Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why do people bash ram trucks so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobradvm

Reaction score
What caused the engine failure?????
CP4 Fuel pump failure - happening often around 6-7k miles within 6 months or so of ownership. The pump disintegrates and dumps metal all through the fuel system. When it happens, it's pretty much instant. From initial engine warning light, to being dead was about 10 to 15 minutes. Just enough time to get off the next freeway exit. Parts are taking around 3 months as entire fuel system except the fuel tank needs to be replaced.

cummins2020

Reaction score
CP4 Fuel pump failure - happening often around 6-7k miles within 6 months or so of ownership. The pump disintegrates and dumps metal all through the fuel system. When it happens, it's pretty much instant. From initial engine warning light, to being dead was about 10 to 15 minutes. Just enough time to get off the next freeway exit. Parts are taking around 3 months as entire fuel system except the fuel tank needs to be replaced.
Im so sorry!!! I am already scared to drive mine and it isnt even here yet from the factory yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you bought a brand new 2020 Ram truck, and then six months into ownership, it suffered a catastrophic engine failure and left you stranded at the side of the road, and will likely take at least 3 months before it's repaired, how would you feel about Ram trucks.?

So was there "catastrophic engine failure?" Because that makes it sound like the engine got roasted, which is not generally the case for these failure modes.

Distillusion

Reaction score
So was there "catastrophic engine failure?" Because that makes it sound like the engine got roasted, which is not generally the case for these failure modes.
Good point technically, but when you're trying to get home, in practicality it's the same result. :)

Nick

Reaction score
I have owned one new Ford bought in 81 . A400 gasser a real pos ! Have had 4 Rams 94,06,14,and now a 20 . All Cummins powered . MY 94 WOULD BLOW FORD AND CHEVY Diesels AWAY ! 170 HP and 370 lbs of torque . too funny ! Now 4000 hp and 1000 lbs of torque .. I just made a 7 thousand mile trip towing a 14000 lb 5 th wheel . It pullls thru the mountains up and down like nothing else . Best exhaust brake in a pick up . A V8 can't compare . I would match my Longhorn Interior against any Ford or Chevy offer and the seats are the best ! Loved them all ! Inline six is without a doubt the best and longest lasting . IMHO . The only option Ford has that Ram doesn't is the Logoed tennis shoes and heated tail gate . for traction and keeping your hands warm when pushing .

Frank

Reaction score
I had a 99 Durango, 6.0l and HD trans. It was the biggest piece of junk, power train problems the whole time I owned it and because Chrysler was constantly changing poor designs, parts cost 3x what they did on a Ford. The transmission was gone by 120k miles with 6 payments left to go. Paid it off and traded it for a 4 wheeler that needed some work but could at least shift gears. You couldn't pay me to touch Dodge garbage for years. My wife had a 2003 Jeep Wrangler and that TJ was also a dumpster fire on wheels. That gen was when Chrysler engineering was displacing a lot of AMC engineering.

So it's a simple answer, people bash Ram trucks because for years Chrysler turned anything they touched to crap. You can completely turn around a company but if you've lost credibility people aren't going to give you that second chance. I think Fiat leadership fixed a lot of company problems and they are putting out a great product now. I'm on my second Ram in 2 years after upgrading to a 2500 and my next truck is Ram's to lose at this point. Every Ram basher that has ridden in my truck has been solidly impressed. Public perception takes time but if you look at the sales numbers they definitely have traction.

Zinga

Reaction score
hi all, soon to be new in the world of pick up trucks and was wondering why so many people hate ram trucks. i cant wait to purchase my truck (soon). people that i talk with, people who own trucks keep saying To stay away from ram and to either buy a f150 or gmc/chevrolet. is it the reliabilty ? im from qc, Canada and thanks all !

[mod edit: removed spammy links, banned spammy member]

Guys, this appears to be a spammer (spammy links removed). I'll leave the thread stand as so many replied including several other spammers (also banned) LOL but please watch out for these and report them if you see them.
Now that I've owned a Ram for 1 1/2 years, I understand why people bash them. What I don't understand is why the dodge/ram owners love them so much and are so accepting with what the manufacture provides. Just because the truck has a cummins doesn't make everything else perfect. It just makes the truck "a cummins bolted to a hunk of metal and plastic."

Someday, I'll buy another truck and if this was today, I wouldn't be going to the Ram dealership first.

I understand that making this post won't be popular because if there is one group of owners that suffers from the Stockholm syndrome, it's the "truck with cummins" group. It's too bad because if there wasn't such a cult-like love of anything cummins, the manufacture would probably produce a better truck and have better service.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
Now that I've owned a Ram for 1 1/2 years, I understand why people bash them. What I don't understand is why the dodge/ram owners love them so much and are so accepting with what the manufacture provides. Just because the truck has a cummins doesn't make everything else perfect. It just makes the truck "a cummins bolted to a hunk of metal and plastic."

Someday, I'll buy another truck and if this was today, I wouldn't be going to the Ram dealership first.

I understand that making this post won't be popular because if there is one group of owners that suffers from the Stockholm syndrome, it's the "truck with cummins" group. It's too bad because if there wasn't such a cult-like love of anything cummins, the manufacture would probably produce a better truck and have better service.

I don't have the Cummins and after owning my Ram for 7 months...I can't say for sure that if I was going to buy another truck that it would be a Ram.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score

Stockholm ... i know more ‘’Sweeds’’ driving the Fords and Chevs sipping their cool aid than I can count. They can all be piles. Just depends which one you want to stick your pitch fork in.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Every ford and chevy i have had were junk the last ford i owned was in 06 in 41,000km it went through 2 transfercases a full front end and the engine was burning 3L of oil every fill up which was pretty frequent because it only got 10mpg

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Mine isn't a Cummins, rather the 6.4 Hemi and I have to say after almost a year owning it with around 11,000 miles and many cross country trips in all kinds of weather I wouldn't own anything else. Sorry for the long run-on sentence. Knock on wood it's been great to me vs. my old Ford I had that was in the shop more times than I can count and had put half the miles on it than my Ram.

Habu987

Reaction score
I'm not brand loyal by any stretch of the imagination, but when I got my DT in 2018, it was the clear front runner when I cross shopped it with the F150 and Sierra 1500. I've had my 1500 for about 2.5 years now and will be upgrading to a HD this fall--I've had zero issues with my truck and plan to look at the 2500 first, but I will cross shop it with the F250 and Denali 2500.

sstoner911

Reaction score
How would anyone feel about any brand new vehicle leaving them stradnded....regardless of manufacture,

Anyone seen the new ford Powerstrokes catching fire from fuel leaks?

Come on man! Do not be Chicken Little!

MikeXM

Reaction score

You know that for each RAM guy that has problems with his truck, there is another guy with problems with his Ford or Chevy. It sucks, you have every right to be mad at the company but you can trade your lemon and get some other company's lemon. They ALL have lemons.

I don't know yet for my 7 months old HO RAM how good it will be in the future. But so far it has been flawless.

What I can tell you is that my previous megacab of 13 years has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned, including Japanese cars who were supposed to be way better in reliability. And that is why I bought another RAM.

Nick

Reaction score
I ask that myself. I have owned two Dodge Dakota pickups since 1993 and loved both trucks. This year I bought a 2016 RAM with a HEMI. My soon to be disinherited, 28 yr old son is a Ford fanboy and all he does is find “design flaws” in Ram trucks. He said to me one day that “Ram trucks loose their drive train at 40,000 miles.” So I replied “Then why do I see so many people buying Ram trucks and driving them on the road?” His reply: “because they accept that they will have to repair them”. Thank God that I couldn’t find my ignorant stick! It boils down to this: Ram trucks are as reliable as any. What isn’t reliable is advice from truck or car guys.
Your son does not know what he is talking about . The transmissions are much improved . Maybe you should ask him about those 6.2 Diesels that were going south in big numbers years ago . My usual response is do they make an engine swap kit to put a Ford engine in a Ram . No ! They do make a swap kit to put a Cummins in a Ford ? Yes !A friend is driving one today . When they quit hiring mechanics to work on Fords then he may have a point . Typical blue oval BS !

Zinga

Reaction score
You know that for each RAM guy that has problems with his truck, there is another guy with problems with his Ford or Chevy. It sucks, you have every right to be mad at the company but you can trade your lemon and get some other company's lemon.

The funniest result of any post I've made about the Ram's problems is that there are always the dodge owners who go to the extreme and use the word "lemon."

It's not a lemon.

But for some reason, dodge owners think their trucks are perfect and anyone else who has a problem has a lemon. LOL. They can't understand anything else. It's bizarre.

RV_Goose

Reaction score

Someone is disappointed with every manufacturer out there. What I learned when I worked at American Honda was that all manufacturers have the 80%/10%/8%/2% groups. With an occasional screw up in one vehicle type or another. 80% of folks will never have a warranty claim. 10% will have warranty claims that are resolved by dealerships easily. 8% will have multiple issues and the manufacturer will get involved. And 2% will have issues that cannot be resolved for various reasons.

I would not have bought my RAM without the Cummins. My 1500s were all Chevy's. My 72 was someone's old hunting truck that I paid $350 for in 1986. 2 years later I transferred and sold it for $1000. In 1993 I bought big blue, my 1985 single cab short bed. in 1999 I traded it with 180k for my 1998 C1500 long bed. When my 98 had 165k, it need a total power train rebuild. We had talked about an RV for years, and my 2013 RAM 2500 Tradesman CB SB which pulled my the wheel toyhauler just fine.

Now looking to upgrade toyhaulers, we needed more capacity. So now I have my 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman dually HO Aisin CCLB.

And this is probably my retirement truck. Or maybe a 2022...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread