Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why do people bash ram trucks so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Now that I've owned a Ram for 1 1/2 years, I understand why people bash them. What I don't understand is why the dodge/ram owners love them so much and are so accepting with what the manufacture provides. Just because the truck has a cummins doesn't make everything else perfect. It just makes the truck "a cummins bolted to a hunk of metal and plastic."

Someday, I'll buy another truck and if this was today, I wouldn't be going to the Ram dealership first.

I understand that making this post won't be popular because if there is one group of owners that suffers from the Stockholm syndrome, it's the "truck with cummins" group. It's too bad because if there wasn't such a cult-like love of anything cummins, the manufacture would probably produce a better truck and have better service.
There is nothing like a 70,000 Silverado to prove just how GM hasn't come with its interiors. The plastic look and feel cheap, and the design, even in this high country models feels phoned in. Ford trying to convince truck buyers that a V6,even one with turbos hanging off the sides, is a suitable replacement for a V-8. Ford and Ram, as both have commendably plush comportment with and without a trailer hooked up. Ram is not afraid to think out side the box as others are always just one behind Ram in innovations.
All of the big 3 have issues so for you to single out one from the other proves you need to do your home work before posting such nonsense.

MikeXM

Reaction score
The funniest result of any post I've made about the Ram's problems is that there are always the dodge owners who go to the extreme and use the word "lemon."

It's not a lemon.

But for some reason, dodge owners think their trucks are perfect and anyone else who has a problem has a lemon. LOL. They can't understand anything else. It's bizarre.
What is even funnier is that some guys will say that they will never rebuy a brand because they had a few problems with it. Like changing brand would actually guaranty trouble free forever!

Funny, right?

There is nothing wrong being enthusiastic about a brand. But don't put all RAM owners in the same bag like we are "brandwashed". Like we are a special bunch of people. We are not. Every single forum I go to is the damn same.

Do I like my RAM? Sure. Do I think it is perfect? No. Am I loyal to the brand? Absolutely not. I don't care about Dodge, or Chrysler or RAM, at all.

But right now, I do enjoy my RAM! :p

kobra

Reaction score
Now that I've owned a Ram for 1 1/2 years, I understand why people bash them. What I don't understand is why the dodge/ram owners love them so much and are so accepting with what the manufacture provides. Just because the truck has a cummins doesn't make everything else perfect. It just makes the truck "a cummins bolted to a hunk of metal and plastic."

Someday, I'll buy another truck and if this was today, I wouldn't be going to the Ram dealership first.

I understand that making this post won't be popular because if there is one group of owners that suffers from the Stockholm syndrome, it's the "truck with cummins" group. It's too bad because if there wasn't such a cult-like love of anything cummins, the manufacture would probably produce a better truck and have better service.
Seriously? Stockholm syndrome? Unbelievable.
Nothing to do with brand loyalty here; I've owned them all and they all have strengths and weaknesses; tools for the job. But this is just pure dung here.
Say something useful, or run back to whatever other forum that tickles your fanboy itch. Either way quit wasting our time here.

B

HD5280

Reaction score
Seriously? Stockholm syndrome? Unbelievable.
Nothing to do with brand loyalty here; I've owned them all and they all have strengths and weaknesses; tools for the job. But this is just pure dung here.
Say something useful, or run back to whatever other forum that tickles your fanboy itch. Either way quit wasting our time here.

B
He’s a complete internet troll. Just look at his other posts. Nothing ever good to contribute, just complains or try’s to make others feel bad for loving their trucks.

If your truck is so horrible, quit whining and do something about it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

As a mechanic i can tell you 100% you see more chevys and fords in the shop for major repairs and dodges are usually only maintenance or lifts so call it what ever you want but i am loyal to the brand that never lets me down, i had a 2006 ford i had to send to the auction it was finished at 41,000km dealer would not warranty it needed a 3rd tcase and needed an engine it was not abused, gm products i have had a few nothing lasted nearly aslong as any of my dodges....the only good things gm has going for them is the LS engines and the Allison trans in the hd diesels....

kristof

Reaction score
My 4th RAM first HD. I owned 1998 Ram 1500 long bed. It was my first RAM and I bought it with over 180,000 miles on it. I need somethin cheap and reliable at that time (we bought our house). It served me well. Truck was used by scrap guy before. After over a year transmission failed. I fixed it drove it for another few months and sold it to a guy from Wisconsin, on eBay. He told me that truck is hard to find in that condition over there ( that truck was bit up pretty badly). So my second one was a 2003 Ram 1500. Got it for like 3-4 years. Never had a single problem with it. Drove like a champ. Then I moved to small car for a while and bought Ram 1500 again it was 2016. No problems with it either. Then we bought a land and 33ft travel trailer. So I decided to upgrade the truck to 2500 and the only problem I have with it is the remote start thing where I can't unlock the doors. But other then that I love it.

hognuts1960

Reaction score
My wife has a f150 2017 and I just traded my 2018 2500 4x4 CTD for a 2021 3500 DRW 4x4 HO CTD. I loved my 2500, but I have a 40' 5th wheel and it's beyond the 2500's cargo capacity by 800lbs. It rode and pulled fine, but better safe than sorry. Both trucks are great.
4c59e1eca681fb2ef9705d8e1d47117c.jpg
cc29bbc5858b28c619605725279857cc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

hognuts1960

Reaction score
If you bought a brand new 2020 Ram truck, and then six months into ownership, it suffered a catastrophic engine failure and left you stranded at the side of the road, and will likely take at least 3 months before it's repaired, how would you feel about Ram trucks.?
Lemon law states 30 days out of service equal s automatic buy back.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Zinga

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the responses. I knew if I made a post stating that I understand why the trucks are bashed, people would be outraged. It's funny to read a response stating something along the lines of "I'm not brand loyal but I don't like what you said."

LOL. You're making my point.

So, you think I'm a troll because I have an opinion on my truck after owning it? Deal with it. If you respond, I will respond:

The trucks aren't as great as the dodge-fan-boy hype on the internet. I clearly stated that the engine power is great. The engine braking is great. The engine and truck is quiet.

BUT...

For the first time in 20+ years, I have had to take a vehicle to the dealership to get stuff fixed. This vehicle has had more issues than every other vehicle combined. Does that make it a lemon like someone stated? No. That's just stupid talk from a stupid person. Does the warranty fix it? Kind of. There's no charge and sometimes there's no fix because no fix exists yet, or the dealerships are incompetent. But, the incompetence isn't at one dealer. It's at numerous dealers. So, don't tell me to take it to a different dealer. I have the same problems as many others have posted on the internet. The only difference is that when I compare this list of problems to all the other problems combined of every other vehicle we've owned for the last 20+ years, the Ram has had more problems in 1 1/2 years of ownership. This excludes the race cars because race cars have issues. 16 vehicles, 7 different manufactures. The first Ram/dodge/chysler/fiat/peugeot that we have owned has had more issues in 1 1/2 years than 16 other vehicles combined from 7 different manufactures. So don't tell me that all the other manufactures have the same problems.

So, that's my Ram experience. They're just not as great as everyone claims. There is more to a truck than the cummins engine.

For example: can anyone explain why prior to 2019 that a 10 way power seat was not available for the passenger? Every other major manufacture offered this for almost 20 years prior. It's kind of bizarre but it explains the market and the buyer: the majority of the dodge market only cares about the power of the engine and the overall comfort of the truck isn't really a priority. Why else would Dodge not offer a 10 way power seat? Of course, there will be responses such as "the 6 way power seat is comfortable." Guess what? It's not as comfortable and is a deal breaker for me. And it still doesn't explain why they wouldn't offer it for an added cost. Why not install the same seat that is built for the driver on the passenger side and charge more?

So, I waited until 2019 to buy. The power is great. The engine braking is great. The fact that it's quiet is great. Reading the comments how many of the Dodge owners want a noisy diesel makes me laugh. Obviously, there are too many that don't want comfort and they don't care about the comfort of the passenger sitting next to them. So, I see this as the market difference.

Some owners prefer more. So, they buy a different brand. I decided to try the Ram. Now I know what the dodge owners accept and what the manufacture provides, and can get away with.

For example, I'd prefer AC that works. In fact, I'd also prefer a heater that works. Comfort in the cabin of a $70k-$80k truck would be nice. The Ram has neither. AC and Heater controls - Not fixed. Yet.
I'd prefer a transmission that doesn't buck when pulling a grade. This is the first truck that has had an issue out of four different trucks pulling the same trailer. Not fixed. Yet. Is it the transmission? Don't know. I think it's the programming. The truck's programming is telling it to prepare to downshift, it doesn't, and there is a buck. Think of a shockwave traveling down the drivetrain. Not good.
I'd prefer a truck that doesn't clunk when entering a driveway. First vehicle with this problem. Not fixed. Yet.
I'd prefer a radio (or 12" screen) that doesn't randomly shut off. First vehicle with this problem. This has been happening for 1 1/2 years. Not fixed. Yet.
In our lifetime, we've received 3 recall notices for ALL the vehicles we've owned in our lifetime. The ram has had 2 of those 3. The 16 vehicles I listed are only those we've owned in the last 20 years. The number is higher if I had to count all of them. The first recall allowed me to get the truck registered because it was an emissions update. I had to take it to two dealers to get it done. Why? Because one of the dealers was stupid. Now that we have moved to an area with a different climate and elevation, the truck surges. A while back when I read the complaints by other owners, I ignored it. Now I have it and it's really annoying. BTW, the 2nd recall hasn't been addressed yet (bed step replacement) because the dealer wasn't very competent. Imagine that. Two trips to a dealer to get a safety recall done? LOL.

Yes, I have a warranty but there isn't a fix yet for the items listed above because the service at Ram dealerships, compared to the other manufactures, sucks. This is, my guess, probably due to too many problems with the brand and the dealers are in disarray. Like I said, just my guess. Why else would so many others (not me) complain about their trucks sitting at dealers for weeks.

What's the latest? Tiny spots of rust is bleeding thru the paint. One spot is noticeable and underneath the "helicopter tape" in front of the wheel well at the DRW. But now, there are tiny spots showing up everywhere. Lovely.

All these things can be addressed by the manufacture. So, you can't claim it's a lemon. Not yet. I suspect the paint issue might change this. But, at a cost: my time and my money.

All I'm saying is that the Ram isn't as great as the internet hype. There's more to a truck than the cummins engine. The issues I've listed, other than the paint and tranny bucking, are common with many other owners, and there are other issues. So, I'm not the only one. Plus, I'm comparing the ownership experience of this truck to the ownership experience of 16 other vehicles by 7 other manufactures over the last 20+ years. In comparison, this truck is a fail. Am I saying I'm looking to dump it and get something else? No. Never said that. But someday, when I decide to buy another truck, I won't visit the ram dealership first.

This is the first Dodge/RamChysler owned by anyone in our family and extended family. Maybe I'm the only stupid one. Or maybe I'm the only one that is willing to take a chance. Either way, I wouldn't recommend buying one to a family member or close friend. I could care less about what others do.

BTW, I didn't even bring up the CP4. Not going to. Currently, it's working. It's just the other stuff. LOL. Like a radio (meaning everything that the 12" display controls), the AC, the heater, the clunking, the transmission bucking, the paint, etc.

The good news is that this truck can pull a heavy trailer up a hill. You know what I think now? Big deal.

---
BTW, if you think that I'm a troll for stating the facts, you have no clue. If someone in senior leadership at Ram read this, they'd appreciate it. Why? Without the feedback, how can they get better? They're not idiots. And I'm aware that they can't make instant changes. But if they can identify a problem that can be measured, they can make a change, although the reality is that it might take months or years for the change to occur.
So, if you don't want to Ram brand to improve, be a useful idiot and silence the critics.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the responses. I knew if I made a post stating that I understand why the trucks are bashed, people would be outraged. It's funny to read a response stating something along the lines of "I'm not brand loyal but I don't like what you said."

So, you think I'm a troll because I have an opinion on my truck after owning it? Deal with it. If you respond, I will respond:

The trucks aren't as great as the dodge-fan-boy hype on the internet. I clearly stated that the engine power is great. The engine braking is great. The engine and truck is quiet.

BUT...

For the first time in 20+ years, I have had to take a vehicle to the dealership to get stuff fixed. This vehicle has had more issues than every other vehicle combined. Does that make it a lemon like someone stated? No. That's just stupid talk from a stupid person. Does the warranty fix it? Kind of. There's no charge and sometimes there's no fix because no fix exists yet, or the dealerships are incompetent. But, the incompetence isn't at one dealer. It's at numerous dealers. So, don't tell me to take it to a different dealer. I have the same problems as many others have posted on the internet. The only difference is that when I compare this list of problems to all the other problems combined of every other vehicle we've owned for the last 20+ years, the Ram has had more problems in 1 1/2 years of ownership. This excludes the race cars because race cars have issues. 16 vehicles, 7 different manufactures. The first Ram/dodge/chysler/fiat/peugeot that we have owned has had more issues in 1 1/2 years than 16 other vehicles combined from 7 different manufactures. So don't tell me that all the other manufactures have the same problems.

So, that's my Ram experience. They're just not as great as everyone claims. There is more to a truck than the cummins engine.

For example: can anyone explain why prior to 2019 that a 10 way power seat was not available for the passenger? Every other major manufacture offered this for almost 20 years prior. It's kind of bizarre but it explains the market and the buyer: the majority of the dodge market only cares about the power of the engine and the overall comfort of the truck isn't really a priority. Why else would Dodge not offer a 10 way power seat? Of course, there will be responses such as "the 6 way power seat is comfortable." Guess what? It's not as comfortable and is a deal breaker for me. And it still doesn't explain why they wouldn't offer it for an added cost. Why not install the same seat that is built for the driver on the passenger side and charge more?

So, I waited until 2019 to buy. The power is great. The engine braking is great. The fact that it's quiet is great. Reading the comments how many of the Dodge owners want a noisy diesel makes me laugh. Obviously, there are too many that don't want comfort and they don't care about the comfort of the passenger sitting next to them. So, I see this as the market difference.

Some owners prefer more. So, they buy a different brand. I decided to try the Ram. Now I know what the dodge owners accept and what the manufacture provides, and can get away with.

For example, I'd prefer AC that works. In fact, I'd also prefer a heater that works. Comfort in the cabin of a $70k-$80k truck would be nice. The Ram has neither. AC and Heater controls - Not fixed. Yet.
I'd prefer a transmission that doesn't buck when pulling a grade. This is the first truck that has had an issue out of four different trucks pulling the same trailer. Not fixed. Yet. Is it the transmission? Don't know. I think it's the programming. The truck's programming is telling it to prepare to downshift, it doesn't, and there is a buck. Think of a shockwave traveling down the drivetrain. Not good.
I'd prefer a truck that doesn't clunk when entering a driveway. First vehicle with this problem. Not fixed. Yet.
I'd prefer a radio (or 12" screen) that doesn't randomly shut off. First vehicle with this problem. This has been happening for 1 1/2 years. Not fixed. Yet.
In our lifetime, we've received 3 recall notices for ALL the vehicles we've owned in our lifetime. The ram has had 2 of those 3. The 16 vehicles I listed are only those we've owned in the last 20 years. The number is higher if I had to count all of them. The first recall allowed me to get the truck registered because it was an emissions update. I had to take it to two dealers to get it done. Why? Because one of the dealers was stupid. Now that we have moved to an area with a different climate and elevation, the truck surges. A while back when I read the complaints by other owners, I ignored it. Now I have it and it's really annoying. BTW, the 2nd recall hasn't been addressed yet (bed step replacement) because the dealer wasn't very competent. Imagine that. Two trips to a dealer to get a safety recall done? LOL.

Yes, I have a warranty but there isn't a fix yet for the items listed above because the service at Ram dealerships, compared to the other manufactures, sucks. This is, my guess, probably due to too many problems with the brand and the dealers are in disarray. Like I said, just my guess. Why else would so many others (not me) complain about their trucks sitting at dealers for weeks.

What's the latest? Tiny spots of rust is bleeding thru the paint. One spot is noticeable and underneath the "helicopter tape" in front of the wheel well at the DRW. But now, there are tiny spots showing up everywhere. Lovely.

All these things can be addressed by the manufacture. So, you can't claim it's a lemon. Not yet. I suspect the paint issue might change this. But, at a cost: my time and my money.

All I'm saying is that the Ram isn't as great as the internet hype. There's more to a truck than the cummins engine. The issues I've listed, other than the paint and tranny bucking, are common with many other owners, and there are other issues. So, I'm not the only one. Plus, I'm comparing the ownership experience of this truck to the ownership experience of 16 other vehicles by 7 other manufactures over the last 20+ years. In comparison, this truck is a fail. Am I saying I'm looking to dump it and get something else? No. Never said that. But someday, when I decide to buy another truck, I won't visit the ram dealership first.

This is the first Dodge/RamChysler owned by anyone in our family and extended family. Maybe I'm the only stupid one. Or maybe I'm the only one that is willing to take a chance. Either way, I wouldn't recommend buying one to a family member or close friend. I could care less about what others do.

BTW, I didn't even bring up the CP4. Not going to. Currently, it's working. It's just the other stuff. LOL. Like a radio (meaning everything that the 12" display controls), the AC, the heater, the clunking, the transmission bucking, the paint, etc.

The good news is that this truck can pull a heavy trailer up a hill. You know what I think now? Big deal.

---
BTW, if you think that I'm a troll for stating the facts, you have no clue. If someone in senior leadership at Ram read this, they'd appreciate it. Why? Without the feedback, how can they get better? They're not idiots. And I'm aware that they can't make instant changes. But if they can identify a problem that can be measured, they can make a change, although the reality is that it might take months or years for the change to occur.
So, if you don't want to Ram brand to improve, be a useful idiot and silence the critics.
If you have had so many great vehicles in 16 years why did you keep getting rid of them.... your just one of those people that are never satisfied if your having so much trouble with your truck sell it and leave the forum my rams are the only trucks that have not let me down

kobra

Reaction score

Using a term like Stockholm Syndrome to describe people who like their brand of truck was not at all a comment on the truck; it was a disturbing insult against the people on this forum.

You think that people here are responding to the fact that you've insulted RAM trucks??? You are absolutely clueless; we are responding because you've needlessly insulted people to try to make yourself appear important. You aren't. You are a troll.

I've deleted everything else you posted because I'm done wasting my time reading anything you have to say on the subject.
Take your insults somewhere else.

B

RV_Goose

Reaction score

BUT...

---

I know people who could produce a nice long list for any manufacturer. So, when will you sell your RAM truck and what will you buy next. I do miss my 1972 C1500 because of it's simplicity and ease of maintenance.

Do you feel better now?

Rgpracer

Reaction score
I know people who could produce a nice long list for any manufacturer. So, when will you sell your RAM truck and what will you buy next. I do miss my 1972 C1500 because of it's simplicity and ease of maintenance.

Do you feel better now?
I looked at everything, researched to the enth degree......Ram and the Cummins 6.7 were the best in my research.
I have a 2020 Laramie with the 6.7......never owning a diesel before or driving the Ford or Chevy/GMC, my Ram is awesome and the throttle response is so much more than i anticipated.

Zinga

Reaction score
If you have had so many great vehicles in 16 years why did you keep getting rid of them.... your just one of those people that are never satisfied if your having so much trouble with your truck sell it and leave the forum my rams are the only trucks that have not let me down

The fact that we have owned a lot of great cars is irrelevant. My wife drives a lot of miles and after about 150+k miles, she buys a new one. And, I'm using that as a basis for comparison. All those cars never had problems and only required the typical maintenance. If you include the ones I've owned to the list, which have had less miles but no problems, and compare it to a 1 1/2 year old ram with a list of issues, it reflects poorly on the Ram.

Furthermore, what we do with our money is our choice. Apparently, you have an issue with that. That's your problem, not mine.

Your comment "if your having so much trouble with your truck sell it and leave the forum..." is hilarious. Like I already said: if you don't want to Ram brand to improve, be a useful idiot and silence the critics.

Zinga

Reaction score

Do you feel better now?

When will I sell the Ram? Don't know and it's not really on my radar of things that are important. What will I buy next? Don't know and won't know until I consider buying.

Do I feel better? I don't know what feeling have to do with it. My guess is that "feelings" matter to you. That's you, not me.

To me, the truck is both an appliance and a tool and I don't have feelings for tools and appliances. And, I'm not the type who refers to a truck as "she" or "her." To me, that's just stupid. But, I do refer to this truck as ******* because it's a joke. Little did I know 1 1/2 years ago that calling it a HO, because it's a joke, would turn into "this truck is a joke." LOL.

[mod edit: Inappropriate language, in any language, is not permitted per the site TOS and rules. This is a family friendly site.]

Last edited by a moderator:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The fact that we have owned a lot of great cars is irrelevant. My wife drives a lot of miles and after about 150+k miles, she buys a new one. And, I'm using that as a basis for comparison. All those cars never had problems and only required the typical maintenance. If you include the ones I've owned to the list, which have had less miles but no problems, and compare it to a 1 1/2 year old ram with a list of issues, it reflects poorly on the Ram.

Furthermore, what we do with our money is our choice. Apparently, you have an issue with that. That's your problem, not mine.

Your comment "if your having so much trouble with your truck sell it and leave the forum..." is hilarious. Like I already said: if you don't want to Ram brand to improve, be a useful idiot and silence the critics.
I have no issues your just a being a baby i have 0 issues and many other have no issues, remember you will see way more bad reviews than good ones

Zinga

Reaction score
I have no issues your just a being a baby i have 0 issues and many other have no issues, remember you will see way more bad reviews than good ones
That fact that I responded to this thread with facts, and it rubbed you the wrong way, because it upset you. makes you the baby. LOL. Cry all you want.

As I said above, posts such as this make me laugh. And, I'll respond over and over to the bizarre club of dodge owners who can't stand it when someone points out a fault or points out why people bash the ram truck.

HD5280

Reaction score

BUT...

---
Self deception is sad. Your intent isn’t to “improve the Ram brand by senior leadership reading” your whining rants. Your intent is to troll to get others to respond (which clearly you are accomplishing).

State your displeasure ONCE then move on man. You have 50 different posts just whining, bashing, one-sided negative comments. Anyone who looks at your profile can see you were all over the forum in July of 2019, you disappeared then came back to just rant. Clearly it’s your way of venting whatever happened to you/your truck, but to just step back into a positive community to stir the pot is not welcome and yes, is the definition troll.

Internet Troll:
‘An internet troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet.’

Have a little emotional intelligence and realize that you are not helping anyone on this forum you are simply airing your own laundry which while appreciated the first time so folks can learn from it, provides ZERO help the 50th time.

Be apart of the community. Share both positives and negatives and suggestions. Don’t turn it into Ram brand against the world. And definitely do not insult people for having their own opinions that largely differ from your own.

If you are unable to be a good person, take your ball and go home. We don’t want to play with you (or actually leave your ball since there are so many better balls out there ).

Now feel free to be a tough guy again and rant about all the reasons this is wrong and that we are all fan boys for not wanting to listen to you. Predictable.
OR
Shock everyone by owning your inappropriate comments, perhaps a small apology, then continue with beneficial discussion with the rest of the community about how we can work together on communicating some of your concerns.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

BUT...

---

Sounds like your truck is a POS. Sell it and move on. It will be much more productive for you.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That fact that I responded to this thread with facts, and it rubbed you the wrong way, because it upset you. makes you the baby. LOL. Cry all you want.

As I said above, posts such as this make me laugh. And, I'll respond over and over to the bizarre club of dodge owners who can't stand it when someone points out a fault or points out why people bash the ram truck.
Calm down chachi your incoherant babbling makes me laugh your a big baby crying about 10way seats and stuff like that you didn't respond with facts just opinions i never said some rams dont have faults only that mine didn't have any... all brands have a few lemons why do you think there are lemon laws.... if you want to make ram know you have issues call them don't bawl your little eyes out here hoping for sympathy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread