Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Bed Weight

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Traction control, I laugh every time a salesman points it out. My response: “I have all the traction control I need at my disposal, it’s called my tight foot!” And the electronic version can get you stuck. Heck, in ten years, the average person will be too stupid to drive themselves.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I live in texas but am up in the colorado mountains multiple times a year, for weeks during snow season. the only weight on my bed is the softopper and a spare in the bed. I have always run some type of *yikes* 3 peak tires, currently toyo atIII. never had any issues getting around. maybe some of the weather I've driven through really wasn't that bad .. ;)

stickshifter

Reaction score
Traction control, I laugh every time a salesman points it out. My response: “I have all the traction control I need at my disposal, it’s called my tight foot!” And the electronic version can get you stuck. Heck, in ten years, the average person will be too stupid to drive themselves.
And its only getting worse. Automatic braking will be mandatory on all new vehicles soon...

stickshifter

Reaction score
Ya sipes are fabulous until you chew them across enough gravel. It‘s hard to find the right combination when you live in the sticks.:oops:
Yeah, I hear you. I drive 7 miles of rough dirt before I hit any pavement, and if its not covered in snow, my snow tires take a beating. I live pretty high (8,500 ft) and we get so much snow and ice that the snow tires are worth it for me. But I understand that we all live in different places! Both Goodyear (Wrangler Duratrac) and Cooper (ST Maxx) make an AT tire that can be studded if you find yourself on a lot of ice, but also want a tougher tire than a true snow tire. The rubber compound in these two AT tires is harder/tougher than the rubber you find in snow tires, so it won't give you the same grip in winter driving, but it will last longer. The Cooper ST Maxx will probably hold-up better to the gravel you drive on, and it has a tougher sidewall than the Wrangler Duratrac - if that matters to you. Also, the Cooper is made in the USA - and its always good to support domestic manufacturing. There is a little siping in the St Maxx, but not that much. Unfortunately, they aren't giving these away ;)

davis2

Reaction score
Ya sipes are fabulous until you chew them across enough gravel. It‘s hard to find the right combination when you live in the sticks.:oops:
I live a bit Southeast of Lake Ontario, we get snow by the yard, it seems. I just use the 4H lever. But when I drove the feed truck (tri-axle) I carried rock salt for traction when the hot tires needed to climb a driveway.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The only thing i would use for weight in my older duallys i plowed with was my 350lbs air ride 5th wheel hitch (never bothered to take it out) . I now have about 800lbs in the back of my 2500 only as counter balance because of my plow.... im up in northern ontario where we have tons of icy roads no need for weight just need to have decent tires

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
For those that dont tow much, or in my case, dont tow often, and have a Bronco with no back seat to offer protection, nor a safe way to secure ballast, you can make something that mounts to your hitch. Gets the weight as far back as possible too. This one a friend and I built, it is about 300lbs of lead and steel. That made the 1 ton Bronco ride WAY better, and helped significantly with plowing traction combined with snow tires. I wanted to add about another 100lbs to it, but I stopped plowing commercially the year after I finally made this, so it sits in my garage now. The receiver tube, and the little box on top are filled with lead.

Attachments

• Bronco.jpg
    Bronco.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 21

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
20201216_102524_HDR.jpg

The snow has started falling. We are about to get 24 hours of snow. Forecast is currently 18 inches.

I got my winter bed weight. Hope I will be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread