Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield replacement recommendations wanted.

M85P

Reaction score
Cracked windshield starting from far edge, beyond the black dots on passenger side on brand new 2022 2500 Limited. Windshield has Ram logo in corner and rows of black dots surrounding the windshield along the edge. Want a OEM. I have heard different stories regarding things not working correctly after installs. Would you recommend Safelite or Dealer?

mkmsr

Reaction score
Dealership most likely doesn't install windshields, I've never seen one who does. They will schedule you, take your money and have a local windshield facility perform the work on site. Even if your local dealer does it would be my choice to have someone who installs windshields all day everyday and will have me on the road in an hour or less. Dealerships are for recalls and warranty work in my opinion.

M85P

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the rows of black dots surrounding the windshield’s edges for?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's an insurance claim, many insurance companies require you to pay the difference between whatever Safelite (et.al) offers and OEM price. I believe mine required a $200 upcharge. Discounted prince on the glass (less shipping) on most online sites is around $530.

I'm getting mine covered under a larger hail claim and that's what I was told. Safelite guarantees the work and is on the hook with the ins carrier too.

Per Jimmy, jut don't let them try to calibrate the ACC/FCW systems if they exist, it's not needed if the windschield has the proper fret (those dots) and the cutouts for sensors, and the correct mirror mount. Looks like all models use the same part number

jsalbre

Reaction score
The fret also helps with creating a smoother temperature gradient across the glass, so it doesn’t have a concentration of stress at the edge of the blacked out portions.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Per Jimmy, jut don't let them try to calibrate the ACC/FCW systems if they exist, it's not needed if the windschield has the proper fret (those dots) and the cutouts for sensors, and the correct mirror mount. Looks like all models use the same part number

Wish I had seen this before getting mine replaced. Safelite did use OEM glass, but they screwed up the lane departure part when they attempted to re-calibrate it. What is weird is that it almost never works on the freeway now. But on rural roads, where the lines aren't as wide as major roads, it works maybe 70% of the time.
I need to take it back to them because they also had replaced the driver's front window that got hit by a rock. But the window they put it has flaws in it. I ordered a factory window from moparparts online or close to $200 less than what they charged me for the one I got. Found out at that time my deductible was more than the windows (2 separate claims).

jeffn

Reaction score
I had mine replaced at Safelite. They used OEM glass, I think the cost was $600

Users who are viewing this thread