Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which battery tender to use

Benson

Reaction score
I am installing a dashcam system in my 2022 Limited 3500. It has the capability of monitoring while the truck sits. I'm looking to install a battery trickle charges/tender to keep my battery topped off since the truck is parked most of the time and I drive my Prius. Yes, the Prius get 40 mpg compared to the 15 mpg the truck gets, so I drive it most of the time. I'm looking at a NOCO Genius2 or a NOCO Genius 5. Do I need the 5a or will the 2a get me by? I don't want to have to buy another charger if the 2a isn't enough but would the 5a be too much?

Grey

Reaction score
I am installing a dashcam system in my 2022 Limited 3500. It has the capability of monitoring while the truck sits. I'm looking to install a battery trickle charges/tender to keep my battery topped off since the truck is parked most of the time and I drive my Prius. Yes, the Prius get 40 mpg compared to the 15 mpg the truck gets, so I drive it most of the time. I'm looking at a NOCO Genius2 or a NOCO Genius 5. Do I need the 5a or will the 2a get me by? I don't want to have to buy another charger if the 2a isn't enough but would the 5a be too much?
There are a number of chargers for example Ctek units, that charge at low amp but also monitor the battery status and will go into what is a called a float mode, only charging when it detects a voltage drop. Numerous companies make such units. I use them on my Vettes which can be power drainers when sitting or updating. Only major thing id advise, make sure you have the right type charger, for example Lithium and some AMG batteries need special chargers. Best of luck. Grey

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently read a thread on here about trickle chargers and maintainers that made me rethink my life.

But, I keep my rock crawler on a battery tender brand 3A charger / maintainer inside of my enclosed trailer in which it lives most of its life.

View attachment 63463

I have that brand on my ATV but a smaller AGM model.

sludge

Reaction score
I have a Noco Genius10. Yes it's 10 amps, but that's what I like about it. It not only works as a battery maintainer and trickle charger, but it will also charge both those diesel batteries in a reasonable time frame if they accidentally get low. I have a number of Noco products that have all served me well.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
You really don't need much more than 2amps to maintain a battery on most vehicles even with parasitic draw and two batteries. I'm a big fan of Pulsetech due to being somewhat local and having talked to a number of folks that have participated in their DOD case studies. Plenty of companies have a desulfation technology in their trickle/maintenance/bulk chargers, but I've had excellent luck with their on-board maintainers, their maintenance chargers like the one linked below, and bringing batteries "back from the dead" with their recovery units. I do keep some generic 10-15 amp chargers around since I can't justify the cost of picking up a recovery charger for myself, but I do have their on-board desulfators as well as their maintenance chargers on a number of batteries that have lasted well beyond what I usually see out of a battery here in the Texas heat without doing any sort of "battery maintenance".

I also have one of their older maintainers that I've wired up to a 7 way plug so I can just plug into the ass end of the truck if I'm gonna be away for a while to keep her topped up in a discrete way.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I installed a NOCO 2 amp and found it look forever to top off the those two big assed batteries. Replaced it with a 10 amp NOCO and works much better. The 2amp ended up in my Honda Accord.

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 43

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I installed a NOCO 2 amp and found it look forever to top off the those two big assed batteries. Replaced it with a 10 amp NOCO and works much better. The 2amp ended up in my Honda Accord.
I went with the 5A as it had the recover/repair mode though it hasn't repaired a couple of dead batteries I had laying around. Can't fault it for that.

I figured if the 5A can't keep my Ram topped off this winter, I'll step up to the 10A and redeploy it to my RV or use it to keep maintain my boat batteries over winter as I'm moving the current charger between them whenever I think about it.

I'm also hoping that the upcoming prime day brings a lower price to the GXB155 as I'd like to upgrade from the GB70 I have now that's not great for the truck but perfect for my other stuff.

mountainears

Reaction score
I keep a GBX75 in my truck plugged into the backseat USC-C with a cord that can reach under the back drivers side rear seat where I store it. I’ve used that thing several times, including once to start one of our medic units. Both batteries were drawn down and they had it hooked to a big wheeled jump starter plugged into the wall. Wasn’t starting in the jump start mode. Plugged in the NOCO and it started right up. Love that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I went with the 5A as it had the recover/repair mode though it hasn't repaired a couple of dead batteries I had laying around. Can't fault it for that.

I figured if the 5A can't keep my Ram topped off this winter, I'll step up to the 10A and redeploy it to my RV or use it to keep maintain my boat batteries over winter as I'm moving the current charger between them whenever I think about it.

I'm also hoping that the upcoming prime day brings a lower price to the GXB155 as I'd like to upgrade from the GB70 I have now that's not great for the truck but perfect for my other stuff.
Just ordered the 70 today…should be fine for the Hemi?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I keep a GBX75 in my truck plugged into the backseat USC-C with a cord that can reach under the back drivers side rear seat where I store it. I’ve used that thing several times, including once to start one of our medic units. Both batteries were drawn down and they had it hooked to a big wheeled jump starter plugged into the wall. Wasn’t starting in the jump start mode. Plugged in the NOCO and it started right up. Love that thing.

Can leave the jump pack plugged in full time, they are smart enough to do that safely?

44Dan44

Reaction score
Here is my set up.
IMG_1239.JPG

mountainears

Reaction score
Most of the hardwire systems for the good dashcam have a system to turn them off if the voltage drops to a certain point while in park mode. Of course if you have it plugged into a trickle charger that won’t be a thing.

I have my Viofo dashcam hard wired and I’m not sure it ever isn’t recording. But I drive my truck pretty frequently.

CdnHO

Reaction score

I'm also hoping that the upcoming prime day brings a lower price to the GXB155 as I'd like to upgrade from the GB70 I have now that's not great for the truck but perfect for my other stuff. M

I bought my GB150 due to owning a diesel and almost getting stranded with my 2003 a few years back. Only had to use it once on this one when dummy me drained the batteries messing with the truck when I first got it. Rolled her over with no effort at all. Since then, I just boost other people's mistakes. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread