Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are Titan 50 gallon tanks so expensive

D

Deleted member 80

Expensive? Absolutely. Worth it? Best money I spent on the truck. Moot point for new buyers now that they woke up and offer an OEM 50 gallon tank.

jeffn

Reaction score
Unless your fuel outlasts your bladder.

View attachment 10582
indeed. My distance til bladder full (DTBF) is about 300 miles, 200 if I have extra coffee in the day. With a trailer, rest stops are quicker stops than truck stops and gas stations. The extra range I am getting gives me choices about where I’m going to stop, rather than “got to take a leak, might as well top up the 1/2 tank.” I target 1k miles a day so if I can stop for lunch and dinner with a rest stop discharge in between, I am a lot more efficient having the larger tank. I figure it takes 2 stops a day out on average

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Now, that’s really something! A 56% increase in fuel capacity gave you a 80% - 100% increase in range. That really is priceless.

Yuppers....my math did not add up. Half sleepy texting and not conveying the entire conversation that was in my head.

The stock '32' gallon tank was showing red gas light before 220 miles. How much usable fuel was really in my 32 gallon tank? I never ran it below 1/4 before that trip. And I only did so because I had to pass two stations with diesel because I could not get truck and trailer to the pump. Not I did not calculate the mile on the trip odo with the gallons put in.

When it was istalled, shop and I estimated 7 gallons was transferred to the new Titan 55 gallon tank. I filled it up and belive I put in 48 gallons at the pump. So I am sure it actually at least 55 gallons. I took a long trip and found a convenient place to stop and refuel. I still had 1/4 tank indicated (non adjusted so I do not know how accurate guage is at this time). I do recall thinking I still had about 15 gallons remaining. Unfortunately on that section of the trip, We were moving 15-20 mph on I-95 in South Carolina the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So MPG was lower than usual. I believe I had 320 miles on that tank. Still over 100 miles further, and withmore in reserve, than the stock tank.

I did not trust the stock tank to get me much beyond 225 miles pulling the 5th wheel. Especailly when I did not know where the next fuel stop was.

dablack21

Reaction score
I just wish they offered it for the CCSB Hemi. I get 315 miles to a tank. And thats if I drive all highway. I have a bunch of stop and go as well as idle time for work, so I typically only get 220 per tank.

kobra

Reaction score
Yuppers....my math did not add up. Half sleepy texting and not conveying the entire conversation that was in my head.

The stock '32' gallon tank was showing red gas light before 220 miles. How much usable fuel was really in my 32 gallon tank? I never ran it below 1/4 before that trip. And I only did so because I had to pass two stations with diesel because I could not get truck and trailer to the pump. Not I did not calculate the mile on the trip odo with the gallons put in.

When it was istalled, shop and I estimated 7 gallons was transferred to the new Titan 55 gallon tank. I filled it up and belive I put in 48 gallons at the pump. So I am sure it actually at least 55 gallons. I took a long trip and found a convenient place to stop and refuel. I still had 1/4 tank indicated (non adjusted so I do not know how accurate guage is at this time). I do recall thinking I still had about 15 gallons remaining. Unfortunately on that section of the trip, We were moving 15-20 mph on I-95 in South Carolina the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So MPG was lower than usual. I believe I had 320 miles on that tank. Still over 100 miles further, and withmore in reserve, than the stock tank.

I did not trust the stock tank to get me much beyond 225 miles pulling the 5th wheel. Especailly when I did not know where the next fuel stop was.

My experience with my 2016 and 5th wheel were almost identical. I think the farthest I ever went when towing was 260 miles. By that point the "distance to empty" miles had long disappeared to be replaced by "fuel low". I was in the right lane and nervously waiting for any surging and if I felt anything I was prepared to immediately coast to the shoulder and add my 5 gallon jug. I made it and put a little over 30 gallons in; I really think that was cutting it too close.
I haven't towed yet with the 2020 (with titan tank), so will have to wait to see.

Like others, I am looking forward to the larger tank, and the flexibility of being able to pull into rest stops or tourist pull outs instead of scrambling to find fuel.

BTW, a little OT, but if you are not already using GasBuddy, I highly recommend it. We have saved hundreds of $$s by having my wife search ahead of time for where fuel is cheaper. In our experience, truck stops along the same route can be 40 to even 60 cents per gallon difference within a few miles.

B

RV_Goose

Reaction score
indeed. My distance til bladder full (DTBF) is about 300 miles, 200 if I have extra coffee in the day. With a trailer, rest stops are quicker stops than truck stops and gas stations. The extra range I am getting gives me choices about where I’m going to stop, rather than “got to take a leak, might as well top up the 1/2 tank.” I target 1k miles a day so if I can stop for lunch and dinner with a rest stop discharge in between, I am a lot more efficient having the larger tank. I figure it takes 2 stops a day out on average
There are places we go in the mountains that do not have places to fill up the truck with trailer attached. If they even have diesel. All of those trips now can be done where I run 250 miles, refuel, then I am good for the weekend. First time we went we were sweating running out of fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread