Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would be the benefit of getting a 220 amp alternator?

Ickabod

Reaction score
I ordered the "Dual Alternators Rated at 380 Amps" because of the accessories I plan on adding. This will include rear lights, light bar and upgraded stereo. Not sure I will use all of it, but didn't want to be draining my batteries when I crank up the lights and music.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have dual 440amp alternators i didnt order the truck but with the plow its nice to have

jm888

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to towing a travel trailer to get the big alternator, as far as charging the trailer battery or anything?

Cheetah

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to towing a travel trailer to get the big alternator, as far as charging the trailer battery or anything?
In a stock setup, unlikely. The distance and relatively small wire gauge to the trailer results in too much voltage drop and little current for any significant charge. It'll float charge most coach battery setups, but not much else. With some extra work there are ways to get decent charge going, but even then the 220A alternator is probably enough for most scenarios if there are no other non-vehicle loads.

whitexc

Reaction score
I did order a 220 amp. Overkill but if I add a plow it will come in handy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I ordered my truck with dual alts, 440A. The upgrade wasn't that much and I figured better have extra and not need it than need and not have it. If one of them quits, I'll still have another one making juice.
You could also install a powerful DC to AC converter which could run a small house during the emergency.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Should have said "an" I guess...
I had the recent desaster in Texas in mind when I talked about an emergency. A truck with dual alts and DC to AC converter woulda been useful.

1651Naismith

Reaction score
I ordered my truck with dual alts, 440A. The upgrade wasn't that much and I figured better have extra and not need it than need and not have it. If one of them quits, I'll still have another one making juice.
You could also install a powerful DC to AC converter which could run a small house during the emergency.
^^^^this was exactly my thinking as well when placing my order with dual alts. It’s about creating options for the future as I tend to keep vehicles for a long time.

That said, if I could have found one on the lot with everything I wanted but the dual alts, I would have taken it.

jm888

Reaction score
So just to summarize, if I don't plan on adding any aftermarket lights, or stereo system, or anything else, then there really is no upside to get the 220 amp alternator, correct?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So just to summarize, if I don't plan on adding any aftermarket lights, or stereo system, or anything else, then there really is no upside to get the 220 amp alternator, correct?
Quicker battery recovery after startups.

Sent from my work avoidance device

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I've never seen someone do as much active posting research pre-sale as you. Props.

Big alternators are good for loading (4) 15s to smash through Foley park with tremendo.

jm888

Reaction score
I've never seen someone do as much active posting research pre-sale as you. Props.

Big alternators are good for loading (4) 15s to smash through Foley park with tremendo.
I know, I am researching stuff to death! But I tend to keep vehicles forever so want to make sure I get this right so I don't have to do it again for another 15 years or more! I appreciate all of the help here. I almost have it narrowed down now.

Users who are viewing this thread