Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why would a transmission shift better if the speedometer is calibrated to a different tire size?

jsalbre

Reaction score
I know it's an "everyone knows it" thing, but I can't figure out why a transmission would shift better if the speedometer is calibrated to a different tire size. It's not like you've changed the gear ratio in the tranny. It's still hitting the same power at the same output shaft speed.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I believe that they are programmed for the Diameter of tire . Speed sensor. Changing that to a larger size will change the Calibration.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I believe that they are programmed for the Diameter of tire . Speed sensor. Changing that to a larger size will change the Calibration.
Yes, that’s what you’re changing is the tire size setting, but how would that affect the transmission?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Yes, that’s what you’re changing is the tire size setting, but how would that affect the transmission?
Just a guess but a larger tire would put more torque/load on the transmission for a given throttle setting. Be like putting lower gears in the rear end. Example going from 4.10 to 3.73 ratio.

rampulse

Reaction score
I didn’t think it would matter much personally until I saw a few comments and videos mentioning the transmission. Since there’s no tuning for the AISIN I figured it was worth a shot. It’s noticeably smoother especially on grades and from 1st to 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score
Just a guess but a larger tire would put more torque/load on the transmission for a given throttle setting. Be like putting lower gears in the rear end. Example going from 4.10 to 3.73 ratio.
Yeah, that’s definitely the affect the tire change itself has, but why would the vehicle speed reading affect where the transmission shifts? Its shifting (simplified of course) based on load, engine RPM, and output shaft speed. Where does indicated speed across the ground matter?

CFE

Reaction score
I didn’t think it would matter much personally until I saw a few comments and videos mentioning the transmission. Since there’s no tuning for the AISIN I figured it was worth a shot. It’s noticeably smoother especially on grades and from 1st to 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PPEI does have tuning out for early Aisin models and is in beta testing stages for 2019+ Aisin models.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Does not Diameter Of the Tire effect Rotation.
No. At a given transmission input shaft speed the output shaft speed will be the same, no matter how fast over the ground you’re going.

This discussion probably should be its own thread instead of cluttering up the AlfaOBD thread. @Brutal_HO, could you move it?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I know it's an "everyone knows it" thing, but I can't figure out why a transmission would shift better if the speedometer is calibrated to a different tire size. It's not like you've changed the gear ratio in the tranny. It's still hitting the same power at the same output shaft speed.
Because the wheel speed/revolutions taken from the wheel speed sensors, among other factors, is taken into account for the shift points.

Enve46

Reaction score
What Jimmy said. Thats why dyno's tend to mess with newer vehicles and they need to put in a dyno mode or whatever its called.

Reactions: CFE

phatboy64

Reaction score
I don’t know the answer but I am running 37s and due to other reasons it took me awhile before I could change my tire size. During that time in certain situations mostly slow speeds (around 25 - 35 mph) it felt like it was in too high of a gear for the RPMs, almost like it was lugging a bit. After setting my tire size correctly that issue seems to have gone away and it feels smoother overall.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Every electronically controlled slushbox I've ever had has been happier with the correct tire size parameters in the computer and/or gear ratio if changed. There's a bit of data that goes into the shift tables as well as the torque management calculations that are predicated on having the correct data to calculate speed and final drive ratio.

Definitely not like the old days of just changing the speedo gear and/or axle ratio and adjusting shift points by playing with the TV cable and/or hydraulic modifications.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Changing tire size will change the engine/transmission RPM for a given speed. Since it is all computer controlled, having the correct tire size in the computer will allow it to select the correct gear in the tranny for the given speed/RPM. It does more than just change your speedometer.

Users who are viewing this thread