Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wheel weight placement

carlrx7

Reaction score
Needed an outside dually tire replaced. Got the truck back and they put stick weights in the middle of the rim. Not sure what they were thinking??? maybe thought the wheel was to be installed the other way? I plan to go back and correct it.

Have you seen this? and would you call it good?

Attachments

• RR tire weight.jpg
    RR tire weight.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 56

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Needed an outside dually tire replaced. Got the truck back and they put stick weights in the middle of the rim. Not sure what they were thinking??? maybe thought the wheel was to be installed the other way? I plan to go back and correct it.

Have you seen this? and would you call it good?
Thats done by some idiot thats not right id have them fix it with hammer ons and clean all the wieght foam tape residue off after its removed... anyone who does **** like that needs to be left sweeping the floor....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
For what its worth i dont usually balance my duals sometimes i have run beads but even unbalanced you don't feel a vibration

raphelmary

Reaction score
Take it back and hear their excuse first because it's kind of funny to me. Maybe they are novice or something

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe you should update your knowledge some. Not trying to be a smartass.
Modern cars and new balance machines will balance the tire and tell you the correct amount of weight to put in the center of the rim. Veichel manufactures have been doing it like that for years. New style rims have no place to attach the clip on weights.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I've used balance beads in all of my larger tires on my trucks for years. Even used them on my bagger Harley.
They work great and you never have to rebalance the tires. Just drive for about a mile and tires are balanced. They reset each time you take off. There are several manufacturers of them on the market.
It's an old trick off roaders used to do. They would put sand in their tires to balance them. Works even when you air down.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe you should update your knowledge some. Not trying to be a smartass.
Modern cars and new balance machines will balance the tire and tell you the correct amount of weight to put in the center of the rim. Veichel manufactures have been doing it like that for years. New style rims have no place to attach the clip on weights.
You can clearly see the lip for MC hammer ons.... i think you need to update your knowledge.... if the wheels require sticky weights they are only for the outward side as the inward side still has a weight lip and they dont get sticky weights in the center it would go on the inside behind the spokes as far out as it can be pushed...... if you want a bead style balance you would have to follow an oz chart for the tires size you can use anything that amounts to the oz required i have used air soft bbs in my dually i have used golf balls in a set of 44” boggers and even some transport drivers i have done work for use -45 windshield washer fluid weight out to the respective weight.... and the only time it would tell you a center balance is if the balancer is set to static balance thats nothing new ever heard of a bubble balancer same idea. I use static balance on mud trucks that the owners dont want to spring the 100$ extra for beads and if you were to use sticky weights they would not stay on so you static balance with hammer ons on the inward lip.....

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
My 2015 car came from the factory with the weights in the center of the rim. So did my 2012.
To keep the stick on weights on my Harley wheels, we used chrome duct tape over them. Race cars do the same thing.
And yes, I've used bubble balancers before.
The new tire machines are usually set up to dynamic spin balance the tire with the weight placement in the center of the rim.
And yes, the amount of weight you need of balance beads is based on the tire size. And the bigger the tire, it's better to use tire beads vice outside weights.
There is even a goo balance media. We use it in our 40 inch race tires on a 150 MPH desert race truck. It also acts as a temporary plug to keep air in the tire till the truck gets to the next pit.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Took it back and the kid doing the balancing (he didn't take them off) thought the inside was the outside, since my aluminum wheels can be reversed to fit on the front, it was actually balanced backwards.... all good now.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Took it back and the kid doing the balancing (he didn't take them off) thought the inside was the outside, since my aluminum wheels can be reversed to fit on the front, it was actually balanced backwards.... all good now.
He should still know better than to use stick ons when the wheel has a hammer on lip lol

Users who are viewing this thread