Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which soft tri-fold tonneau do you guys like?

dm6

Reaction score
After reading and discussing in other threads, it looks like you can narrow it down to hard roll up and tri fold covers that are in the $800-$1000 range or soft roll up and tri fold covers in the $200-$400 range. I think considering the fact that this is going to be garaged, not used that often, and also not going to have a bunch of stuff back there, the soft tri-fold will probably fit my needs the best. It looks secure enough that nosy people can't just lift up the sides without breaking into it, and lightweight enough that it can be easily removed if necessary, Also, for the low price point of under $300, I won't be out that much if I don't like it or decide to get a cap someday. I have found the Tyger T3 and the Gator SFX that both seem to have good reviews and around the mid $200 range. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these two or any other soft tri-folds in this price range. I really do like the hard ones, both the roll up and tri fold, and if I knew I were going to use this as a permanent solution for the long term, I would probably go with a hard one, but for a quarter of the price, this is probably the way to go at least for now. I appreciate the input.

jeffn

Reaction score
I have the Gator and recommend it. Good fit, has held up. Simple closure for locking it down. Easy to remove if I need the bed open.

TomY

Reaction score
After reading and discussing in other threads, it looks like you can narrow it down to hard roll up and tri fold covers that are in the $800-$1000 range or soft roll up and tri fold covers in the $200-$400 range. I think considering the fact that this is going to be garaged, not used that often, and also not going to have a bunch of stuff back there, the soft tri-fold will probably fit my needs the best. It looks secure enough that nosy people can't just lift up the sides without breaking into it, and lightweight enough that it can be easily removed if necessary, Also, for the low price point of under $300, I won't be out that much if I don't like it or decide to get a cap someday. I have found the Tyger T3 and the Gator SFX that both seem to have good reviews and around the mid $200 range. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these two or any other soft tri-folds in this price range. I really do like the hard ones, both the roll up and tri fold, and if I knew I were going to use this as a permanent solution for the long term, I would probably go with a hard one, but for a quarter of the price, this is probably the way to go at least for now. I appreciate the input.
The tiger is nice for the cash and what its purpose

dm6

Reaction score
I have the Gator and recommend it. Good fit, has held up. Simple closure for locking it down. Easy to remove if I need the bed open.
So from how it looks, there is a metal frame around each panel and when closed, you can't lift it up along the edge unless someone pryed it up with a tool, right? Is it pretty secure unless someone cut the vinyl? Any leaks?

jeffn

Reaction score
No leaks. It comes with some additional insulation for sealing the gap where the tailgate meets the bed.

I have not tried prying it up. You might be able to pull it up 1/4” if you were intent on doing it. The center panel is not secured to the bed, that would be the one I started with. I did not expect it to be as secure as it is, especially for the $.

Sawboss3

Reaction score
I have the Gator. I bought it shortly after I got my truck. I bought it expecting not to like it. ( I was leaning toward a hard tri fold specifically the Bakflip MX4, but I wasn't sure I'd like that either so I went with the Gator, as it was much less expensive)
Now that I've been using it for a year and a half, I can say it is perfectly adequate. While it doesn't turn your truck bed into a bank vault, it gives you enough security that someone won't casually take things from the back of your truck. It is easy to take off completely when you need the extra space. For just over $200 I figured if it should start to annoy me, or fail me in some way, I'll get something else. For now, it is holding up fine.

whitexc

Reaction score
I have the Gator. I bought it shortly after I got my truck. I bought it expecting not to like it. ( I was leaning toward a hard tri fold specifically the Bakflip MX4, but I wasn't sure I'd like that either so I went with the Gator, as it was much less expensive)
Now that I've been using it for a year and a half, I can say it is perfectly adequate. While it doesn't turn your truck bed into a bank vault, it gives you enough security that someone won't casually take things from the back of your truck. It is easy to take off completely when you need the extra space. For just over $200 I figured if it should start to annoy me, or fail me in some way, I'll get something else. For now, it is holding up fine.
I can say the same for me Gator roll up. For the money it is perfect.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

dm6

Reaction score
That's good to hear. I would imagine most crooks aren't going to just randomly cut into tonneau covers not knowing what is inside in hopes there is something good, just like they probably wouldn't smash your window unless they see a laptop sitting on the seat or something easy to grab. I figure if I am going to the store or transporting something, at least this will keep it dry, or if I am traveling, it will give some place to put the luggage. Security is probably not even as much of an issue because even the luggage wouldn't be sitting in there overnight or anything, just during stops along the way. Thanks for the input.

DP3500

Reaction score
I have the TruXedo Deuce 2 Tonneau Cover for mine. great price at it takes 10 mins to put on. it is a tri fold from front and rear and it rolls up. when rolled up it is out of the way as you can see in the picture. best bang for your buck imo.

Attachments

• Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 44

ckreef

Reaction score
My last truck had the lowest model TruXedo soft cover. It basically sat up on the bed rails. It was cheap and worked okay but.........

With my new 3500 I went with the TruXedo x-15 pro. It's a low profile soft cover that barely sits on the bed rails. I like it much better. Has a tighter fit and being low profile looks better. Plus it works with my 5th wheel trlr.

Raidercat

Reaction score
I have the Tyger soft trifold granted its on a Tundra, have had for 2 years and still looks and functions as new. Does not leak, for under 200 bucks i think its a great product. Very easy to take off if needed.

TrailWhale

Reaction score
I got a used Leer Latitude for under $200. It is really nice for the money and surprisingly, mostly water tight.

kristof

Reaction score
I have tyger and no leaks. I need soft cover because I take it off frequently to install racks when I go and pickup lumber or steel. One of the knobs got loose (nut inside handle stripped) and they sent me two knob free of charge. On my previous truck I had tyger cover also and it lasted till I sold the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread