Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the mileage get better or is this what I should expect?

dm6

Reaction score
Maybe it will get a little better than the breakin period. I took it on a 500 mile round trip on the freeway and it was in the 13 range. Since then, I have hand calculated a couple of freeway trips at 15.5 and 16.5. However, that is purely freeway. I hand calculate it every time I fill up and with a mix or mostly around town, it is still in the 12-13 range. Like someone else said, the stop and go really kills it but I guess if you were to go on a trip, maybe you will get in that 15-17 range, which doesn't seem too bad.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
13-ish around town
16-ish on the highway (doing 70mph)... 14-ish doing 80 BTW
Fuelly in my Sig which shows what I've been tracking

Ron045

Reaction score
Took a longer trip today to the Allentown train show. Spent most of my miles on I81 and I78 with Cruse set at 67. Reset the mpg and was able to get 17.6 mpg.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Took a longer trip today to the Allentown train show. Spent most of my miles on I81 and I78 with Cruse set at 67. Reset the mpg and was able to get 17.6 mpg.
My CC and ACC is entirely unusable... it constantly speeds up and slows down...

Hibiki54

Reaction score
20222 2500 6.7 Night with Airbags

15-16 around town. Stop and go. Short trips.

Low 20’s highway

17ish combined

Haven’t towed yet. Probably get to that in the 2-3 weeks when the airstream comes in.

Nothing empirical but I feel as though th milage is slowly improving. I think I have about 1300 miles on the truck since taking delivery Dec 19th
A visitor from the distant future, I see. ;) No flying cars yet or hovering skate boards, either.

2022 2500 Power Wagon and I'm only getting 10 MPG on average in 3500 miles since early Oct 2021. I do a lot of city driving and only travel far when I go wheeling. Stock 33in Duratracs.

Update: I reset my MPG and made a trip on highway with moderate traffic. Around 17-18 MPG on a short trip. I believe my 10 MPG is not a true reading because I do have a high idle time from sitting in my truck getting in a few more Zzz's with the heater on 30 mins before I walk in to work.

Last edited:

VegasMoxie

Reaction score
A visitor from the distant future, I see. ;) No flying cars yet or hovering skate boards, either.

2022 2500 Power Wagon and I'm only getting 10 MPG on average in 3500 miles since early Oct 2021. I do a lot of city driving and only travel far when I go wheeling. Stock 33in Duratracs.

Update: I reset my MPG and made a trip on highway with moderate traffic. Around 17-18 MPG on a short trip. I believe my 10 MPG is not a true reading because I do have a high idle time from sitting in my truck getting in a few more Zzz's with the heater on 30 mins before I walk in to work.
The computer on every CJDR vehicle I’ve owned has always been off. Fill your tank and zero the trip mileage, next fill up divide the trip miles by gallons added and that will be your actual mileage. There are apps and paper ledgers available to track mileage if you really want it.

MT1

Reaction score
I've only filled up three times since getting the truck. First fill up was about 16.6mpg. Second was 16. Thirst was 17.7 mpg. All per gas buddy fuel log.

mike12193

Reaction score
Not sure where you live but I've always gotten better mileage in the summer vs winter. Both gas and diesel. Especially city driving..

There are summer blends and winter blends of gas. Is the same true for diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moparfan06

Reaction score
There are summer blends and winter blends of gas. Is the same true for diesel?

Yes. Winter blend diesel is a mix of #1 diesel and #2 diesel. In the summer months, #2 diesel is what is used. Most stations in my area have the winter blend fuel from October to March.

Basser53

Reaction score
The computer on every CJDR vehicle I’ve owned has always been off. Fill your tank and zero the trip mileage, next fill up divide the trip miles by gallons added and that will be your actual mileage. There are apps and paper ledgers available to track mileage if you really want it.
My last 3 rams have all been +or - .5 gal or so to hand calculating when on a trip.. figuring by hand can also be flawed . Seting on a different angle ,getting more in on one fill to the next etc.. averaging 3 or 4 tanks in a row would be more accurate.. nothing is exact..

G’Dave

Reaction score
Drove 168 miles to trade in my 2021 CC LB 6.4 with 8200 miles. 12.7 mpg. Drove my 2022 CC LB CTD home and got 16.4 mpg.

Not now diesel in 4.99 gallon- so I ain’t saved much.

It’s hard to make a strong argument for “saving money” with a diesel when the engine is so big (compared to the Hemi). 6.7 vs 6.4. It’s more about towing capacity and towing characteristics. Diesels rule for towing.

Different story in the 1/2 ton segment. These diesels are small engines - about 1/2 the size of the gas V8 option, and are substantially more fuel efficient.

Number 7

Reaction score
Know all about the towing. Owned a oil field hot shot company for 11 years.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
It’s hard to make a strong argument for “saving money” with a diesel when the engine is so big (compared to the Hemi). 6.7 vs 6.4. It’s more about towing capacity and towing characteristics. Diesels rule for towing.

Different story in the 1/2 ton segment. These diesels are small engines - about 1/2 the size of the gas V8 option, and are substantially more fuel efficient.

Its not disputable that the same size (or larger in your example) Diesel engine is more efficient than its gas counterpart and produces close to 2x the torque.

Diesel motor is obviously more efficient and cheaper to routinely fuel.

however, the question is, how much cheaper is it and whether or not you'll ever recoup the money you laid out up front to buy the diesel--you probably will not.

jeffawats

Reaction score
22 TM 3.73 gears 6.4 towing my 7x12 open trailer and Yamaha YXZ the best I got was 10.7 mpg WTF???? The weight was probably around 4000 lbs.I have a set of 35's to go on the truck but now am thinking I shouldn't do it.

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
22 TM 3.73 gears 6.4 towing my 7x12 open trailer and Yamaha YXZ the best I got was 10.7 mpg WTF???? The weight was probably around 4000 lbs.I have a set of 35's to go on the truck but now am thinking I shouldn't do it.
Sounds low. How many miles on the truck?

aaronedmonton

Reaction score
just turned over 5000
21 Hemi Tradesman 4x4 with 14k miles, 35” ATs and 18” wheels
I pull a Can Am X3 Max with a 1800lb flat deck trailer. Total about 4k lbs.

I average about 10.5-11.5mpg towing currently. 11.5 avg from Phoenix to Glamis (sand dunes). Usually lower going to St George UT because of all the climbing. I tow at 65-70mph and no higher.

jeffawats

Reaction score
21 Hemi Tradesman 4x4 with 14k miles, 35” ATs and 18” wheels
I pull a Can Am X3 Max with a 1800lb flat deck trailer. Total about 4k lbs.

I average about 10.5-11.5mpg towing currently. 11.5 avg from Phoenix to Glamis (sand dunes). Usually lower going to St George UT because of all the climbing. I tow at 65-70mph and no higher.
what gears?

Users who are viewing this thread