Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Ball Joint Should I go with? Carli or EMF

Which Ball Joint would you recommend, or have you installed?

• Carli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EMF

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andersen24

Reaction score
Hey all, well after onlt 7k on my Thuren lift running 37’s (23k total on the 2022 PowerWagon) my drivers side upper ball joint is bad. I am going to replace all four. I have read up on the Carli and the EMF and am stuck on which one to go with. TONS of positive reviews on both the Carli and EMF joints on CJC Offroads website (15 for Carli and 13 for EMF). Both have a lifetime warranty, but with the EMF, you can rebuild them without having to remove them or press new joints in. So I am curious what everyone has installed. Thanks is advance!70225730050__6ADD4C42-ABFD-4233-8997-29C372555B80.jpeg

Elevatorguy

Reaction score
Question about your wheel and tire setup. Do you get any rubbing or are you running a spacer? How is it on the highway does it hunt in and out of 8th? TIA

Andersen24

Reaction score
Question about your wheel and tire setup. Do you get any rubbing or are you running a spacer? How is it on the highway does it hunt in and out of 8th? TIA
I am running the Thuren front with Carli +1 rear with Thuren parts in the rear as well. I have the 37” BFG KM3’s on this setup without any spacers and no rubbing anywhere……..just ball joint issues

rfullen280

Reaction score
I have a set of EMF's on my shelf waiting to go on after the snow thaws... build quality is top notch. Haven't seen the Carli.. but I also give a thumbs up to the "no press to replace" concept. Ordered direct from EMF and had them in my hand in under 14 days. Also gonna do their trackbar bushings at the same time. I think either manufacturer is going to be better than OEM by a large amount.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wow 23k and a bad ball joint already
The upper ball joints have a tolerance of play that they’re allowed. Mine started having play early on likely due to the plow, but the OEM are still intolerance and still in the truck lol.

Andersen24

Reaction score
The upper ball joints have a tolerance of play that they’re allowed. Mine started having play early on likely due to the plow, but the OEM are still intolerance and still in the truck lol.
Yeah I had been driving around and every time I go over a bump it sounded exactly like I had a loose shock. I went through the entire truck and re-tightened everything (plus a little extra) and still no change. Put it back on the lift and felt the play in the tire (didnt even cross my mind initially since the mileage is so low), and sure enough had play in the upper joint. Checked the passenger side and nothing. I went ahead and tightened the upper another 40-50 ft lbs. above specs and sure enough it went away. I am towing my daughters trailer to Texas from CA next month, so figured might as well get it done now. I did order the EMF joints, mainly for the fact that if it happens again, you can rebuild them without having to remove them and press another one in…..also figured might as well do all four now and get it over with. And thanks for the input @H3LZSN1P3R - I appreciate it!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah I had been driving around and every time I go over a bump it sounded exactly like I had a loose shock. I went through the entire truck and re-tightened everything (plus a little extra) and still no change. Put it back on the lift and felt the play in the tire (didnt even cross my mind initially since the mileage is so low), and sure enough had play in the upper joint. Checked the passenger side and nothing. I went ahead and tightened the upper another 40-50 ft lbs. above specs and sure enough it went away. I am towing my daughters trailer to Texas from CA next month, so figured might as well get it done now. I did order the EMF joints, mainly for the fact that if it happens again, you can rebuild them without having to remove them and press another one in…..also figured might as well do all four now and get it over with. And thanks for the input @H3LZSN1P3R - I appreciate it!
I am going to have mine changed under warranty this time as they are likely out of spec now have not checked yet but next time ill go with EMF for sure

wilsonck

Reaction score
I put EMF in my 2013 3500 and they were good for a number of years. Make sure you buy their little tool for removing the cap. Also when installing pay attention to where you the set screw is aiming. They have a number of videos on youtube for some tips.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I hadn’t heard of EMF before but after looking at their website I’d say go with them. Looks like a seriously awesome design

Andersen24

Reaction score
I put EMF in my 2013 3500 and they were good for a number of years. Make sure you buy their little tool for removing the cap. Also when installing pay attention to where you the set screw is aiming. They have a number of videos on youtube for some tips.
Thanks for the info!

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Wow 23k and a bad ball joint already
This^. Should be warranty.

Toyota warrantied one for me in a tundra at 30k and I lowered that truck 6”, aftermarket wheels, etc

If you want to upgrade and you have the money I support it but should be warranty item.

Andersen24

Reaction score
This^. Should be warranty.

Toyota warrantied one for me in a tundra at 30k and I lowered that truck 6”, aftermarket wheels, etc

If you want to upgrade and you have the money I support it but should be warranty item.
My friend is the local service manager. I spoke to him about the modifications and he told me it definitely would not be covered under warranty. I am fine doing the repairs……this is the “fun” part of modifying our trucks.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My friend is the local service manager. I spoke to him about the modifications and he told me it definitely would not be covered under warranty. I am fine doing the repairs……this is the “fun” part of modifying our trucks.
Well, on a solid axle truck I’m not sure how he could prove that a new set of coil springs made the ball joint go bad. You’re even on factory offset wheels unless my eyes deceive me.

But, like i said, I support you upgrading. I’m sorry I don’t have any experience with those ball joints to help you

I like the idea of the rebuildable ball joints. I haven’t messed with them but I probably will In the future and here’s why.

I got a Jeep axle from a buddy that had chromoly ball joints in it. I was stripping the axle down to build it when the knuckle fell off with the lower ball joint. Yep the ball joint fell out of the C

I learned that the C of an axle can get stretched out and the ball joints don’t fit tight anymore. When that happens you get the knurled ball joints and they fit tightly in a wallowed out C. Well when the knurled ones don’t fit tightly anymore you need a new axle housing or to cut off the C and build a new housing.

So, the less pressing ball joints in and out the better. Especially if you need them often

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread