Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When should MDS kick in?

woody284

Reaction score
I searched MDS several different ways but never got any results. I know it has been talked about on here but no luck pulling a good search.
When should it kick in? My wife tell me I drive like an old man all the time. (I’m 38). It’s not that I’m trying to baby the truck or conserve fuel, it’s just the way I drive. I always leave in plenty of time to get wherever I’m going to not be in a rush. The problem, if it’s a problem is from a stop it sounds like 1st and 2nd are all 8 cylinders then when it goes to 3rd, the exhaust note changes, ECO lights comes on and it’s like it Boggs down sounding. This is my normal driving and slow gradual take offs. I feel like the Eco or MDS shouldn’t kick in when I’m still gaining speed and kick in more once a steady speed is met.
My truck is a stock setup, 6.4 with only cosmetic mods, flares, bed cover, etc. nothing to engine, exhaust, suspension etc.

b307a1

Reaction score
I searched MDS several different ways but never got any results. I know it has been talked about on here but no luck pulling a good search.
When should it kick in? My wife tell me I drive like an old man all the time. (I’m 38). It’s not that I’m trying to baby the truck or conserve fuel, it’s just the way I drive. I always leave in plenty of time to get wherever I’m going to not be in a rush. The problem, if it’s a problem is from a stop it sounds like 1st and 2nd are all 8 cylinders then when it goes to 3rd, the exhaust note changes, ECO lights comes on and it’s like it Boggs down sounding. This is my normal driving and slow gradual take offs. I feel like the Eco or MDS shouldn’t kick in when I’m still gaining speed and kick in more once a steady speed is met.
My truck is a stock setup, 6.4 with only cosmetic mods, flares, bed cover, etc. nothing to engine, exhaust, suspension etc.
Mine does the same thing . I just cancel it.....when I remember.

woody284

Reaction score
I know, I just hate to have to cancel it with the tow haul mode or gear limiter. I guess it the way it’s suppose to work just seems like it’s too early.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If your accelerating like an old lady it will kick in thats normal it goes by rpm load if your not pushing it hard it does not sense much load so it will kick in

b307a1

Reaction score
I know, I just hate to have to cancel it with the tow haul mode or gear limiter. I guess it the way it’s suppose to work just seems like it’s too early.
Using the gear limiter gets rid of it. Just press the - button then press + until you reach 8. It dosen't restrict the tranny at all. The only down side is that you have to do that after each time you start up the engine.

woody284

Reaction score
Yep, I’m that old lady unless I have to get on it. I do all my fast driving at work going to emergency calls. I like to take my time and relax a little bit when I’m off. Correct me if I’m wrong but if I use the gear limiter then it’s shut off completely and will not kick in at all. Even at highway cruise speeds.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yep, I’m that old lady unless I have to get on it. I do all my fast driving at work going to emergency calls. I like to take my time and relax a little bit when I’m off. Correct me if I’m wrong but if I use the gear limiter then it’s shut off completely and will not kick in at all. Even at highway cruise speeds.
Your right it will completely disable the MDS

Users who are viewing this thread