Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winch Setup

areuriding

Reaction score
So I havent looked through the manual but I wanted to know if it's easy or difficult to set the winch up. What I mean is the rope is on the spool and not through the winch plate at the front bumper and the hook is in a bag. How does the rope feed from the winch, is it a straight shot?

MtnRider

Reaction score
Pull the cable through the hole in the bumper and attach the hook. Something the dealer should have done during the vehicle prep but it's easy enough to do.

areuriding

Reaction score
Ok kool sounds easy enough.. I'll knock that out when I get home. Thanks!

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’ll add to make sure the rope is running straight from the spool through the bumper. Several members have reported that their dealership ran the rope over or under bracketry before going out of the bumper. This will destroy the rope and potentially the brackets if you try to pull a heavy load in that condition.

areuriding

Reaction score
Uh oh, that ain't good... is it obvious how to run it? Or is it just a straight shop from the spool straight forward through the winch plate?

jsalbre

Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious. Just a straight shot.

No need to overthink it.

areuriding

Reaction score
Right on.. I'm just a little OCD, when my brain goes there I kinda lose my ****.. 30 years in the Army

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Right on.. I'm just a little OCD, when my brain goes there I kinda lose my ****.. 30 years in the Army
Also be sure to pre-tension the line on the spool before you use the winch. I spooled my line all the way out, hooked mine to my jeep with it in neutral and then spooled it in up the driveway. That's something specific to synthetic winch line.

RPS1030

Reaction score
Also be sure to pre-tension the line on the spool before you use the winch. I spooled my line all the way out, hooked mine to my jeep with it in neutral and then spooled it in up the driveway. That's something specific to synthetic winch line.
Steel cable needs that also. Might actually bird nest even worse once lines pull thru the lower wraps.

jetrinka

Reaction score
As stated its a straight shot - just run it out till there's roughly 6 loops left on the drum, hook it to something that won't move and slowly pull the truck towards it to tension the line. It should self spool pretty well. Then yer done!

areuriding

Reaction score
Thanks guys... I'll set it up this weekend when I can hook the jeep to it and pull....

areuriding

Reaction score
I completed the winch set up but I have another question. There was a part in the big bag that I can't figure out. It's a plastic piece of some sort. almost looks like a cover for something. I believe the part # Z60421723. I searched that along with every other number on the bag and came up empty. Any ideas???

jsalbre

Reaction score
It’s the cover for the plug on the back of the bed when you remove your tailgate.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
As stated its a straight shot - just run it out till there's roughly 6 loops left on the drum, hook it to something that won't move and slowly pull the truck towards it to tension the line. It should self spool pretty well. Then yer done!
This.

If you want the truck to roll in neutral you need to have the parking brake slightly set or the truck will auto park on you.

Also. Don’t hook it to the Toyota you’ll drag it out of the garage.

jetrinka

Reaction score
This.

If you want the truck to roll in neutral you need to have the parking brake slightly set or the truck will auto park on you.

Hahaha poor Toyota! It just wanted to come out and play

2powerwagons

Reaction score
This.

You can disable autopark with the new version of alfaobd. on the 22+ BCM.
I've only tested it from the open door aspect and not the truck in neutral aspect though.
VehConfig 3: Auto Park Present

Users who are viewing this thread