Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What not to order

kevin588127

Reaction score
So we all know that it seems to be a total crapshoot as to what gets built and when. I thought I had it narrowed down to the rambox but a guy just posted that he ordered in late March and his will be built in early June. I've been D status for a touch over 3 months. I'd be curious to see what kind of options are keeping others, preferably some of the long haulers, from being built. Here is mine that apparently, they can't find parts for

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220428-204910-327~2.png
    Screenshot_20220428-204910-327~2.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 78
Reaction score
I really cant say, Jan 10th 2022, ordered 2 identical loaded 2500 limited ccsb4x4 diesels, no ram box, no air suspension, but pretty much everything else, sunroofs etc. 1 is built (Granite crystal) and somewhere in shipping, the other (delmonico red) hasn't even been started.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I really cant say, Jan 10th 2022, ordered 2 identical loaded 2500 limited ccsb4x4 diesels, no ram box, no air suspension, but pretty much everything else, sunroofs etc. 1 is built (Granite crystal) and somewhere in shipping, the other (delmonico red) hasn't even been started.
Interesting and I guess that shoots down the theory of any specific part being the problem, atleast in your case.
Wonder if they just have a big board with everyone's poc on it and they take turns throwing darts.
I'm kinda frustrated because I skipped the tech package thinking that would slow things down.

Jsboening

Reaction score
Order fully loaded limited 6.4 air suspension, rambox sunroof on December 28th believe. Last I heard was the sunroof was causing delays. Who knows. Just being patient. What else can you do.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Shoulda ordered exactly what you wanted. Your gonna wait anyway. Start worrying after 20 weeks.
If that was the case I wouldn't have ordered at all. Really wanted hydro blue but it was unavailable by the time I ordered. May end up working out ok for me. If the 23s are available to order before I have a build date, I'll look into ordering a 23 and back out of the 22.

d19r93

Reaction score
Here's what another member and I talked about previously after gathering facts about orders....

From what I can tell, it boils down to dealer allocation, as well as if what you ordered fits in the bundle of trucks they're building at the time. I don't think it's any one particular option that really holds up the order. It seems to follow a bulk pattern.

For example, say Ram is about to make 30 2500 Laramies with the diesel. They're only making 30 for this session of builds, and some of those are dealer stock, some are special order (depending on sequence number) and if you don't make it in that batch, you're waiting for the next round to go.

Not sure if that's 100% but that's the only thing that makes sense so far.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Here's what another member and I talked about previously after gathering facts about orders....

From what I can tell, it boils down to dealer allocation, as well as if what you ordered fits in the bundle of trucks they're building at the time. I don't think it's any one particular option that really holds up the order. It seems to follow a bulk pattern.

For example, say Ram is about to make 30 2500 Laramies with the diesel. They're only making 30 for this session of builds, and some of those are dealer stock, some are special order (depending on sequence number) and if you don't make it in that batch, you're waiting for the next round to go.

Not sure about the allocation thing. I was originally going to order through granger but they said the ram box was on restriction. I ended up going through MD because they were able to order the ram box. Originally I was thinking something along with what you are saying but have since seen trucks ordered well after mine built with the ram box.
As to your second point, that actually seems somewhat logical. Build trucks that are similarly equipped in batches. For awhile it seemed like they were cranking out larimies but larimies also seem to dominate the spreadsheet.

mcarey

Reaction score

I'd imagine the "hold up" is a lot more in line with this, than some convoluted selection of random items, colors, and packages.

End of the day, RAM is trying to push as many of these things out the door as they can. I've got to imagine that at some point, it's a lot easier to just make the trucks, than to try and come up with some asinine algorithm ruling this or that out.

They obviously cannot complete trucks with parts they don't have, but I bet it works something along the lines of:

- make trucks in order of ordering, in batches that make assembly line sense,
- high value full option and bottom barebone spec trucks take precedence due to cost, requirement of components, and lack of overall options,
- trucks that cannot be made for eventual X missing item gets pushed to next potential batch when item is available, with trucks above possibly before them still,
- odd ball orders, weird colors, etc, get pushed to next relevant batch where it makes sense (ie, finally got X order in neon pink), with trucks above possibly before them still,
- canada, you get it next year.

That said, I truly have no idea how it actually works, and I doubt any forum-backed amount of data will uncover much. You'd need to see their entire production to try and weed through what they may be doing.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Agree that we will likely not come to a conclusion but I find the whole thing kind of interesting to follow. Was hoping to hear from some of the guys that have been in longer than me, that may not be very vocal over in the sticky thread.

For the first several months that I contacted ram chat, the response was that they were "gathering parts and I would be sequenced soon", or something along those lines. The last couple times it has been "sequenced for production but no projected ship date". Still d status from what I can tell. I know not to put much faith in what they say but their original responses made me think that they were having a hard time sourcing something for my particular build. Time will tell I guess.

IowaPW

Reaction score
Agree that we will likely not come to a conclusion but I find the whole thing kind of interesting to follow. Was hoping to hear from some of the guys that have been in longer than me, that may not be very vocal over in the sticky thread.

For the first several months that I contacted ram chat, the response was that they were "gathering parts and I would be sequenced soon", or something along those lines. The last couple times it has been "sequenced for production but no projected ship date". Still d status from what I can tell. I know not to put much faith in what they say but their original responses made me think that they were having a hard time sourcing something for my particular build. Time will tell I guess.
Your latest info from RamChat "sounds" like what D1 is meant to be.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Your latest info from RamChat "sounds" like what D1 is meant to be.
Thought that too when they told me that the first time but still D according to the dealer. Think they just changed the lingo a bit.

jebruns

Reaction score
So we all know that it seems to be a total crapshoot as to what gets built and when. I thought I had it narrowed down to the rambox but a guy just posted that he ordered in late March and his will be built in early June. I've been D status for a touch over 3 months. I'd be curious to see what kind of options are keeping others, preferably some of the long haulers, from being built. Here is mine that apparently, they can't find parts for
I'm the guy you're talking about. Ordered on 3/30 from Granger and already (shockingly) in D1 status. I fully expect the 6/2 ship date to slip but time will tell.

Interesting to read all the posts about possible reasons for how they get scheduled. I don't have a clue which is correct, but I agree it does not seem to be gated by any particular option. I'd been reading threads that were speculating about this or that option slowing down the build, but I just didn't care. I wanted what I wanted, so ordered the truck based on that instead of how long it might take. Here is my build sheet from when I ordered it.

Hope your truck gets scheduled soon.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_81 Apr. 30 05.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_81 Apr. 30 05.56.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread