Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiper performance?

DrTron

Reaction score
All,,
am I the only one that has issues with their windshield wipers on the 2500?
I had written off the wipers that came with the truck as cost-saving noname wipers, but so far I've tried two different brand wipers (Bosch and Rain-X), and all of them don't really perform well. I have streaks all over the windshield in a light rain, and yes, I've cleaned the wiping edge, so there is no debris causing the streaks.

Maybe the spring in the wiper arms is too weak? I've driven 1500's before that, and none of them had this.

Thanks!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
All,,
am I the only one that has issues with their windshield wipers on the 2500?
I had written off the wipers that came with the truck as cost-saving noname wipers, but so far I've tried two different brand wipers (Bosch and Rain-X), and all of them don't really perform well. I have streaks all over the windshield in a light rain, and yes, I've cleaned the wiping edge, so there is no debris causing the streaks.

Maybe the spring in the wiper arms is too weak? I've driven 1500's before that, and none of them had this.

Thanks!
My 19 is flawless with cheap Michelin wipers

CdnHO

Reaction score
Any wax or something like Rain X on the window? Sounds like you have a film of something on the glass. I have been using Bosch blades with no issues.

Last edited:

DrTron

Reaction score
Any wax or something like Rain X on the window?
No, nothing. I do notice a run-off effect with the Rain-X wipers I currently have on, which is something they advertise with. But that's got little to do with the streaks.
Streaks usually happen when the wiper blade is worn, i.e. the edge is not good anymore and has gaps in it (unlikely as the wipers are two weeks old), or the wiper blade is not fully in contact with the windshield, meaning it's not firmly pressed against it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No, nothing. I do notice a run-off effect with the Rain-X wipers I currently have on, which is something they advertise with. But that's got little to do with the streaks.
Streaks usually happen when the wiper blade is worn, i.e. the edge is not good anymore and has gaps in it (unlikely as the wipers are two weeks old), or the wiper blade is not fully in contact with the windshield, meaning it's not firmly pressed against it.
Add on springs are dirt cheap so you could always try them to see if it helps, i always get a kick out of people who leave their wipers up when its going to snow they are doing nothing but making the springs weak (not saying you do that)

CdnHO

Reaction score
I used Rain-X on a windshield years ago and while the water ran off at highway speed the wipers streaked like crazy. Took several cleanings before getting it all off. Have not used Rain-X since. I suspect your Rain-X wipers has laid down a film on the glass. Use a good window cleaner on it and repeat several times.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Did you get the “mopar paint protection” when you bought your truck? They apply something to the windshield with that package so it could the cause too

DrTron

Reaction score
I suspect your Rain-X wipers has laid down a film on the glass. Use a good window cleaner on it and repeat several times.
They probably did that, like they're supposed to. I get the feeling that this is not fully thought-through.
But in any case, I had the same issue with the Bosch Clear Advantage before.

What are you guys running? Bosch Icons?

DrTron

Reaction score
Did you get the “mopar paint protection” when you bought your truck? They apply something to the windshield with that package so it could the cause too
I'm not aware of it. At least I didn't specifically order it. But in any case, the truck's 1.5 years old now, and has seen a fair share of downpours, so any factory applied coating will likely have worn down by now.

CdnHO

Reaction score
They probably did that, like they're supposed to. I get the feeling that this is not fully thought-through.
But in any case, I had the same issue with the Bosch Clear Advantage before.

What are you guys running? Bosch Icons?
Yes, I have been using the Bosch Icons after the first year. No issues.

Riddick

Reaction score
I thought the factory wipers were descent. I swapped them out with some cheap Michelin blades I picked up at Costco which still get the job done. I would prefer a set of entry level Bosch blades but I usually pick up whatever is available. Appreciate the reminder, I am about due for a new set!

DrTron

Reaction score
Ordered a set of Icons and will see how they do. But I don't think I've ever spent $60 on a set of wipers, TBH...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No issues with either the mopar or rain-x wipers. I also apply rain-x rain repellent to the windshield.

jsalbre

Reaction score
No issues with either the mopar or rain-x wipers. I also apply rain-x rain repellent to the windshield.
Same. I’m at 26k miles and still running the stock blades with no issues. I apply rainx every 6mo or so.

If every blade you run skips you may have sap or something on your windshield. Try giving it a really thorough cleaning and then wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. If that doesn’t work you might need to run a razor blade scraper over the whole thing.

DrTron

Reaction score
If every blade you run skips you may have sap or something on your windshield.
Not skipping, just streaking. And I don't think it's something on the windshield, oftentimes the stroke up wipes perfectly, but leaves streaks on the down stroke.
Also the nature of a radial streak points more toward the wiper than the glass.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Not skipping, just streaking. And I don't think it's something on the windshield, oftentimes the stroke up wipes perfectly, but leaves streaks on the down stroke.
Also the nature of a radial streak points more toward the wiper than the glass.
Still worth an attempt before throwing more money at it. It’s possible that something stuck to the windshield is damaging the wiper blades as they pass over it. It could even be a small chip in the windshield.

DrTron

Reaction score
I'll give it a shot.
Regarding the wiper being damaged by a chip or similar, I totally would agree were it a single streak.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect glass damage/wear with multiple sets of blades providing similar results. It doesn’t have to be much to effect the wipers. Pitting is harsh on wiper blades and their effectiveness, as are micro deposits on the glass.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been cautioned by the glass guys to not use a dry razor blade on windshield glass. If you do go that route, make sure you wet the area or use a good glass cleaner like Sprayway was you go.

Users who are viewing this thread