Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is my DPF clogging, forcing a dealer regen after long drive?

Agar426

Reaction score
The past two weekends, I drove my 2019 2500 to Phoenix and back, 8 hours each direction at interstate speeds. The last leg was this past Sunday.....8 hours at interstate speeds, then parked for the work week, which I use my Jeep TJ for my daily. My son borrowed my truck this evening to go work on his motorcycle, about 30 miles away....so more highway driving. No stop and go. On the way home, it went into limp mode saying the DPF was full. I got lectured by the dealer last time this happened (which was also after a long drive) that I shouldn't be using my truck to get groceries or drive to work only 4 miles. I didn't use it that way....it's my OTR vehicle. After back to back days driving 8 hours at highway speed, that filter should be spotless. Am I missing something?!? Frustrated.....

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
@Agar426 ,

1. How many miles on the truck?
2. Do you monitor the frequency at which the truck runs active regeneration cycles?
3. Does the truck complete its regeneration cycles normally when they happen?
4. How frequently does the truck usually regenerate?
5. What brand / model number of engine air filter are you using?
6. What brand and viscosity of engine oil are you using, and how many miles between oil changes?

Last edited:

Agar426

Reaction score
Damn! Sounds like I should have been lectured on more than just (not) getting groceries. Ok, let's see:

1) 52k
2) No
3) I monitor the DPF gauge, and it reads 0 most of the time. I checked it on the way to PHX and it was 0, but didn't check on the way back. If the truck tells me to keep driving due to a regen cycle, I drive it until it's completed. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm answering the question.
4) I don't know
5) Stock replacement
6) The oil changes have been at the dealership.....I believe they are using Shell Rotella? Correct me if I'm wrong.
7) Nothing other than a parking sensor that got hit by a rock

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The past two weekends, I drove my 2019 2500 to Phoenix and back, 8 hours each direction at interstate speeds. The last leg was this past Sunday.....8 hours at interstate speeds, then parked for the work week, which I use my Jeep TJ for my daily. My son borrowed my truck this evening to go work on his motorcycle, about 30 miles away....so more highway driving. No stop and go. On the way home, it went into limp mode saying the DPF was full. I got lectured by the dealer last time this happened (which was also after a long drive) that I shouldn't be using my truck to get groceries or drive to work only 4 miles. I didn't use it that way....it's my OTR vehicle. After back to back days driving 8 hours at highway speed, that filter should be spotless. Am I missing something?!? Frustrated.....
The dealer is full of it. I use mine to drive my 7min drive to work and it would not even get up to temp in the winter no DPF issues. There is underlying issues the DPF wont just clog up

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn! Sounds like I should have been lectured on more than just (not) getting groceries. Ok, let's see:

1) 52k
2) No
3) I monitor the DPF gauge, and it reads 0 most of the time. I checked it on the way to PHX and it was 0, but didn't check on the way back. If the truck tells me to keep driving due to a regen cycle, I drive it until it's completed. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm answering the question.
4) I don't know
5) Stock replacement
6) The oil changes have been at the dealership.....I believe they are using Shell Rotella? Correct me if I'm wrong.
7) Nothing other than a parking sensor that got hit by a rock
3. This is a window into what might be going on. The truck’s regeneration cycles are designed so that they operate in the background. Under normal circumstances, the truck doesn’t tell you to “keep driving” unless those regeneration cycles are either not effectively cleaning the DPF out, or they are routinely interrupted and not allowed to finish. If you happen to be on the DPF gauge when it goes into regeneration you’ll see a notice, but that notice doesn’t tell you to continue driving. When you say it “tells you to continue driving”, is that message popping up on your dash screen along with a “ding” or “chime” sound?

4. If you’re not sure how often the truck runs these regeneration cycles, it would be hard to determine, based on your input, wether or not your truck is running the cycles more frequently than it necessarily should. Which leads me to number 5….

5. If you do now know which brand and model number of engine air filter you are currently using, you may want to pop open your intake air box and check. Since it sounds like, based on your response to #6 that you have your dealer do your service work, it is important to note that there is a glitch within the mopar parts network which tells dealers to use air filter # 68517554AA. This is the incorrect filter for a 2019+ Cummins powered ram HD. The correct air filter is # 53034051AB. The incorrect air filter in these trucks (like 68517554AA) can cause the truck to run poorly, including turbocharger underboost conditions and more frequent / inefficient regeneration cycles. If the dealer installed the wrong air filter, that could be part of your problem. I would highly recommend checking the air filter for a brand and part number. Report back what you find.

6. I would inquire with your dealer to check which brand and weight of oil they’re using for your oil changes. If they made the mistake I mentioned in #5, then they may also have made a mistake by using an improper viscosity of oil. It isn’t uncommon for dealers / service technicians to see a diesel and automatically use 15w40 as the engine. 15w40 can not be used in a 2019+ Cummins powered Ram HD. I would confirm their brand and viscosity used and report back. It should be either 10w30 or 5w40 diesel engine oil.

Agar426

Reaction score
Great feedback, thank you everyone! The truck has only told me to "keep driving" twice since new. Once while I was literally pulling into my driveway, so I turned around and went for a drive. The second time was after the dealer did a forced regen, on the drive home the message was on from the time I left the dealership, so I kept driving it until it went off.

I will definitely work with the dealer to get the details on what oil they are using!

Thanks again everyone!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Great feedback, thank you everyone! The truck has only told me to "keep driving" twice since new. Once while I was literally pulling into my driveway, so I turned around and went for a drive. The second time was after the dealer did a forced regen, on the drive home the message was on from the time I left the dealership, so I kept driving it until it went off.

I will definitely work with the dealer to get the details on what oil they are using!

Thanks again everyone!
There are other issues at play the keep driving message is rare and usually only after multiple interrupted regens. And oil is not going to affect regens or the DPF but if they ise 15w40 (unlikely) it can damage the cam/lifters

flan

Reaction score
There are other issues at play the keep driving message is rare and usually only after multiple interrupted regens. And oil is not going to affect regens or the DPF but if they ise 15w40 (unlikely) it can damage the cam/lifters
Only oil I can see affecting the aftertreatment system is if someone had old school high zinc stuff still on the shelf, or added a product such as zddplus..

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Only oil I can see affecting the aftertreatment system is if someone had old school high zinc stuff still on the shelf, or added a product such as zddplus..
True as that can work part the rings but thats about it

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn’t suggesting the oil was causing the regeneration issue, but more or less wanted to make sure the OP checked into the Viscosity used as a secondary measure. Based on the information being presented to the OP by the dealer, it doesn’t sound like they’re well-versed with these trucks. I could easily envision them using the wrong oil. It has been known to happen more than a handful of times.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I wasn’t suggesting the oil was causing the regeneration issue, but more or less wanted to make sure the OP checked into the Viscosity used as a secondary measure. Based on the information being presented to the OP by the dealer, it doesn’t sound like they’re well-versed with these trucks. I could easily envision them using the wrong oil. It has been known to happen more than a handful of times.
Im not saying you were suggesting that im just making sure he knows that its a separate issue not related to the DPF if the wrong oil is used

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Over 90% of the permanent ash buildup in the DPF is from burned engine oil, which is why ash content is limited to 1% on CJ and newer oils. Zinc is just one contributor to ash.

flan

Reaction score
Over 90% of the permanent ash buildup in the DPF is from burned engine oil, which is why ash content is limited to 1% on CJ and newer oils. Zinc is just one contributor to ash.
I remember the big to do back when the emission friendly oil came out. The original 15/40 oil hoard had begun. Folks still probably have old spec stuff on the shelf they bought it by the pallet because the new oil was going to seize their engines lmao.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember the big to do back when the emission friendly oil came out. The original 15/40 oil hoard had begun. Folks still probably have old spec stuff on the shelf they bought it by the pallet because the new oil was going to seize their engines lmao.

Yep. CJ was a crap spec, so hoarding CI was a good idea. CK is a good oil and I’d run it over CI spec, and did in my 05 just before selling it.

Agar426

Reaction score
Interesting turn of events.....I made an appointment at the dealership for an oil change and fuel filter change, hoping they could also squeeze in the forced regen (they thought they might be able to). EIther way, I need the oil changed, and was planning on making the appointment for the forced regen, which was about 6 weeks out. After getting charged $725 for the oil and fuel filter change, I didn't make the appointment after that! My usual dealership is right around $400, so......well, what happened after that doesn't matter. Anyhow, on the way home, the limp mode went away, and it went into normal regen, and the CEL turned off. :cool:

Southernspeed

Reaction score
Interesting turn of events.....I made an appointment at the dealership for an oil change and fuel filter change, hoping they could also squeeze in the forced regen (they thought they might be able to). EIther way, I need the oil changed, and was planning on making the appointment for the forced regen, which was about 6 weeks out. After getting charged $725 for the oil and fuel filter change, I didn't make the appointment after that! My usual dealership is right around $400, so......well, what happened after that doesn't matter. Anyhow, on the way home, the limp mode went away, and it went into normal regen, and the CEL turned off. :cool:
I hope it stays fixed for you! I can't get over the prices dealers charge for oil and fuel filter changes, it's just criminal. I'm glad I can do it myself but appreciate that some don't want to tackle it.

Users who are viewing this thread