Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the mileage get better or is this what I should expect?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I’m not sure what was unfair…just commenting on my experience. Pros and cons as I said. I also wasn’t trying to compare the two as I’m well aware that diesel and gas systems are two very different animals. I was more using my experience with one vs the other as a point of reference - sorry I wasn’t clearer on that.

I debated over ordering the Cummins - its reputation is bulletproof and I’m sure it would handle my 7000# trailer with ease. Given the relatively light towing load, the amount of non-towing driving we do with the truck, and overall additional lifelong expense of a diesel system, I opted for gas. A mechanic friend and I were discussing this and his view is that the gas engine is designed to do exactly what it’s doing and it’s nothing to worry about. Of course - now I’m anticipating 5000+RPM on anything above a 9% grade and let’s just say that’s going to feel unsettling even if that’s exactly what it’s designed and built to do….

The Chevy only got 13.5 mpg towing anyway so it’s not like either “animal” gets high marks on fuel efficiency. If CSX trains can move one ton of weight 492 miles on one gallon of fuel, then truck manufacturers should be working on similar hybrids that can move a 7.5 ton rig 65.6 miles on one gallon of fuel. At that rate, a tiny 10 gallon tank would provide 656 miles of range. That wouldn’t suck!

I think the practical reality of tank RANGE being so limited is worth noting. A suggestion has been made that I might be able to swap in the 50 gallon tank and I will absolutely look in to that to address that concern. Even if I can only get 8 mpg towing at true highway speeds, at least that buys me more reasonable overall range.

First world problems no matter how you slice it for sure - just putting it out there.

You made the best decision you possibly could given the primary use/s of your new truck.

Just understand where you "compromised" in your decision is towing. Accept that the gas motor will be working harder during this type of use and it is what it is. You won't hurt it, although those steep grades will have you staring at your gauges im sure.

The upside is a beautiful sounding motor, a quicker, more "light" feeling truck when unloaded, and an up front savings of $9k+.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
You made the best decision you possibly could given the primary use/s of your new truck.

Just understand where you "compromised" in your decision is towing. Accept that the gas motor will be working harder during this type of use and it is what it is. You won't hurt it, although those steep grades will have you staring at your gauges im sure.

The upside is a beautiful sounding motor, a quicker, more "light" feeling truck when unloaded, and an up front savings of $9k+.
I appreciate that. I think the #1 thing was the coils which somehow do really prevent road bumps from running up or jamming my spine. The cab feels “floatier” somehow and even my wife agreed it feels different. So that was primary. Way too early to give up camping just yet!

So that’s good.

I’m sure I’ll get used to it after a while. I did over 135K miles in the Chevy and I’m only 1K in on the RAM.

One other positive I’ve noted - and I’d love to test this in a Cummins 2500 - the steering is MUCH easier/quicker than I’m used to. Not sure if that’s a function of less weight in the engine compartment, a different ratio in the power steering geometry or what - but definitely a benefit.

As for the 50 gallon tank - it seems Mopar’s 50 gallon gas (not diesel) tank simply won’t fit in my truck. If I’m wrong there I’d love to be pointed in the right direction. I know there may be aftermarket options but I’m not headed there just yet.

More later I suppose - thanks again!

Scvette

Reaction score
That about what I’m getting with my 2022 Drw 6.7 HO with 37” tires on it. I also have the 4.10s
Out of 4 CTD best I saw on the 2017 2500 deleted 15 in town.

2019 3500 SRW HO 3.73 gears got 14 in town.

2021 3500 DRW SO 3.73 gears 14 in town.

2022 3500 DRW HO 4.10 gears..
12~13 in town.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
A 50 gallon fuel tank for me would be useless and dead weight. Between Myself, Wife and two dogs, someone has to pee every 100 miles. So we just fill up every other stop.
Well, there’s that reality too - one less dog here but same situation…I guess that makes sense….so long as I’m not in some stretch with 250 miles between gas stations…

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
Well, there’s that reality too - one less dog here but same situation…I guess that makes sense….so long as I’m not in some stretch with 250 miles between gas stations…
A larger tank allows you to be more discerning in your fill ups. While we stop every 200 miles or so, I don't need to fill up every time and have the range to take advantage of lower prices in some areas while others are known to be exorbitant. We'll top off in larger towns or in states with lower taxes just to avoid having to stop for a while in areas which are less populated or known to have higher fuel prices.

Ironlungs

Reaction score
I’m not sure what was unfair…just commenting on my experience. Pros and cons as I said. I also wasn’t trying to compare the two as I’m well aware that diesel and gas systems are two very different animals. I was more using my experience with one vs the other as a point of reference - sorry I wasn’t clearer on that.

I debated over ordering the Cummins - its reputation is bulletproof and I’m sure it would handle my 7000# trailer with ease. Given the relatively light towing load, the amount of non-towing driving we do with the truck, and overall additional lifelong expense of a diesel system, I opted for gas. A mechanic friend and I were discussing this and his view is that the gas engine is designed to do exactly what it’s doing and it’s nothing to worry about. Of course - now I’m anticipating 5000+RPM on anything above a 9% grade and let’s just say that’s going to feel unsettling even if that’s exactly what it’s designed and built to do….

The Chevy only got 13.5 mpg towing anyway so it’s not like either “animal” gets high marks on fuel efficiency. If CSX trains can move one ton of weight 492 miles on one gallon of fuel, then truck manufacturers should be working on similar hybrids that can move a 7.5 ton rig 65.6 miles on one gallon of fuel. At that rate, a tiny 10 gallon tank would provide 656 miles of range. That wouldn’t suck!

I think the practical reality of tank RANGE being so limited is worth noting. A suggestion has been made that I might be able to swap in the 50 gallon tank and I will absolutely look in to that to address that concern. Even if I can only get 8 mpg towing at true highway speeds, at least that buys me more reasonable overall range.

First world problems no matter how you slice it for sure - just putting it out there.
I have a 2018 2500 diesel I use for river and lake trips with a 3.25 carli lift. From LA to Laughlin I’ve gotten 19.4-20.8.
Once I got there Towing 12,000 boat
11.5-14.5 from Laughlin to havasu and back. Just a little from my experience.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Well, I’ve just crossed the 1000 mile mark with my 2022 2500 Limited Longhorn Hemi 6.4. The first 500 miles were break-in miles (100 below 55 mph and 3500 rpm, 100-300 <70 mph, 5000 rpm, 300-500 full range) then I was able to hitch the trailer - a 7000# Airstream (on the scales) and in the second 500 miles, 200 of that was towing. Note that the manual wants the first 500 towing miles to be at 50 mph which honestly isn’t safe. I have been doing 55 on the cruise control with tow haul engaged (manual wants it whenever towing) and have noticed it does go in to eco mode down some slopes but can whine at 3500 going up slight slopes…

Computer says full 1000 miles so far averaging 11.9 MPG and hand calculations for towing come in at 10.5.

My prior truck was a Duramax which averaged 13.5 towing, and never broke a sweat - up 6% grades at 1700 rpm….

It’s going to take a while to get used to this but basically, with 3 fewer MPG towing and 9 fewer gallons in the tank, the range is cut in half! And when I actually start towing this thing at 65-70 mph I’m sure the mileage will drop even further. How does RAM not know how to make this much more efficient??

Seems to ride really well - my theory on coils being better on the spinal arthritis than leaf springs was correct. But man - I wasn’t prepared for the pig-like gas consumption and much more limited range with the tiny gas tank….dang…..

I also really wish I understood that had I ordered the 8’ bed (instead of 6.4 with mega cab) I could have opted for a 50+ gallon tank. That would be great…

There are lots of pros - and unfortunately maybe just as many cons with this truck. I’m really going to have to figure out how to optimize it. Kind of lukewarm at this point….
May be bad form to reply to myself, but had an interesting experience since posting this I wanted to update…

Whenever I fill the tank, I zero out Trip B and track the mileage. Went to MA from CT yesterday starting with about 75 miles or so on trip B. Got to our destination and on the way home stopped for gas. Computer and hand calculations matched at 15.1 mpg - the majority of that being highway miles. Then continued the trip back to CT and with cruise control and many moments of eco on the dash, the return trip (basically all highway) registered 18.0 on the computer (haven’t validated with hand calcs yet - and my morning in-town bagel run dropped it down to 17.5). But that’s significantly better than I was experiencing. All of this is still too early to tell - I’m only a little over 1300 miles in so far but it seems unhitched I should at least be able to match the 15 mpg I was getting with the Duramax and we’ll have to see about towing as we add more miles there.

223500DRW

Reaction score
for reference I get close to that as well. I have a 22 3500 drw ho 50 gal tank and 4 10s I get 600 to a tank of fuel. currently only have 700 miles on the truck but only time will tell for me however I. happy with mileage. my 01 ford excursion has 44 gallon tank and I gwt about 550 out of it. and rhats not even as big and heavy as this 3500 so I'd say great mileage in my case.

JMT

Reaction score
I have 3000 miles on my '22 6.4l and hand calculated the mileage for the first time today, got 9.9 mpg and computer said 10.5 mpg. This was mostly in town driving. I have yet to get over 14 mpg on any trip.

Tri J

Reaction score
First road trip today. Truck had 250 miles on the odometer.
Drove 430.5 miles on highways with 55 to 75mph speed limits. Didn't use cruise control.
Display showed 17.9 mpg when I got back home.
6.4/3.73

Ron045

Reaction score
First road trip today. Truck had 250 miles on the odometer.
Drove 430.5 miles on highways with 55 to 75mph speed limits. Didn't use cruise control.
Display showed 17.9 mpg when I got back home.
6.4/3.73
This is my experience in a no towing highway drive. I drove 280 mile RT to the airport. 18 there and 17 back. I had some loiter time and traffic on the return. I am a heavy cruise user and did the speed limits which were 65-70. I have the 6.4/3.73 also.

Still trying to get use to the adaptive cruise. It really does make me a gentle driver as I seem to accept the slower speed of the person in front of me and elect not to pass all of the time. Sometimes the truck aggressively slows down instead of a gentle brake application. My Wife usually says, "What are you doing?" and my reply, "It's not me it's the truck".

Dingo

Reaction score
'22 Power Wagon. Average for first thousand miles was 12.9 mpg. I'm easy on the throttle as hundred dollar fill-ups tend to put me in a foul mood.

Edit: I installed a Borla exhaust. Obviously I got it for reasons other than fuel economy, but I thought it would be nice if the reduced weight or whatever got me over the 13 mpg hump. A week later an my average mpg is 12.5. Turns out the exhaust encourages behavior inconsistent with conserving fuel - but it's totally worth it.

Last edited:

Thisnthat

Reaction score
'22 Power Wagon. Average for first thousand miles was 12.9 mpg. I'm easy on the throttle as hundred dollar fill-ups tend to put me in a foul mood.

imagine how us with a 50 gal tank feel...

the two times i've taken a deep breath while filling up have been when I put $200 in ($100 twice) when it was around a 1/4 left in the tank and the other was when i had over a half tank and heard the pump click off and i turned around and it shut off at $100 and still didn't fill it up. guy across from me in a lil car got a good laugh when i put the pump back up...guess i was muttering something

Calef_HD

Reaction score
I've been tracking fuel mileage since day 1. This is what I'm getting so far with just one short distance towing. The 19.03 was a 300 mile highway road trip. My first long road trip towing 8k is coming up this weekend.

1653383983039.png

IDK_Ram

Reaction score
Chiming in: 2022 first 1,000 miles, 6.4 CCSB 3.73
I've been living on a mountain here in CT. ..and this hill is killing my mileage.
I get about 3-7mpg coming in and out of my driveway and up/down the mtn but then I get up to 18mpg on the rural roads through upstate CT... for an average of 14 mpg. I can cruise a lightly crowded route and get a solid 18...then turn into a town and blow any gains in a few blocks of traffic and lights.

I am super-curious how this will do in Montana, where I live year-round.
My driving there is ALL highway @ 80mph then county roads (off-road) at 50mph. I have a feeling 80 on the highway is going to be as bad as the traffic towns on the east coast.

All-in-all - the results today and the information in this forum seem to indicate a 6.4 will get approx 12-14mpg avg.
It's better to be pragmatic here than optimistic that this HEMI will do any better than that, empty... and will only get worse with load.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Another mostly highway trip and the computer says 17.9. Before this I had a blended trip of about 250 miles - maybe 80% highway - computer said 17.3 but hand calculations were 16.7. Still - highway non-towing mileage is definitely going to be better than my Chevy diesel where the best I could do there was 15. But towing - that’s where it’s going to hurt more I think. 13.5 with the Chevy - I’m expecting 8-10 depending on circumstances with the Hemi.

Definitely getting to like and appreciate this truck the more I’m in it - just passed over 1500 miles. Getting used to it!

SGTRAM

Reaction score
A mix of highway and city on my 2019 2500 diesel.

404d7cb1e7e940fe7877332a1d5c0953.jpg

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Chiming in: 2022 first 1,000 miles, 6.4 CCSB 3.73
I've been living on a mountain here in CT. ..and this hill is killing my mileage.
I get about 3-7mpg coming in and out of my driveway and up/down the mtn but then I get up to 18mpg on the rural roads through upstate CT... for an average of 14 mpg. I can cruise a lightly crowded route and get a solid 18...then turn into a town and blow any gains in a few blocks of traffic and lights.

I am super-curious how this will do in Montana, where I live year-round.
My driving there is ALL highway @ 80mph then county roads (off-road) at 50mph. I have a feeling 80 on the highway is going to be as bad as the traffic towns on the east coast.

All-in-all - the results today and the information in this forum seem to indicate a 6.4 will get approx 12-14mpg avg.
It's better to be pragmatic here than optimistic that this HEMI will do any better than that, empty... and will only get worse with load.
I live in Montana. I sit around 12.5-13.5 every tank. I also have 4.10's

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Just did a 870 mile road trip. Little bit of mountains.
No load. Didnt baby it much but tried to keep it under 80.
Got 14.8 MPG for the total trip. Best I've ever seen out of her.

Users who are viewing this thread