Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield tint w ceramic film

BAT3500

Reaction score
No issues so far removing or replacing registration stickers or toll tags on any of my vehicles with windshield tint. There is very little stickem to our state's registration stickers these days and any residue lift on window comes off easily with warm water or at worst rubbing alcohol.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
There is a clear UV tint someone was telling me about. I had like a 55% on my last truck and it was amazing.

I live in Arizona, and when it's 120 degrees outside. I still use a sunshade, but when you drive, you do not feel the heat transfer, the UV rays... and with my other windows done at 20% - I could turn my AC down a bit after driving.

Don't worry about cops. They will not pull you over just for that. Unless they are bored. But if you draw attention to yourself.. and drive like a tool... yeah they may look then.

I had it for 3-4 years and not 1 issue. Even at a stop light next to an LEO.

Gkockrow

Reaction score
I run 50% ceramic tint on my windshield and no issues. It made a noticeable difference with interior heat.

8f50916f381c4452d71bc69b9395c2c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using 80 percent ceramic on all windows. 70 percent on windshield. No issue with looking out at night. So far no problems from Calif cops. Just did 7500 miles cross country. No trouble. They may have bigger problems or don’t care. I vote don’t care.

G’Dave

Reaction score
For those that have tinted the windshields and have registration and or inspections stickers on there how do you deal with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great question!! I'll have to remember about it when the time comes, although I won't have to deal with it for a few years (Missouri is pretty lenient on their requirements for new vehicles).

Here is a pic of emissions sticker on my wife's 2019 Buick Cascada (it's a unicorn, so don't ask). She purchased it as a used vehicle in early 2021 form a dealer in AZ, so it needed a state inspection and emissions. The sticker is very flimsy with a strip of adhesive at each end and probably wouldn't damage any kind of UV film.

IMG_3359.JPG

G’Dave

Reaction score
There is a clear UV tint someone was telling me about. I had like a 55% on my last truck and it was amazing.

I live in Arizona, and when it's 120 degrees outside. I still use a sunshade, but when you drive, you do not feel the heat transfer, the UV rays... and with my other windows done at 20% - I could turn my AC down a bit after driving.

Don't worry about cops. They will not pull you over just for that. Unless they are bored. But if you draw attention to yourself.. and drive like a tool... yeah they may look then.

I had it for 3-4 years and not 1 issue. Even at a stop light next to an LEO.

Llumar and 3M both make a 90 tint, which filter 99% UV rays, but do not block the heat as well as darker tints. 3M Crysalline and Llumar Air Clear are the trade names.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Llumar and 3M both make a 90 tint, which filter 99% UV rays, but do not block the heat as well as darker tints. 3M Crysalline and Llumar Air Clear are the trade names.
True, U/V rejection has a very little effect on heat rejection. Regardless, for windshield glass U/V protection isn't a concern. Laminated glass in windshields absorb 100 percent of UVB rays (think sunburns), and around 98 percent of UVA rays. The tint guys always try to push that spec for windshields. Heat reduction however is what they should push.

johnnyjb

Reaction score
Ive got 70% nano ceramic on my windshield. Let me tell you. Life changing! I don't drive a whole lot at night but it's not bad.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
they just put a small square of clear tint where the reg sticker goes. you can see the outline of it on the right side. 20220722_102140.jpg

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I have the Llumar Air 90 product on my windshield along with 30% upfront and 20% over the factory rear tint. Totally worth the money down here in South Texas on those days when it was getting over 105 with the black Laramie interior(Even using a sunshade). I use the sticker shield for my registration and toll tag to keep the tint undamaged. They don't damage tinted windows and they also let you move parking passes around (where I 1st discovered the sticker shield). I do get a bit of that polarized sunglasses rainbow effect with my prescription oakleys, but it really only impacts the sky like my side/rear windows have on everything I've owned with any brand of decent quality heat rejection tint. At night it's actually a better driving experience as the Air 90 does cut down on glare without noticeably impacting my visibility at all compared to untinted.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Here in Arizona my wifes Doctor wrote a letter stating she needed a tinted front windshield for Migraines and sensitivity to light. She submitted that letter to MVD and they have their medical staff review it. She was then sent a certified letter that allows her to have a tinted front windshield.

She was stopped a few times but the letter from the MVD always ended that conversation - now that everything is all electronic for the MVD they have not pulled her over because they can see that letter in the system.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Varies greatly by precinct. We put ceramic windshield tint (80%) on all our vehicles starting in 2015 and never had a shop bat an eye and never been stopped. (Not legal) and We also Have darker than legal front sides. Georgia.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Varies greatly by precinct. We put ceramic windshield tint (80%) on all our vehicles starting in 2015 and never had a shop bat an eye and never been stopped. (Not legal) and We also Have darker than legal front sides. Georgia.

Windshield tint AND a removed swaybar???

BRO? You have a death wish or what?!?!?!?

matemike

Reaction score
Been trying to get scheduled to tint my front windows, but I inquired about the 80% ceramic windshield tint today on the phone with my tint guy. He said he does it and it's a very good product. It has more heat deflection than 5% limo tint. I'm not worried about the legal part, not likely to get busted for it. And it is removable if it ever became a problem.

But here's my hesitation. He said if my truck has a dash speaker or any computer electronics in the dash, and he specifically said "like these new Ram's", that there is a risk of getting liquid in the electronic components during the ceramic tint application process. He has seen things gets messed up; Lights flicker, screens go blank, speaker sounded crappy or quit working, etc. He said he uses a dash mat and puts a lot of precaution in place now after finding this out the hard way, but he wanted me to know the risk. I just don't know if I'll be doing it now. Maybe after a few years of owning the truck.

bwf1911

Reaction score
Been trying to get scheduled to tint my front windows, but I inquired about the 80% ceramic windshield tint today on the phone with my tint guy. He said he does it and it's a very good product. It has more heat deflection than 5% limo tint. I'm not worried about the legal part, not likely to get busted for it. And it is removable if it ever became a problem.

But here's my hesitation. He said if my truck has a dash speaker or any computer electronics in the dash, and he specifically said "like these new Ram's", that there is a risk of getting liquid in the electronic components during the ceramic tint application process. He has seen things gets messed up; Lights flicker, screens go blank, speaker sounded crappy or quit working, etc. He said he uses a dash mat and puts a lot of precaution in place now after finding this out the hard way, but he wanted me to know the risk. I just don't know if I'll be doing it now. Maybe after a few years of owning the truck.
Glad you finally have your truck. I went with 70% xpel cr+ on windshield and rear doors, 30%on front doors and 55 on the back glass. Go though llumar or Xpel website and find an authorized installer. The company I used had no problem doing windshield and made no mention of problems with electronics. BTW they gave me a static cling sticker for inspection and toll tag and said stop by every year for life to replace it. Not bad.

Attachments

• 2022Ram.jpg
    2022Ram.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 16

kkerley

Reaction score
I am getting mine done next Friday, 70 on windshield, back doors and back glass. Going back and forth between 20 or 30 for front doors, installer said 20 to match factory, but I don’t want too dark to make backing an issue, towing gooseneck and I back into the garage due to driveway angle. Anyone have any opinions to sway me one way or another?

matemike

Reaction score
I went 20% ceramic on the front and got the 90% ceramic (clear) on the back doors and back glass. I’m happy with it.

We talked more about the windshield ceramic and I’m more comfortable with the idea now. He showed me his mitigations for keeping everything under the dash dry. But he also told me that oil change guys and whatnot have gouged that film on the windshield when removing stickers with a scraper. So I’m gonna see if I’m happy with my current tint job and just hold off a little longer to do my windshield.

Attachments

• 7476D2F0-D858-4674-B681-7BA7935AC53C.jpeg
    7476D2F0-D858-4674-B681-7BA7935AC53C.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 22
  • 328F637F-0520-491A-A420-5093253BB21C.jpeg
    328F637F-0520-491A-A420-5093253BB21C.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 23
  • BA86021E-3972-41C1-AED2-AE560A8F810A.jpeg
    BA86021E-3972-41C1-AED2-AE560A8F810A.jpeg
    602.7 KB · Views: 22

bwf1911

Reaction score
I am getting mine done next Friday, 70 on windshield, back doors and back glass. Going back and forth between 20 or 30 for front doors, installer said 20 to match factory, but I don’t want too dark to make backing an issue, towing gooseneck and I back into the garage due to driveway angle. Anyone have any opinions to sway me one way or another?
I matched the rear and have had no issues. However, have not backed out much at night.

Users who are viewing this thread