Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which floor jack and stands do you guys like (for tire rotations, etc.)?

dm6

Reaction score
I never really needed a big jack in the past but do use my small 1 1/2 ton floor jack on occasion for other cars so maybe I will get a new bigger one for this truck in case I want to rotate the tires or something. I always just bring my other cars into Discount since that is where I buy the tires from and I am sure they would do it on this for free, but it might be quicker to do it myself than to drive down there and wait. What is a decent jack you recommend? And jack stands too. Do I just need two jack stands for the rear and then jack one side up on the front at a time just enough to take the tire off and put the other one back on?

762fmj

Reaction score
Daytona jack from Harbor Freight (I don't care what people say about HF, that Daytona jack is a beast and Snap-on tried to sue them over it being a copy so good enough for me) and Torin stands. I have 4 6 ton stands mainly for height and a couple pairs of 2 ton for holding things under vehicles or smaller cars.

762fmj

Reaction score
How many stands you need will depend on how you rotate tires.

I do mine with a cross so all 4 need to be up at a time unless I rotate in my spare like I do with my Jeep. Then you always have an extra wheel so you can put one corner up at a time.

If you're doing front to rear you could lift one side at a time.

If you run staggered (not sure why you'd do that on a truck...) You can swap left to right and lift the front or rear only at a time.

darrellr

Reaction score
Daytona jack from Harbor Freight (I don't care what people say about HF, that Daytona jack is a beast and Snap-on tried to sue them over it being a copy so good enough for me) and Torin stands. I have 4 6 ton stands mainly for height and a couple pairs of 2 ton for holding things under vehicles or smaller cars.
What I use too. Torin Big Red locking 6t stands and a Daytona Super Duty 3t jack.

dm6

Reaction score
That is good to know. It seems like stuff at HF is either crap or really good! Looks like they have 4 different 3 ton jacks (assuming 3 ton is sufficient). Which one are you talking about? Looks like that one for $239 is on sale for $209 now too.

1660175310693.png

762fmj

Reaction score
I have the super duty yellow one. They come in more colors now. The differences on the jacks is basically how low and how high they go. Rapid pump won't lift any faster, but what it does is go up to meet the vehicle faster.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I got a basic 2 1/2 Ton old school Harbor freight orange jack with matching pair of orange jack stands. Has served me well for over 20 years.

dm6

Reaction score
I have the super duty yellow one. They come in more colors now. The differences on the jacks is basically how low and how high they go. Rapid pump won't lift any faster, but what it does is go up to meet the vehicle faster.
How high do they need to go to get this off the ground? Will the cheaper ones do the job? Are the HF jack stands ok too?

Darkone

Reaction score
I have a set of jack stands from HF and they are really nice either 6 or 7ton capacity. They do what I need. I will recommend buying a heavier stand like 6ton plus, they have a wider base and seem more stable when you have all 4 wheels off one of these heavy trucks.

762fmj

Reaction score
How high do they need to go to get this off the ground? Will the cheaper ones do the job? Are the HF jack stands ok too?
HF stands guys will talk crap after they had a big multirecall on them. I have no personal experience with them. I bought my Torin stands open box on Amazon for pretty cheap.

I got the super duty because at the time I don't think they actually had more than one Daytona jack like they do now.

In terms of height figure half your tire height is how high up the axle tube is(technically this is bad math because the axle is a couple inches across, but the tire is also compressed when sitting on the ground so good enough imo). These trucks have 33" tires so 16.5" plus however high you need to lift the truck is how tall of a jack stand you need. Any 3 ton jack should be tall enough to reach the diff to lift the front or back.

dm6

Reaction score
Well the cheapest one goes to 18 1/4 so maybe I better get the next one up. I was just going to ask if it's OK to lift it by the differential but you just answered that. Thank you.

HF stands guys will talk crap after they had a big multirecall on them. I have no personal experience with them. I bought my Torin stands open box on Amazon for pretty cheap.

I got the super duty because at the time I don't think they actually had more than one Daytona jack like they do now.

In terms of height figure half your tire height is how high up the axle tube is(technically this is bad math because the axle is a couple inches across, but the tire is also compressed when sitting on the ground so good enough imo). These trucks have 33" tires so 16.5" plus however high you need to lift the truck is how tall of a jack stand you need. Any 3 ton jack should be tall enough to reach the diff to lift the front or back.

phrogman

Reaction score
I bought the yellow Daytona a few months ago and I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Riddick

Reaction score
I have been using an older HF jack since 2006 and its holding up well, granted my current one is only 1.5 tons. I plan to pick up a Daytona 3 ton jack and 6 ton jackstands when it comes time to rotate my tires. Can someone comment if the standard length Daytona 3 Ton is long enough to get our trucks in the air or do we need the taller one? Thanks

dm6

Reaction score
I have been using an older HF jack since 2006 and its holding up well, granted my current one is only 1.5 tons. I plan to pick up a Daytona 3 ton jack and 6 ton jackstands when it comes time to rotate my tires. Can someone comment if the standard length Daytona 3 Ton is long enough to get our trucks in the air or do we need the taller one? Thanks
Just to help out whoever can answer this question, I looked up the ranges of these jacks:

The one for $174 has a range of 5" to 18 1/4"
The $184 is 3" to 20"
The $239 (on sale for $209) is 3 1/4" to 24 1/4"
The $289 is 3 3/4" to 23 1/8"

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
I have four of these. These things are amazing. I was doing suspension on so many trucks that this was the next best thing to a lift. I could lift the truck high enough, and yet let the axles droop to install the springs and still get a jack under the axles.

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_230831_344.jpg
    IMG_20220114_230831_344.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 143

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just to help out whoever can answer this question, I looked up the ranges of these jacks:

The one for $174 has a range of 5" to 18 1/4"
The $184 is 3" to 20"
The $239 (on sale for $209) is 3 1/4" to 24 1/4"
The $289 is 3 3/4" to 23 1/8"
If they have a removable jacking pad you can have an extention post machined so the lift height will be greater

dm6

Reaction score
Ok, so what is the consensus then on the height that we need? Wil any of the ones listed above work? Or 20" just to be safe?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok, so what is the consensus then on the height that we need? Wil any of the ones listed above work? Or 20" just to be safe?
The ones you listed with an extention would be fine just remember almost every lifting point is 8” minimum off the ground most of them are closer to 12” so you will only get 6-8 inches of lift with any jacks you listed the.

Users who are viewing this thread