Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel Bearing?

DHaus

Reaction score
Has anyone had a bad wheel bearing already on the new trucks? I have a 2019 2500 reg cab hemi with a little over 11K and just this week noticed a "clunking" when turning at slow speeds. I threw it up on my brothers lift and there noticeable play up and down when you grab tire on the passenger side. My brother is a competent ASE mechanic and said he'd bet its a wheel bearing. I have had a 2" bilstein level and 285/75/18's for the last 5k miles but I can't imagine that should matter that much this early. I've made an appointment at the dealer for middle of next week and they weren't concerned about the aftermarket changes but the service guy kinda laughed off the idea it was a wheel bearing. Anyone else have anything similar this early?
thanks
Dan

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
Had a Chevy that had a bad hub bearing every 20-30k miles, first one started right at 20000 so not crazy to say its impossible. If you put it up and had that play that hubs cause i guess its possible, maybe some other linkage but you will know soon enough if your driving it daily. Just make sure you document at dealership for warranty!

DHaus

Reaction score
On the lift, didn't have any play in the wheels side to side to show a ball joint. Only the the passenger wheel up and down. and its a low clunking on slow turns. Anyway I'll see what the dealership says next week. I have some connections there so I'm hopeful, haha.

ST3500

Reaction score
On the lift, didn't have any play in the wheels side to side to show a ball joint. Only the the passenger wheel up and down. and its a low clunking on slow turns. Anyway I'll see what the dealership says next week. I have some connections there so I'm hopeful, haha.
I had the same symptoms on my 2019 dually, it ended up being the steering box and got it replaced under warranty at only +/- 4,000 miles.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Has anyone had a bad wheel bearing already on the new trucks? I have a 2019 2500 reg cab hemi with a little over 11K and just this week noticed a "clunking" when turning at slow speeds. I threw it up on my brothers lift and there noticeable play up and down when you grab tire on the passenger side. My brother is a competent ASE mechanic and said he'd bet its a wheel bearing. I have had a 2" bilstein level and 285/75/18's for the last 5k miles but I can't imagine that should matter that much this early. I've made an appointment at the dealer for middle of next week and they weren't concerned about the aftermarket changes but the service guy kinda laughed off the idea it was a wheel bearing. Anyone else have anything similar this early?
thanks
Dan

Please be sure to keep us posted on your dealer's findings, Dan! We are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer if needed.

Mark
RamCares

Shine006

Reaction score
I had the same, clunking on slow turns. Ended up being the drag link. Dealer replaced and no more clunk.

hardyaw9

Reaction score
To the OP, Did anything ever get concluded? My truck is currently at the dealer getting both wheel bearings replaced. Only 20k

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
To the OP, Did anything ever get concluded? My truck is currently at the dealer getting both wheel bearings replaced. Only 20k

Did the dealer give you any grief about the lift or 35" tires?

hardyaw9

Reaction score
No, they actually came out and said they didn't think my lift caused it. They were quite surprised but had a thought maybe others have had this issue because the parts are backordered.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
No, they actually came out and said they didn't think my lift caused it. They were quite surprised but had a thought maybe others have had this issue because the parts are backordered.

That is good to hear. I had a Jeep dealer trying to blame my lift for the reason my trans would pop out of reverse. I showed them the TSB and even removed the shifter boot to show them there was no interference. The service manager still dug his heels in. Last time I went there for any service.

Users who are viewing this thread