Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What r u guys running psi?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I used the AphaOBD and lowered my to like 20 PSI. That way I can air down when off road.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
2020 SWR LB CTD. I run 65 front and 50 rear unloaded on stock 18’s and Transforce. Pulling 14k+ 5er I fill up rear to 80psi. I’m switching to Fuel wheels and Toyo 35’s next week and from the data charts I’ve seen on them pressures will stay about the same.
I have the fuel wheels and 35x12.50-18 tires , I run 50 front and 45 rear unloaded but the tires are 12 ply so don't need as much. I air up to 65-70 rear and 65 front when pulling my 14k bumper pull enclosed trailer or wood trailer. Before i removed the transforce i ran them at 65 front and back unloaded.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the fuel wheels and 35x12.50-18 tires , I run 50 front and 45 rear unloaded but the tires are 12 ply so don't need as much. I air up to 65-70 rear and 65 front when pulling my 14k bumper pull enclosed trailer or wood trailer. Before i removed the transforce i ran them at 65 front and back unloaded.

Being 12 ply doesn’t mean they need less air for the load.

The ply rating (remember they don’t actually have 12 plys) doesn’t effect low load pressures. In your example with 35x12.50-18 a D, E, and F rated tire all can hold the same weight at 50 psi, 2910 lbs. The main difference in all 3 is the max pressure, which limits their max weight.

The D rated tire is limited to 50 psi.

The E and F rated tire can both hold the same weight at 65 psi, 3415lbs.

The E rated tire is limited to 65 psi.

The F rated tire can go to 80 psi and hold 3970 lbs.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Being 12 ply doesn’t mean they need less air for the load.

The ply rating (remember they don’t actually have 12 plys) doesn’t effect low load pressures. In your example with 35x12.50-18 a D, E, and F rated tire all can hold the same weight at 50 psi, 2910 lbs. The main difference in all 3 is the max pressure, which limits their max weight.

The D rated tire is limited to 50 psi.

The E and F rated tire can both hold the same weight at 65 psi, 3415lbs.

The E rated tire is limited to 65 psi.

The F rated tire can go to 80 psi and hold 3970 lbs.
E rated tires are limited to 80 psi. D is limited to 65 psi and the F to 95 psi.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
E rated tires are limited to 80 psi. D is limited to 65 psi and the F to 95 psi.

Not in all sizes. Many of the larger floatation sizes are as I listed. My example was specific to the 35x12.50-18 being referenced.

EAEB3714-B238-4B2C-818F-5E58B00EA421.jpeg

CdnHO

Reaction score
2500 or 3500?

3500's have TPIS and won't ever set off a warning.

2500's have a warning like the 1500, but I don't know the threshold. You can edit it with AlfaOBD too.
I changed my dually to TPMS so I now get a low pressure warning. Not sure why they don't enable TPMS at the factory, except maybe the law doesn't require it. As far as pressures go, I used the Cat Scale weights of both the truck and trailer along with the Load/Pressure table. I do add 10 psi to the trailer as the thing is heavier on the driver's side. With the fiver hooked up, the required pressures are pretty close to what the door sticker says. Unloaded, I run 35 psi in the rear duals. But I digress.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed my dually to TPMS so I now get a low pressure warning. Not sure why they don't enable TPMS at the factory, except maybe the law doesn't require it. As far as pressures go, I used the Cat Scale weights of both the truck and trailer along with the Load/Pressure table. I do add 10 psi to the trailer as the thing is heavier on the driver's side.
I have thought about enabling TPMS, but the thread hold would be pretty low since I run 25-80 psi on my rear axle, so I’m not sure the warning would be early enough if loaded. I generally keep the tire pressure screen up.

My dad does want me to convert his TPIS to TPMS thou.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have thought about enabling TPMS, but the thread hold would be pretty low since I run 25-80 psi on my rear axle, so I’m not sure the warning would be early enough if loaded. I generally keep the tire pressure screen up.

My dad does want me to convert his TPIS to TPMS thou.
I change the pressure threshold depending on if I am towing (65 psi) or unloaded (35 psi). I use J-Scan (IOS) and only takes five minutes. I assume AlphaODB does the same thing. I just like to know if there is a tire issue without having to have the screen up on the EVIC all the time. That said, I only need to change it four times a year. If you were airing down every weekend, it would get to be a pain. I am always paranoid about tire issues, so it is nice to have the TPMS on both truck and trailer.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I change the pressure threshold depending on if I am towing (65 psi) or unloaded (35 psi). I use J-Scan (IOS) and only takes five minutes. I assume AlphaODB does the same thing. I just like to know if there is a tire issue without having to have the screen up on the EVIC all the time. That said, I only need to change it four times a year. If you were airing down every weekend, it would get to be a pain. I am always paranoid about tire issues, so it is nice to have the TPMS on both truck and trailer.
That’s a good point, I only run 25 psi once a year. I do frequently go from 35 to 65 thou.

unclelala

Reaction score
Semi-related, how accurate is the Ram tire pressure display? This afternoon I used my Viair gauge to check the tires and the Ram display is approximately 3 lbs. more on all 4 tires

CdnHO

Reaction score
Semi-related, how accurate is the Ram tire pressure display? This afternoon I used my Viair gauge to check the tires and the Ram display is approximately 3 lbs. more on all 4 tires
I use a 200 dollar pressure gauge and the display is nowhere near accurate. Close enough for indicating an issue however.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a 200 dollar pressure gauge and the display is nowhere near accurate. Close enough for indicating an issue however.

What percentage of error are you seeing?

On my cheaper, but not cheap, gauges the difference is less than 2%.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Depending on the tire, I am seeing up to ten percent error.
That said, most tires are close but I have one that is way off by 6 psi. I trust my gauge however. They also seem to vary a lot while running down the road. By "a lot" I mean up to three psi on a tire. Sunshine and pavement temps probably account for some of this.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Do you have the selectable tire fill alert?
I have it and it does not work no matter what i try i have followed the instructions to a T and i can not get it to work.

My nissan has a similar system and it works great

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, But never used it. Easier to use a gauge.

I was mainly wondering because there is a difference in the TPMS sensors. I find the non selectable tire fill ones take a mile or two to read correctly, but the selectable tire fill ones always read well.

I like it for when I’m using my OBA and just clamp the tire chuck onto the valve.

I want to change the sensors in my 18’s for hunting to the selectable tire fill version.

I have it and it does not work no matter what i try i have followed the instructions to a T and i can not get it to work.

My nissan has a similar system and it works great

Interesting. I really like it, in fact I was using it yesterday.

I really don’t like that I have to enable it in two places every time I use it thou.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was mainly wondering because there is a difference in the TPMS sensors. I find the non selectable tire fill ones take a mile or two to read correctly, but the selectable tire fill ones always read well.

I like it for when I’m using my OBA and just clamp the tire chuck onto the valve.

I want to change the sensors in my 18’s for hunting to the selectable tire fill version.

Interesting. I really like it, in fact I was using it yesterday.

I really don’t like that I have to enable it in two places every time I use it thou.
I wish it worked i may try again one day but not holding my breath

Users who are viewing this thread