Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel inset (inside fender)

Desertfox73

Reaction score
For anyone who has their Power Wagon, can you tell me how far inside the wheel arch/fender flare the face of the wheel sits? Meaning, if you drop a weighted string from the edge of the flare, how far does it sit from the face of the wheel?

Thanks.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Bump - hopefully this is a simple request and would really help me out.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Would love to help if mine would arrive! Its stuck in a railyard 30 miles from my house.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Haha. If I knew where it was in Ohio, I would! At this point I'm biting my nails it shows up as ordered after a 6 month wait.
I get it - mine is about to ship (according to the dealer), and I'm ready to have it. Coincidentally, I will ship it straight from the dealer to Nuthouse Industries in Ohio to have them do all kinds of fun things with it.

SalMeatballs

Reaction score
Mine just went into E status. Hopefully you get your answer before I get my truck.

Paddy3101

Reaction score
It's actually not as easy as it first seems. However, here goes

On the front, the tire at the bottom is approx. 1/2 inch inside the outside edge of the top of the flare.. The 'face' of the wheel is about 3in inside the tire.
So, about 3 inches.

But the face of the wheel isn't flat, so depends on where you measure it.

The fender flare isn't completely vertical, flat, so measured from the center top, widest bit. Measured from at the height of the rim, it's way different.

Don't have level ground, so eyed to make equal distance to top/bottom of the wheel. (Assuming 0 camber)
The back is different
Only measured 1 side, assuming the axle is centered with the body. (Depends on what tolerance you are talking about)

Also, I don't have standard wheels or tires or suspension height.
It's a 2020 if that makes any difference.

Might help if you explained what the measurement is for?

Desertfox73

Reaction score
It's actually not as easy as it first seems. However, here goes

On the front, the tire at the bottom is approx. 1/2 inch inside the outside edge of the top of the flare.. The 'face' of the wheel is about 3in inside the tire.
So, about 3 inches.

But the face of the wheel isn't flat, so depends on where you measure it.

The fender flare isn't completely vertical, flat, so measured from the center top, widest bit. Measured from at the height of the rim, it's way different.

Don't have level ground, so eyed to make equal distance to top/bottom of the wheel. (Assuming 0 camber)
The back is different
Only measured 1 side, assuming the axle is centered with the body. (Depends on what tolerance you are talking about)

Also, I don't have standard wheels or tires or suspension height.
It's a 2020 if that makes any difference.

Might help if you explained what the measurement is for?
Thanks - when you say you don’t have standard wheels or tires, do you mean your measurements above are not using OEM wheels / wheels with OEM measurements and offset?

Basically I’m trying to ascertain where my wheel face will sit relative to the fender flare (poke) when I use aftermarket wheels. If i know how far the stock face sits inside the wheel well, and i know that size/offset, it helps me visualize what my aftermarket offset will look like.

44Dan44

Reaction score

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Thanks - I’ve done the calcs, and know that my new wheel face will sit 57mm further out than stock. The piece I’m trying to get is where that face will sit relative to the fender flare, which is easy to figure out if I know where stock face sits relative to the flare. If stock sits 2” inside, the face should be flush; if stock sits 3” inside, my new wheel face will be 1” inside the flare at its widest point.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Thanks - I’ve done the calcs, and know that my new wheel face will sit 57mm further out than stock. The piece I’m trying to get is where that face will sit relative to the fender flare, which is easy to figure out if I know where stock face sits relative to the flare. If stock sits 2” inside, the face should be flush; if stock sits 3” inside, my new wheel face will be 1” inside the flare at its widest point.
On mine, I just took into account the "coverage" measurement of the flares. I know I'm not helping you much, except for maybe bumping thread lol
Image 3-16-23 at 4.55 PM.jpg

Paddy3101

Reaction score
Thanks - when you say you don’t have standard wheels or tires, do you mean your measurements above are not using OEM wheels / wheels with OEM measurements and offset?

Basically I’m trying to ascertain where my wheel face will sit relative to the fender flare (poke) when I use aftermarket wheels. If i know how far the stock face sits inside the wheel well, and i know that size/offset, it helps me visualize what my aftermarket offset will look like.
Yes, non-standard Toyo AT3 295/70 r18 on Method 18x9 with -18 offset.
The wheel is 9inch wide, the tire is 11.8 inches wide

Basically the outside of the tire, lines up with the outside top of the fender flare.
(Ignoring that the axle isn't exactly centered with the body)

Might help visualize if using similar sort of size wheel/tire.

Of coarse, since the body/bumper/flare is considerably narrower down where the wheel is, it looks poked out from there.

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Yes, non-standard Toyo AT3 295/70 r18 on Method 18x9 with -18 offset.
The wheel is 9inch wide, the tire is 11.8 inches wide

Basically the outside of the tire, lines up with the outside top of the fender flare.
(Ignoring that the axle isn't exactly centered with the body)

Might help visualize if using similar sort of size wheel/tire.

Of coarse, since the body/bumper/flare is considerably narrower down where the wheel is, it looks poked out from there.
This is actually super helpful - thanks. Would love to see a photo of the poke if you have one.

Paddy3101

Reaction score
This is actually super helpful - thanks. Would love to see a photo of the poke if you have one.
Just taken now.

The steps are coming off, and 37s going on soon. Then looking at a suspension upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_20230316_164934744_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230316_164934744_HDR.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230316_164958007_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230316_164958007_HDR.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230316_165254414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230316_165254414_HDR.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230316_165235168_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230316_165235168_HDR.jpg