Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to Ground for Auxilliary Lighting

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I was looking through other posts and didn't see this answered somewhere else so I thought I'd just post something and hope someone with more experience replies.

I am installing some LED lights onto my brush guard this weekend and wiring them into the existing AUX switches (using AUX1) but was wondering where do I need to ground them at? I've always just installed aftermarket switches but I want to use the existing upfitter switch.

I'll try to get some progress pictures this weekend as I go along.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
Should be able to ground to your frame

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
I put a ground lug with5wires on it on that black cross frame piece near (above) aux sw connectors. Makes it easy to add all my future items and run the wires neat and professionally and keep everything organized and easy to access. If i dont us them all no worries as its a ground and doesnt matter just needs good metal frame connection. My rear lights ground will just get bolted to frame back there to save some wire.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
This reminded me of a youtube video I watched recently. At around 11:11 to 13:00 he states the ground wire is not needed because the aux switches are already grounded. It didn't make sense to me, but he did not use the ground wire. Maybe the light itself is grounded to the frame when installed???

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This reminded me of a youtube video I watched recently. At around 11:11 to 13:00 he states the ground wire is not needed because the aux switches are already grounded. It didn't make sense to me, but he did not use the ground wire. Maybe the light itself is grounded to the frame when installed???

Must be picking up a ground somewhere. No ground, no voltage flow.

AUX circuits are grounded so yes, just picking up power from one and ground anywhere works. There is a single ground at the AUX firewall connectors if needed for something.

1609446951061.png

gmdog2

Reaction score
I used body mount grounds, they r located all over the frame. The schematics are on Ram trucks upfitters area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eng23ine

Reaction score
most quality lights will be housing grounded (the mounting provides ground), so there isn't any real need for a ground wire.

I usually pull 14ga duplex for wiring so I'll go ahead and attach the ground lead and terminate it to an existing chassis ground.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
most quality lights will be housing grounded (the mounting provides ground), so there isn't any real need for a ground wire.

I usually pull 14ga duplex for wiring so I'll go ahead and attach the ground lead and terminate it to an existing chassis ground.
Leds are never housing grounded even the industry best rigid lights have a positive and negative lead, same with KC and PIAA even the halogens have a negative lead i have never seen a quality light without a ground lead except grote the halogens dont have a negative lead.....and if the mounting surface is painted it will not ground thats why the good companys do not use a housing ground

eng23ine

Reaction score
Leds are never housing grounded even the industry best rigid lights have a positive and negative lead, same with KC and PIAA even the halogens have a negative lead i have never seen a quality light without a ground lead except grote the halogens dont have a negative lead.....and if the mounting surface is painted it will not ground thats why the good companys do not use a housing ground
I stand corrected then....learned something new!

Users who are viewing this thread