Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheel and Tire NO GO 305/70/18 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT on 18x9 +18 no lift 2022 2500 Limited

MacDuff

Reaction score
Well...Thought I'd done my homework on this and I could squeeze them in.
NOPE, not happening. The Mickey's seem to be a bit larger in actual size that what tiresize.com says and they hit in multiple places pretty hard.
Just wasn't happening. Thankfully Tirebuyer.com was kind enough to take them back and exchange even though they were mounted so kudos to them.
I'm going with a 295/70/18 Mickey and hope that they fit.
The 305's measure 35.3 x 12.3 so this might be of use for future attempts. Might save someone else from my mistake.

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
I've got the 295s. Fits fine with stock suspension. Great tire. Killed my highway mpgs though.

MacDuff

Reaction score
I've got the 295s. Fits fine with stock suspension. Great tire. Killed my highway mpgs though.
Great to hear that they fit, not so great to hear about the MPG's though..lol.
I'm afraid to ask, but what's your hwy MPG looking like with the 295's?

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
I ran that size tire in a Cooper AT3. Had them on a 18 2500 6.7 Cummins. Avg was 17.6 to 18 mpg. I did the Tire size adjustment with Alpha.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Yeah, a 305/70-18 is ~3/4 inch taller then most 12.5x35 that most people run though they are slightly narrower. I run the 305 with a +18 wheel on my 16' but have a 2.3" level

MacDuff

Reaction score
Yeah, a 305/70-18 is ~3/4 inch taller then most 12.5x35 that most people run though they are slightly narrower. I run the 305 with a +18 wheel on my 16' but have a 2.3" level

Well... I learned that the hard way..lol! And I can definitely attest to that extra 3/4 inches not fitting a stock 2022 2500.

Jacob

Reaction score
I went from about 21mpg to 17 or 18mpg on the highway.
Oddly, towing is still 11mpg. Like the truck says this is just as bad as it gets.
Towing, shifting, acceleration, etc still good just mpg loss.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I went from about 21mpg to 17 or 18mpg on the highway.
Oddly, towing is still 11mpg. Like the truck says this is just as bad as it gets.
Towing, shifting, acceleration, etc still good just mpg loss.
Depending on which tire you went to and if you changed out the wheel, the unsprung weight can be significant...

Nick

Reaction score
Rolling resistance is also a significant factor in fuel mileage. Rib tires having the least ,wide blocky tires more.

Nick

Reaction score
Did you look into offset wheels ?

MacDuff

Reaction score
I’m really surprised that size didn’t fit. I wonder if a level would help with that since it’s the tire height that is seemingly the problem ?
I was surprised as well, I know that many have used 35x12.5 18 with the same size wheel 18x9 +18 offset with no problems. These are actually about .8 inches taller than a typical 35 and they weren't even close to fitting.
I'm adding a 1 inch lift just to be sure and going with the 295/70 18 to play it safe. Tallish not quite pizza cutter sizing.
I'm running them on my 2015 Gen5 1500 with a 3 inch lift and they're good. Just a very slight rub at full lock every now and then.

joelp

Reaction score
MacDuff- Did they hit radius arms? Could you just done a bunch of trimming of the fender liner and pinch weld or were there other places that it hit as well? I was just looking at those exact as the perfect size tire for what i'm looking for with my 1" thuren springs up front. i'm a +12 offset so i'm not sure if that's better or worse that your +18.....

Thanks for any additional info

MacDuff

Reaction score
MacDuff- Did they hit radius arms? Could you just done a bunch of trimming of the fender liner and pinch weld or were there other places that it hit as well? I was just looking at those exact as the perfect size tire for what i'm looking for with my 1" thuren springs up front. i'm a +12 offset so i'm not sure if that's better or worse that your +18.....

Thanks for any additional info
Hi Joelp, they hit the outer lower small mudguards and also hit the fender liners in the rear hard in multiple places. The shop that did the install tried to trim the liners and I wound up with holes so large that I had several large wiring connectors exposed on both sides.
I didn't even get to see if they hit the radius arms because they hit so much even before they got that far.
This size may work with another brand of tire, your lift might make the difference, or maybe the fender liners could have been heated and reshaped.
That being said, for me these tires weren't even close to fitting.
I installed the Mickey Thompson AT's 295/70/18 and they just squeeze in with no rubbing. Nothing to spare, so I'm thinking that this is VERY close the max size tire I could fit without any mods.
Wish I could be more help on the radius arms.

Last edited:

joelp

Reaction score
Hi Joelp, they hit the outer lower small mudguards and also hit the fender liners in the rear hard in multiple places. The shop that did the install tried to trim the liners and I wound up with holes so large that I had several large wiring connectors exposed on both sides.
I didn't even get to see if they hit the radius arms because they hit so much even before they got that far.
This size may work with another brand of tire, your lift might make the difference, or maybe the fender liners could have been heated and reshaped.
That being said, for me these tires weren't even close to fitting.
I installed the Mickey Thompson AT's 295/70/18 and they just squeeze in with no rubbing. Nothing to spare, so I'm happy that this is the max size tire I could fit without any mods.
Wish I could be more help on the radius arms.
got it. thanks.

running the 285/75s in my sig line and theres a lot of clearance with my 1" springs from thuren so hopefully those 307/70s will fit. if not, i'd be fine with putting on the 2" springs if need be and i know i'm going to have to remove those little mud guard things and do some cutting. planning on getting the carli radius arms anyhow so that shouldn't be an issue.

either way there's no rush at all because i've got nearly 30k on my falken at3w over 2 years and they look like they have another 30k left in them easily. of course when you want a tire to wear so you can get a bigger more aggressive one, it lasts forever....

thanks again mcduff

Bigrj66

Reaction score
I’m running 325/70x18 on -14 wheel. Hit o. The pinch welds. I put 2.5” front, and 1.5” rear from Ruff country. Does not rub anymore.

MacDuff

Reaction score
got it. thanks.

running the 285/75s in my sig line and theres a lot of clearance with my 1" springs from thuren so hopefully those 307/70s will fit. if not, i'd be fine with putting on the 2" springs if need be and i know i'm going to have to remove those little mud guard things and do some cutting. planning on getting the carli radius arms anyhow so that shouldn't be an issue.

either way there's no rush at all because i've got nearly 30k on my falken at3w over 2 years and they look like they have another 30k left in them easily. of course when you want a tire to wear so you can get a bigger more aggressive one, it lasts forever....

thanks again mcduff
Makes sense, the lift makes all the difference. I may go that route in the future for my next set of tires. Not sure I'll go much larger though as I already notice that she's a little more sluggish and MPG's went from bad to worse...lol.
Love these damn trucks and that's the price we pay!

Users who are viewing this thread