Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else is underwhelmed with the side view cameras?

Marshfly

Reaction score
From the marketing I thought I would use the side view cameras a ton backing up my 5th wheel and boat. In reality, the mirrors give a significantly better view and are much more intuitive compared to looking at the display.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawboss3

Reaction score
I can't entirely answer your question, since I don't have the side cameras. In fact I chose not to look for a truck that had the trailer tow package with all the cameras. Mirrors and a spotter are tried and true. While I have thought many times how nice it would be to be able to see on the other side of a trailer, people have gotten the job done without cameras for a long time. Anyway, that's why I thought I could live without them (I still have the single backup camera, and that comes in handy). I was just trying to keep my truck affordable by going with a Tradesman instead of one of the higher trim levels.

Wileykid

Reaction score
I have the surround camera system, and really like it when I don't have anything hooked up. But for towing, nothing beats the mirrors. Camera's only have a limited fixed view, where as you can move around and see the whole picture with the mirrors. If not, when backing up, that is what getting out of the truck is for unless you have a spotter.

D

Deleted member 80

My toy hauler is 102", plus the awning on the curb side, wide and 41 feet long and built like a horse trailer so the axles are way to the back. Even with the mirrors flipped out, I can't see a blessed thing down the right side. It makes passing and merging a pain. On sharp right turns the axles go out of view of the mirrors, so checking curb clearance is sketchy. The side view cameras can be panned out for a wider view. What I find very disappointing is the camera times out quickly and it takes multiple presses to get back to it, so it makes it about worthless for my needs. And yes I know how to use mirrors. Grew up in the lumber business, and cut my teeth driving trucks.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Don't have the surround cameras and didn't want them. And despite the limitations of the mirrors, they give me better situational awareness than I believe the current camera systems could. Just me...

Last edited:

Marshfly

Reaction score
Don't have the surround mirrors and didn't want them. And despite the limitations of the mirrors, they give me better situational awareness than I believe the current camera systems could. Just me...

The 360 view is awesome. And the ability to zoom the hitch and bed camera is great for hitching up.

brucie

Reaction score
From the marketing I thought I would use the side view cameras a ton backing up my 5th wheel and boat. In reality, the mirrors give a significantly better view and are much more intuitive compared to looking at the display.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Don't at all use them for towing and highly disappointed they aren't used when the turn signal is turned on. I really hate the mirrors and having one side camera at a time displaying what's going on while I change lanes would be enormously helpful. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas when a free software upgrade implements that. As of right now those cameras are totally useless for me.

ahhhr

Reaction score
I find the cameras very helpful.
I never expected they would be useful other than parking, close navigation and hooking up.

redman

Reaction score
I love the surround view cameras, I thought it might be gimmicky but i ordered them anyway. gotta say it was a good decision for me anyway. It just takes some of the guesswork away. Now, the cross path detection and parking sensors drive me nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread