Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will there be a recall on the radio?

Agar426

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 just over a year, and am scheduled to get my third 12" unit installed next week. I love the truck, and if I were to do it again, I would still order the 12" upgrade, but damn....I wish some of the functions weren't tied to it. It goes black, and won't respond. Or, the touch access doesn't work, so it's just a decoration at that point. My fear is that this trend will persist, with the radio crapping out every few months, and when the warranty runs out, a trip to the dealership is then accompanied by a huge cost. If it was just a radio, then no big deal (well, it is, but....), but climate functions are tied in, camera functions, etc. When it craps out, I can only turn the fan up and down, temp up and down, and I have to guess which mode it's in. All other functions are dead. I see enough posts on the topic, I can't imagine that Ram would want such a thing on one of the features they brag about. Will there be a recall? Are or will there be aftermarket options? Is Alpine working on something, etc?

I guess I'm just frustrated. This is my third Ram, second Cummins, and I don't see myself going another way when it comes to HD trucks. But damn, when you pay enough for a truck that would almost buy you a house in some parts of the country, I would think that I should be able to turn on the features that I paid for.

Sorry for the rant....

BlueOvalBruin

Reaction score
Keep the records of your warranty claims and if it keeps happening (and depending on the state you're in) you might have a lemon law claim.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I've had my 2019 just over a year, and am scheduled to get my third 12" unit installed next week. I love the truck, and if I were to do it again, I would still order the 12" upgrade, but damn....I wish some of the functions weren't tied to it. It goes black, and won't respond. Or, the touch access doesn't work, so it's just a decoration at that point. My fear is that this trend will persist, with the radio crapping out every few months, and when the warranty runs out, a trip to the dealership is then accompanied by a huge cost. If it was just a radio, then no big deal (well, it is, but....), but climate functions are tied in, camera functions, etc. When it craps out, I can only turn the fan up and down, temp up and down, and I have to guess which mode it's in. All other functions are dead. I see enough posts on the topic, I can't imagine that Ram would want such a thing on one of the features they brag about. Will there be a recall? Are or will there be aftermarket options? Is Alpine working on something, etc?

I guess I'm just frustrated. This is my third Ram, second Cummins, and I don't see myself going another way when it comes to HD trucks. But damn, when you pay enough for a truck that would almost buy you a house in some parts of the country, I would think that I should be able to turn on the features that I paid for.

Sorry for the rant....
Mine has only gone black once. Of course, it did it the first time I was giving some friends a ride. I had just left the house so I pulled over and restarted the truck and it all came back to normal. I wasn't sure if it was something I had done or not since I had been going over features before we left. Seemed to be when I plugged in my phone I didn't notice it right away so I am not sure. It has been solid since then though. (Knocking on wood)

Users who are viewing this thread