Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why do people bash ram trucks so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus77

Reaction score
hi all, soon to be new in the world of pick up trucks and was wondering why so many people hate ram trucks. i cant wait to purchase my truck (soon). people that i talk with, people who own trucks keep saying To stay away from ram and to either buy a f150 or gmc/chevrolet. is it the reliabilty ? im from qc, Canada and thanks all !

[mod edit: removed spammy links, banned spammy member]

Guys, this appears to be a spammer (spammy links removed). I'll leave the thread stand as so many replied including several other spammers (also banned) LOL but please watch out for these and report them if you see them.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpaeth

Reaction score
In my experience people just have biases that are based on personal preference. I can't say I've heard more people rip on RAM than I have any other brand. Actually, in my crowd, everyone unites in hatred of GM trucks haha. People just love to hate on what they don't have so they can feel better about what they do have.

Heckyl

Reaction score
hi all, soon to be new in the world of pick up trucks and was wondering why so many people hate ram trucks. i cant wait to purchase my truck (soon). people that i talk with, people who own trucks keep saying To stay away from ram and to either buy a f150 or gmc/chevrolet. is it the reliabilty ? im from qc, Canada and thanks all !

Simple....they have never had one!

bobohio

Reaction score
This is my 4th Ram and 2nd HD Ram...no complaints on any of them!!

orlando bull

Reaction score
I've been in rams since 1998 aside from a 2.5 year stint with my last truck (F150). In my opinion, Ram offers the best bang for the buck. The Ford was a nice truck, but, there were little things that Ram just does better. Sure, there have been reliability issues, generally, each manufacturer has had some black eyes over the years and that has led to stereotypes (i.e. Ram transmissions are garbage). I think that from a mechanical standpoint, all of the brands have come a long way. There will be good and bad for each, but, overall, they all produce a reliable truck.

Jj517

Reaction score
My first truck was a taco then bough a pathfinder ( huge piece of chit) then bought a tundra it was ok then bought my first f250 2010 loved it then a slick sales down graded me to fords biggest piece of chit a 2012 f250 6.7 scrap it was a lemon with the ceramic ball bearings then traded for a 2015 f250 dropped a chit load of money into it lift bumpers rims tires etc and it left me dead on side of the road traded for a ram 1500 limited 2019 that was a huge mistake the 1500 would be great for a retired person wanting a small truck now I have upgraded to a 2019 power wagon 300 miles on it and luving every mile I put on it I had it for 4 days now by next week will have 1k miles on it

Let haters be haters get what u want drive it as if it's your last day to live out of all the trucks I had I am in love with my ram truck will never buy a bowtie will never buy a GMC and definitely will never ever ever buy another Ford diesel trk

Jim Severence

Reaction score
This is my third Ram 2500 and they all have been reliable. The only problem I have had is from lack of use, it mostly only used during the winter so it sit around a lot during the summer months. I do use it to tow my 5th wheeler during the summer but that does not put to many miles on it. So I have learned to exercise it during the warmer months on a regular basis to get all the drive train lubricated and brakes from getting a coating on the rotors.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I’ve owned an 03 quad cab, 04 Quad cab after wrecking 03, 07 3500 mega cab dually sold with 380k miles and got a 2016 mega cab 2500 and now have 2019 2500 mega can and have always loved mine. Now waiting for my 3500 and then will wait til 2026 or 2027 to get another.

johnsmith101

Reaction score
hey guys,

I ask that myself. I have owned two Dodge Dakota pickups since 1993 and loved both trucks. This year I bought a 2016 RAM with a HEMI. My soon to be disinherited, 28 yr old son is a Ford fanboy and all he does is find “design flaws” in Ram trucks. He said to me one day that “Ram trucks loose their drive train at 40,000 miles.” So I replied “Then why do I see so many people buying Ram trucks and driving them on the road?” His reply: “because they accept that they will have to repair them”. Thank God that I couldn’t find my ignorant stick! It boils down to this: Ram trucks are as reliable as any. What isn’t reliable is advice from truck or car guys.

thanks and regards.

[mod edit: removed spammy looking URL's]

Last edited by a moderator:

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I just got out of a 4th gen 1500 this summer (Hemi was kaput). I was bashing it and FCA pretty bad. The folks in the local dealer's service dept used to refer to it as the "TRUCK FROM H_LL." They'd actually scatter when they seen me coming. Water under the bridge...

As the story goes... Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, Jeep, Daimler, Cerberus and... FCA have for many yrs been perpetually stuck in a gauntlet of poor reliability. I've owned and operated their products (HD and half tons included) for well over four decades and yes, some of that stuff was junk. Most of it, however, was not so bad and some of it was bullet proof. Not so very different than other manufacturers once ya get them under a microscope. My old man was a Ford guy. I've never owned one, probably never will. I don't bash Fords, they just don't appeal to me. I've liked GMs but they haven't produced a likeable interior since the early 80s. However, I swear there's some Decepticon genes in the new Chevy trucks. Some trims are ok but others... hideous! ;)

Dogeram

Reaction score
I've had 2 tundras, 2 silverados, an f250, a 1500 and now a 3500. All have been equally reliable.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

oaklandopen

Reaction score
This is my 4th Ram and 2nd HD Ram...no complaints on any of them!!

Same. First ever truck was an 05 Tacoma with 6-speed. Since then ive never had the need for a small truck again, otherwise I might be checking out the gladiator

2010 1500 5.7
2012 3500 cummins
2015 1500 5.7
2019 2500 6.4

I always checked out the other trucks when purchase time came around. The only other one I considered was Ford. Im just not ready to believe a small displacement turbo with aluminum everything is a good choice when it comes to heavy towing. All around driving yes

Ruffone

Reaction score
I’m on my 4th Dodge / Ram truck and, knock on wood, the only problems I have ever had was the 3rd gear synchro going out on my 94’ 1500 Regular Cab Sport with the 318 at about 75,000 miles and then the water pump went out on my 01’ 1500 Regular Cab Sport with the 360 magnum in it. On my 06’ 2500 Quad Cab Sport with the 5.7 hemi my recirc doors on the a/c broke twice. And now on my new 19’ 2500 Crew Cab Off-road Black Edition with the 6.4 hemi I have had the hood fluttering issue which I got corrected using the same TSB that’s on the new 1500 trucks with the same hood flutter issue. Every modern day vehicle has gremlins no matter which make or model you go with, it’s just those diehard brand followers that will hide and or ignore those little gremlins in their own vehicles while they bash the other brands claiming their brand is king. For instance... Ford has had the same issues in the past with the death wobble and the hood flutter. And if I remember correctly they had the same issue with their a/c unit circ doors during a couple of model years. I’ve been driving a Ford F150 for work for the last 10 years and it has had just as many issues and or recalls. The current one being a recall to fix something that can cause the doors to open while driving. My brother-in-law’s F250 diesels rim cracked twice which is a known issue on their 20” rims. So don’t let anyone blow smoke up your ass and say one brand has more issues than the next. What makes things worse is that the more computer controlled our modern day vehicles become the more headaches that we will have. And these computer issues aren’t as easy for the DIYer to fix as a mechanical part is. Just go over to the Tesla Owners forum and read about all the glitches and issues they have with all their computer controlled equipment. Speaking of brand loyalty and people that will bash the hell out of anything other than their fully electric brand, it’s those owners over there. Anyways... buy what you want for the reasons you want to. Don’t let anyone try to change your mind based on their experiences, there’s lemons and gremlins in every brand and make.

redman

Reaction score
I have an 08 1500 currently, only issue I have is the catalytic converter starting to go. Everything else has been excellent. oh yeah, broke the handle of my parking brake, 12 bucks and 10 minutes later good as new. A usb port doesnt work for charging. Lost a fuel pump when towing once, but that was at 85k miles. Gas cap broke once, replaced in ten minutes. in short, runs perfectly and I'm only upgrading because my dad needs a truck and I want a 4x4. Couldn't be happier with it overall!

Bdwb

Reaction score
I am moving to a Ram after 12 years in Fords. I like my Ford F-150. Now that I am going Heavy Duty I am making the switch. This is based upon discussions with people who pull a lot and mechanics that work on both. The Cummins engine is a monster that will go forever. They all have issues though.... I think Ram takes a hit on trans issues - mostly from the past. ford is having a lot of issues with their Diesels and now struggling to get parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread