Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you choose a 3500?

naplesbill

Reaction score
I just switched from a 2020 1500 Longhorn to a 2021 3500 DRW Bighorn. It was all about payload for me. My 1500 only had 1200# of payload (as per door sticker) and the 3500 has 5720# payload.

I currently have an Ultra Light TT so the 1500 had no issues with pulling about 6k loaded. But just attaching the RV to bumper took away half the available payload.

I started looking at 2500 models and almost pulled the trigger on one. And then I found the 3500 with an amazingly high payload and decided to get it. It is also rated for 22k towing but it’s unlikely I would ever tow that heavy. I eventually want to move to a 5th wheel RV and this is the right truck for that.

It’s only been a few days but so far I am happy with my decision. It is a black night edition. The 3500 Big Horn has all the options I wanted except LED headlights and tails. I plan to remedy the headlights in short order but undecided on the tail lights.

Sorry for the long response but these are my reasons anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nd79

Reaction score
I went with the 3500 because I work the truck, and tow every day in the summer. I pull a dump trailer, and just knowing the trailer is my limit, not my truck was enough for me. My tounge weight also changes throughout the day and can get pretty heavy depending on how it is loaded. A 2500 could probably handle the weight just fine but not having to think about it again was enough for me. Again, mine is a work truck.

Zeroday

Reaction score
I chose a 3500 after months of reading the forums and considering transmission reliability concerns, as well as not wanting to paint myself into a corner with capabilities. I wanted to buy a truck that would last me 20 years - now, whether or not it will actually last that long notwithstanding, I didn't want the capability angle to be the problem down the road. Nothing worse than having an adjustable wrench and needing 1/8" wider. This way I'll always have the right tool for the job and at worst it's overkill. And finally I wanted to hedge my bets in case something doesn't work out in the future and it seemed to me the 3500 would retain its resale a little better than the 2500, maybe not monetarily but at least in demand, so I could unload it easier if it came down to that.

HopFanatik

Reaction score
I chose 3500 instead of 2500 (coming from 1500) for a few reasons.
A) With 3500 I get nearly double the payload of similarly equipped 2500
B) Price difference between the 3500 & the 2500 is minimal
C) If i'm spending $70K+ on a HD truck ... future-proof myself

I chose HO/AISIN at the recommendation of the service manager of the dealership I frequent and the reviews from many of you on this forum (and other forums). My old man has a 2011 CTD CC LB Dually with 68RFE and pulls his 38 foot 5'er with zero issues. He didn't have a choice in trans; I do.

I don't tow a 'heavy' TT ... but family of 5 + dog, loading up all the bikes and crap in the box along w/ everything in the TT, wanting to add aux tank for the long hauls to destinations across NA ... 3500 was a no-brainer over 2500.

It is my DD and while it's not quite as snappy or smooth as my modded 1500 (5.7) ... i know that my family is safe while we rumble down the road with all our gear & still w/in payload/capabilities.

I chose a 3500 for stability, longevity & peace of mind.

Reaction score
Okay... after taking delivery of my Beautiful and amazingly powerful 2021 Limited Ram 3500 MegaCab truck... I should have not opted for the 4.10 gears. The MPGs are terrible!! WTF?!?!? I just made a trip from Islamorada, Florida pulling a Grady White Canyon 305 on a triple axle trailer and the best I could average was 8.8mpg!!! In October I hauled this boat down with my 2020 2500 crew cab SWB Cummins and got 13mpg!!! SO WTF? Are we seriously talking a 4-5mpg LOSS just to have the HO & Aisin transmission with a dually? I actually had a 15-20mph TAILWIND and the MOGS were so bad. Unloaded the best I can get is 16mpg.

I love this truck's comfort, quietness and oh GOD the Power is insane... but I'm probably going to find a set of axles with 3.73 gears and swap them out.

Last Week I hauled my 43' Scarab with triple 500hp Big Blocks up the Jacksonville Skyway Ship-Channel bridge, with a crosswind at 65-70 mph and it never even broke a sweat or shifted out of 6th gear. Yeah... she is a HOSS, but she has a Drinking Problem!

Scooterpilot

Reaction score
I ordered my 2021 with 3.73 and unloaded with most of the driving on the HWY, I average 19.5. I compute the mileage, I don't use the mileage from the trucks computer

GBB

Reaction score
Okay... after taking delivery of my Beautiful and amazingly powerful 2021 Limited Ram 3500 MegaCab truck... I should have not opted for the 4.10 gears. The MPGs are terrible!! WTF?!?!? I just made a trip from Islamorada, Florida pulling a Grady White Canyon 305 on a triple axle trailer and the best I could average was 8.8mpg!!! In October I hauled this boat down with my 2020 2500 crew cab SWB Cummins and got 13mpg!!! SO WTF? Are we seriously talking a 4-5mpg LOSS just to have the HO & Aisin transmission with a dually? I actually had a 15-20mph TAILWIND and the MOGS were so bad. Unloaded the best I can get is 16mpg.

I love this truck's comfort, quietness and oh GOD the Power is insane... but I'm probably going to find a set of axles with 3.73 gears and swap them out.

Last Week I hauled my 43' Scarab with triple 500hp Big Blocks up the Jacksonville Skyway Ship-Channel bridge, with a crosswind at 65-70 mph and it never even broke a sweat or shifted out of 6th gear. Yeah... she is a HOSS, but she has a Drinking Problem!
Patience..it’s not even broken in..it’ll get better.

naplesbill

Reaction score

It is more likely because you have a limited. All those extra options and safety features add weight. For all intents and purposes the lower trims should always get better mileage. How much better is the question. What is the curb weight and remaining payload on your door sticker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Dual rear wheels and 50 more hp along with 200 more lb/ft torque arent free as it pertains to mpg.

That said, Ive been getting 8.5-9.5mpg hand calculated towing a 5th wheel toy hauler loaded at 14k lbs with everything from a 1999 2nd gen cummins with a manual and 4.10s to a 2016 cummins with 3.42s. The gears dont matter much for mpg when youre loaded. Unloaded, sure...

I usually tow at 65mph.. touching 70 here and there. If i slowed it down, im sure i'd do better.

Moose074

Reaction score
Hmm where to start, just joking, I bought my first 350 in July 2016 when wife said she wanted a bigger trailer. I owned a 36’ almost 10k when loaded TT. I was already way over payload pulling it with a 2014 Platinum 150 and I knew I wouldn’t feel safe pulling bigger. I just wish she had told me in December. Why December because that’s when I bought the Platinum ( December 31 got a hell of a deal on platinum but was looking at a 250) anyway the best deal at dealership was an old age unit that had repaired hail damage and happened to be a 350.
I moved to CTD looking for better turning radius it came with an extra two wheels in the back. Now on my 3rd CTD 2nd 3500 love my Laramie. Haven’t towed with it yet. It has the HO and Aisen transmission 3:73. My average towing with the SO Cummins same rear was right around 8.9 mpg and it was a Tradesman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeff1759

Reaction score
Got my sweet (2021 3500) ride for the payload capacity. Truck-bed camper on order and should be ready for pickup in Sept/Oct '21. Hit the scales the other day. My fat butt and a full tank gave me a payload of 3800 lbs. Can't beat that!
Been getting around 13 - 14 mpg's with no load. Happy with that as I expected 10 mpg when I ordered.

Chandne

Reaction score
Mainly two things- payload and that HO motor. I figured it was likely I'd get a bed camper soon enough but once I drove both back to back two times, the HO motor did it. While the HO is not as quick as the Duramax or the Ford, the SO is a bit too sluggish feeling. The HO drives quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread