Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What oil for 2020 cummins? - Merged oil threads

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Amsoil is cheaper than $23 per gallon ?
Its not that price here in canada…. Its 64$ +13% tax a gallon plus a 1hr round trip drive vs 3 gallons of amsoil for 112$

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Its not that price here in canada…. Its 64$ +13% tax a gallon plus a 1hr round trip drive vs 3 gallons of amsoil for 112$
Wow! I figured it must be a regional thing. I can get Rotella delivered from Sam’s Club for 64 and change plus tax for 3-1 gallon case at times when they put it on sale. Got 15 gallons from the last sale in my shop.

Last edited:

unclelala

Reaction score
Here in Brampton Ontario Cummins Online Store delivers Valvoline 5w 40 Premium Blue 4 litres to me for $45.83 plus 13% tax.

jebruns

Reaction score
Alright. I’m gonna be honest. At the start of the thread I was thinking Rotella… and now by the end I’m thinking Amsoil…
I'd make sure whatever oil you choose, it actually has the API specs that Ram requires. Some will tell you they "meet or exceed" specs, but they have never actually gotten them tested/approved by API. Amsoil actually started that. I'm not sure if they are still doing it. Last I knew, they had some that were actually API certified, some not. Personally, I like having the actual API certification.

phatboy64

Reaction score
I am not sure if this has been shared in the past but they are saying that in temps above 0 deg use 10w30

phatboy64

Reaction score
Yeah I am pretty sure I am going to do that, I wasn’t looking for approval. That wasn't the reason for my post.

Mikerob14

Reaction score
I think what he was saying is that it was actually already mentioned about the temps above 0… and there is no harm using either weight. So use whatever you want in that regard.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
The TSB that warns about not using 15-40 in the 19+ trucks says use 10-30 if lowest temperature is above 0. In temperatures below 0 use 5-40 but 5-40 is fine in summer time temperatures also. This is not the exact wording but I couldn’t find the TSB to post again. It never gets to 0 here or anywhere I travel to when I’m there but I do regularly see 100+ degree days and that’s when I do my towing. I asked the service manager at the dealership “What grade of oil do I need to run in this truck?” He said “5w-40 Synthetic year round”. I was glad to oblige. If you want to run 10-30 it is acceptable. Without UOA’s from hundreds of vehicles running the two different grades to compare, it’s a moot point to argue for one over the other. I think the number of automatic regens should be taken into account when deciding how long to run the oil before changing though.

Mikerob14

Reaction score
The TSB that warns about not using 15-40 in the 19+ trucks says use 10-30 if lowest temperature is above 0. In temperatures below 0 use 5-40 but 5-40 is fine in summer time temperatures also. This is not the exact wording but I couldn’t find the TSB to post again. It never gets to 0 here or anywhere I travel to when I’m there but I do regularly see 100+ degree days and that’s when I do my towing. I asked the service manager at the dealership “What grade of oil do I need to run in this truck?” He said “5w-40 Synthetic year round”. I was glad to oblige. If you want to run 10-30 it is acceptable. Without UOA’s from hundreds of vehicles running the two different grades to compare, it’s a moot point to argue for one over the other. I think the number of automatic regens should be taken into account when deciding how long to run the oil before changing though.

Attachments

• IMG_7811.png
    IMG_7811.png
    750 KB · Views: 57

scrmblr2

Reaction score
Did my first oil change last week. 7200 miles and under a year.
I used rotella t6 10w30 and a mopar filter from genos garage. Went pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread