Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Front Grille Cover - Installed

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Mercury plummeted a few a few days ago and the forecast is for continued double-digit (centigrade) freezing temperatures. Time to install that winter front that came with the truck. It was not accompanied by any instructions so I pinged the maker (Cover King) and they were kind enough to send me a copy. The instructions didn't reveal any installation details over and above what I'd already figured out. Well, there was one exception. The lower flap of the cover that came with truck provides good coverage for lower grill. The flap also covers the centre Park Sense sensors and renders the front Park Sense system inop. Interestingly, the instructions I got from Cover King depict the lower flap of the cover with radiused cutouts at the lower outer corners that appear to allow the sensors to see fwd. Queried the dealer on this and there is apparently little to no information in their system re these covers. I've just turned off the front Park Sense for now but gonna get after FCA for an explanation. Not holding my breath, tho...

WinterFront.jpg
CoverKing.jpg

oaklandopen

Reaction score
That lower flap doesn't tuck between the lower grill and bumper? That would allow the center sensors to read. Wish I was by my truck now to look

AKDoug

Reaction score
I haven't had an issue at all making plenty of heat and keeping operating temp up at 10F. I don't plan on putting my front on until it's forecast for -20F for days in a row.

jpaeth

Reaction score
Don't the trucks have active shutters that close? Thought a winter front wouldn't be needed.
I have been wondering this myself. I'm also disappointed that there is no cutout for the front camera. I will be seeing how far I can push it into the cold weather without the cover and relying on the shutters so i don't have to give up the park aids. Luckily its been a very mild fall so far here in Idaho.

AFF

Reaction score
I have been wondering this myself. I'm also disappointed that there is no cutout for the front camera. I will be seeing how far I can push it into the cold weather without the cover and relying on the shutters so i don't have to give up the park aids. Luckily its been a very mild fall so far here in Idaho.

I'm in the arctic where we have -40 for weeks at a time. We don't use a winter front on Our '16 silverado and didn't on my '09 Ram.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
That lower flap doesn't tuck between the lower grill and bumper? That would allow the center sensors to read. Wish I was by my truck now to look
Negative. It's intended to cover the lower grill. Here's the install instructions:

Attachments

• DodgeRamColdWeatherCoverII (1).pdf
    725.3 KB · Views: 461

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Don't the trucks have active shutters that close? Thought a winter front wouldn't be needed.
The shutters were designed to increase the vehicle's aerodynamic efficiency while maintaining optimal engine temps. I don't believe they were ever intended to keep the engine hot in sub-zero temperatures.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I'm in the arctic where we have -40 for weeks at a time. We don't use a winter front on Our '16 silverado and didn't on my '09 Ram.
Same deal in this neck of the woods. Some use em, some don't. Those that clo claim faster engine warm ups and more heat at idle. I've noted a ballpark 20 percent improvement in the time it takes the engine to get to temp while at about -10C.

Battlecat204

Reaction score
I want to piggyback on this thread. I also had my winter front installed.

What in the actual f*** dodge engineers?
The winter front does indeed block the front camera and sets off the sensors while simulating a close object.

-leaky roof allowing water into the headliner, huge blindspot from the rearview mirror and emergency braking camera housing on windshield, no vertical heating pads in front buckets seats, hood that flops around on the highway, side mirrors that tilt too far down to their mechanical stops and don't always return, various software issue with uconnect and remote app connection issues etc.

I am very disappointed with my brand new "redesigned" 2019 2500 longhorn megacab.

I paid the cost of two work truck level trucks for this mega cab longhorn and switching brands to Ram. I hate thinking I got tricked by nice brown leather seat covers and bronzed plastic trim.

Anyone else share my frustrations or issues?

jpaeth

Reaction score
What are your engine coolant/oil/trans temps getting up to at -40? I grew up in Alaska and worked on the Arctic Slope for years, at that temp without any sort of radiator cover, some of our vehicles wouldn't even open the thermostat, let alone get near an optimal operating temperature.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
The lower flap of the cover that came with truck provides good coverage for lower grill. The flap also covers the centre Park Sense sensors and renders the front Park Sense system inop. Interestingly, the instructions I got from Cover King depict the lower flap of the cover with radiused cutouts at the lower outer corners that appear to allow the sensors to see fwd. Queried the dealer on this and there is apparently little to no information in their system re these covers. I've just turned off the front Park Sense for now but gonna get after FCA for an explanation. Not holding my breath, tho...

Been back and forth with the dealer and FCA over this issue. It appears that a revised P/N for the cover is showing on their system but is being held back due to supplier issues. We're assuming that this cover is representative of the illustration on the instructions and will allow the park sense system to work. Don't know either if it'll fix the adaptive cruise blocking. MTF...

tylerb79

Reaction score
I too got the cover with zero instructions. This is the only place on found them. How do you do the last step? The part where you need to tuck the material tabs between the headlight and the grill? Seems like a very tight space to shove the material through. I couldn't get it by hand, should I use a flat screw driver or maybe a small paint scraper to shove it in? Don't want to break the plastic grill.

Ramblingjohn

Reaction score
I too got the cover with zero instructions. This is the only place on found them. How do you do the last step? The part where you need to tuck the material tabs between the headlight and the grill? Seems like a very tight space to shove the material through. I couldn't get it by hand, should I use a flat screw driver or maybe a small paint scraper to shove it in? Don't want to break the plastic grill.
I have the same question. Was able to push the lower tabs in the small gap between grill and headlight using a screw driver but the top tab has no gap to push it into. The cover is loose on the upper grill curve without a way to fasten it. Wonder if my Tradesman grill is constructed different from the other grills in this area. Anybody with trim level above Tradesman able to comment on this?

tylerb79

Reaction score
yes, i have the tradesman too. I will try looking at it again in a few hours

Ramblingjohn

Reaction score
yes, i have the tradesman too. I will try looking at it again in a few hours
found YouTube video on installation. Upper tabs he pushed behind the chrome grill molding by pulling out on molding. Was installing in a heated shop. I did notice they suggest installing in 65 degree environment. Probably why I had trouble trying to push tab in this tight gap in 40 degree temps.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Notwithstanding the differences in the grills, the outer molding for all the grills appears to be the same. The tabs do compress and are not terribly difficult to get in there with a little patience. Start the corner first and press on the edge where the tab is attached to the cover and slowly work the length of the tab into the opening. I've had mine on/off/on in sub freezing temps. Some of the plastic hooks can be a PITA to unhook when you're removing the cover. A plastic trim tool is helpful for that.

TabsInstall.jpg

tylerb79

Reaction score
i see it now. I couldn't get those side ones near the headlights in. There's no space or give. I have it in a garage now. Maybe after a few hours it will slide in there. Thanks!

tylerb79

Reaction score
Ok, did mostly get that last tab in, between the headlight and grill. Again, seems too tight, not really enough space. Had to struggle with it for a while and may a bit more that 50% in, it should hold, just doesn't look too clean. I feel that the hard material inside is going to crease and break after doing that a few times. At least now the cover can do the job, even though the fit isn't perfect. thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread