Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whistling noise coming from engine.

Drtmvr

Reaction score
I bought this 2020 in February whistling noise coming from front timing cover or fuel pump C P4 2CP3 recall done before I bought. It anybody know if this is normal?

Drtmvr

Reaction score
Try to post a very short video and it said the file was too large.
It has no problem posting on Facebook forums

Stoic_Shane

Reaction score
No loss in pressure/boost anywhere? Could be an intake leak. I highly doubt it but I had some bad threads on some of those parts when I was under the hood and that’s what it sounded like.

Drtmvr

Reaction score
No, definitely coming from the CP3, I can hear something internal with a stethoscope, very noticeable between idle and 1200 RPM. First noticed it driving in my neighborhood with the windows down. Have a friend who also has a 2020 with the CP4 to CP3 recall. His also make the same noise but mine is more noticeable.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems the previous owner of the dually I purchased modified the ECM and Chrysler didn’t want to proceed with the CP4 recall as the flash required after the install would/could have caused issues .

Cheaper to buy a PCM for the recall than to pay for a kit...

But there's probably more to the story... ;)

Stoic_Shane

Reaction score
They did recommend that to me, however I have moved forward with other upgrades already that would make that recall difficult, so you would be right.

I definitely wanted to get it done first, but after due diligence, just went ahead with the likely more expensive option. It’s the forever truck so I’m more ok with the price tag.

I’ll make a thread about the SNS stuff as I do have more than a few questions about it. I think it’ll be an interesting upgrade.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
unless you're chasing some crazy power mods, I'd still get the recall done for free, get a tuner and go ahead and do the recall, then flash it on a parking lot after you pick it up. You will likely need a tuner anyways for all your mods

Stoic_Shane

Reaction score
unless you're chasing some crazy power mods, I'd still get the recall done for free, get a tuner and go ahead and do the recall, then flash it on a parking lot after you pick it up. You will likely need a tuner anyways for all your mods
Whole story:

Bought the truck, took it in for oil. They mentioned they couldn’t find the serial for the PCM/ECM. Preowned seller had put LoJack on it, I thought that was the problem with bypass so I removed it. I had also received my EZLynk and figured I didn’t want to make extra trips so flashed it back to stock with tuners file.

Brought the truck back for round two, the dealer note was that we were missing a file still and the serial was still not found. CDJR cannot authorize the repair with the missing file.

I’m not chasing power but a reliable good running truck that makes decent MPG with a 16000lb 5th wheel. That’s where I’m at. I really appreciate the input and I definitely don’t know if the dealer was pulling one over on me.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Whole story:

Bought the truck, took it in for oil. They mentioned they couldn’t find the serial for the PCM/ECM. Preowned seller had put LoJack on it, I thought that was the problem with bypass so I removed it. I had also received my EZLynk and figured I didn’t want to make extra trips so flashed it back to stock with tuners file.

Brought the truck back for round two, the dealer note was that we were missing a file still and the serial was still not found. CDJR cannot authorize the repair with the missing file.

I’m not chasing power but a reliable good running truck that makes decent MPG with a 16000lb 5th wheel. That’s where I’m at. I really appreciate the input and I definitely don’t know if the dealer was pulling one over on me.
Well this is a whole different story. I'm unsure whether your dealer was pulling one on you or not but should be easy to check if you take it to another dealer. Unless you live middle of nowhere, lol.

Stoic_Shane

Reaction score
Well this is a whole different story. I'm unsure whether your dealer was pulling one on you or not but should be easy to check if you take it to another dealer. Unless you live middle of nowhere, lol.
Yeah I apologize for the ambiguity lol. And for the thread hijack.

The nearest is about 100 away and I suppose at this point I feel it’s gonna be a stretch? That’s to say I’m not being optimistic that it’ll go through and maybe just a waste of time and diesel. It’d be a lot of work to bring the truck back to “recallable” parameters now too.

Having the second opinion would be nice but this dealer was willing to “write it up” as a recall job if I brought in my own pump. I spoke to the mechanic for like four hours as he had some downtime waiting for another lift to open up assuming he’d be doing my recall that day. Seemed like a really good dude. I trust him to do the work, and figure why not bolster one of the weaker parts of the truck?

I haven’t modified diesels before, my 14 I left stock. I’m not afraid of it, but just not sure what value lies where for these machines.

Users who are viewing this thread