppose you could take the resistor (or what ever other components they are using to limit the current) out of the baja Harness and put them in series with one aux switch output and have another switch output that is straight wired? They would both need to be tied to the single input wire of the light of course. That might work as well and would not require 2 switches to be on to go to low? I'd have to teat apart their harness just to see what they are doing to verify.

Doing that wouldn't you also need a diode in the low power wire (not sure it back feeding the switch would upset something in the truck) .... regardless that's a ton of work. I have 3 light bars and 4 flood lights on my work truck and never have I wanted them dimmer lol

MtnRider

Reaction score
Doing that wouldn't you also need a diode in the low power wire (not sure it back feeding the switch would upset something in the truck) .... regardless that's a ton of work. I have 3 light bars and 4 flood lights on my work truck and never have I wanted them dimmer lol

Normally that is the correct way to do it but in this case using the factory Aux switch output you are on the output side of each relay, not the driver (coil) side so no real danger there.

I have a similar circuit setup to what you are talking about in my truck so I can activate the light bar by the switch and/or my high beams. I have diodes on the coil driver side of the relay so I don't back drive the BCM (where I tied into high beam circuit) or the relay

rampulse

Reaction score
I do not see myself ever wanting to dim the light bar. I heave never had the ability or need to in the past. I am just going to use Aux 1 and have it on high when it is switched on....much less complex. Thanks for helping me think through this. For those curious, here is the video I found of the install...
Onx6 Light bar 2019 Ram
Only video I could find of such an install. I would assume you would need to ground the - wire, but in his video he says not necessary...What gives?? That makes zero sense to me.
Did you end up grounding that or not? I’m confused as well after installing the light bar.

Edit: The OnX6 may be able to be grounding through the housing and stainless brackets though probably not optimal. I painted all the mounting brackets black to hide and when adjusting the beam the light turned off so I immediately grounded to a frame bolt and will call it good.

Last edited:

Remy

Reaction score
4c32170df17557b299bfbbfd897e9809.jpg

I’m in the process of installing my onx6 but just wanted to be clear this bracket we do not need to use correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
4c32170df17557b299bfbbfd897e9809.jpg

I’m in the process of installing my onx6 but just wanted to be clear this bracket we do not need to use correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. That comes from Baja designs. You won’t need that with the brackets supplied by CJC.

Users who are viewing this thread