Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind Noise

Jeff1759

Reaction score
Just returned from a 3 week trip, put 7,500 miles on my truck. It's a 2021 3500 Hemi. I mostly notice in windy/cold weather, both front doors, but maybe especially the drivers side because it is right next to my ear, does not seem to seal tightly.
I can both hear and feel, when putting my hand up to the upper rear of drivers front window/door frame, a lot of air movement. as well as a small gap. Very annoying to hear this and feel cold air on a $60,000+ truck.
Have I got an issue I should or even can address under warranty, or is this common for Ram trucks?

jadmt

Reaction score
I do a lot of road trips in cold weather (i live in montana) and my 2020 2500 hemi does not have that problem. It is extremely air tight around the doors. My wife always comments how quiet it is when traveling. It is under warranty i would have it looked at or check the seal and make sure it is still secured

Jeff1759

Reaction score
Surprised there aren't more responses to this thread. I guess I'm just unlucky to have this issue.
There is a LONG thread on 5th Gen Ram Forums about this.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/wind-noise.2614/
Made an appointment with dealer, but hesitant to get caught up in the long game with no solution and a lot of my time taken.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Surprised there aren't more responses to this thread. I guess I'm just unlucky to have this issue.
There is a LONG thread on 5th Gen Ram Forums about this.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/wind-noise.2614/
Made an appointment with dealer, but hesitant to get caught up in the long game with no solution and a lot of my time taken.
Well the 5th gen ram is a different cab than our 4.5 gens so they cant be compared, my 19 is flawless (was flawless before deer) is perfectly sealed….

I can tell you exactly what the fix is and what they will do (very common bodyshop practice) they will put their knee on the inside of the door and pull the upper door frame in ever so slightly to fix the seal as they can get bowed out i used to have to do it to my jeeps every year as its very common on the wranglers

Jeff1759

Reaction score
I've heard of that fix.
The first post in the link above from the website 5th Gen Rams was made in Oct 2018 up through this year. Seems like a lot of trucks.
I'm confused. A 2018'ish truck is not considered a 5th gen? It's just the name of the website.
Anyway, glad you're not having a problem and thanks for the tip.

tyler2you

Reaction score
I've heard of that fix.
The first post in the link above from the website 5th Gen Rams was made in Oct 2018 up through this year. Seems like a lot of trucks.
I'm confused. A 2018'ish truck is not considered a 5th gen? It's just the name of the website.
The 1500 got a complete redesign for MY 2019 (trucks started showing up at dealers in Oct 2018). This is generally referred to as the 5th Gen of the 1500 platform.
The HDs got a refresh for MY 2019, but the cab remained essentially unchanged. Most folks refer to the 2019 HDs as Gen 4.5.

I think @H3LZSN1P3R was just saying the thread on the other forum is specific to the 5th Gen RAM 1500 platform.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've heard of that fix.
The 5th gen ram 1500 (19+ new body) started production around july 2018 so they dont have the same cab as we do in the HD trucks we have a 4.5gen

Jeff1759

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm forever reminded I'm not too old to learn something new!

Jeff1759

Reaction score
Just a follow up. Took to dealer yesterday. As suspected, they could not reproduce. Everything looked good. The service person said she noticed there was, can't remember her exact words, a revived or updated part # for the seal that is inside the window opening and makes contact with the glass with window up.
I do not think this will do anything to address my problem.
She has ordered this part and will call when it is in.

Users who are viewing this thread