Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What motor oil are you using for your 6.7

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've had my 2020 3500 since mid-April but haven't driven it much (approx 600 miles). Should I wait for the engine oil change indicator system to tell me to change the oil or should I look at changing it now because I've had it about 6 months? I understand the change indicator system comes on at a minimum of 500 hours of operation if the mileage requirement isn't met.

flan

Reaction score
48k on this motor using 15/40, dealer wouldn’t warranty. Included is a pic of the new hydraulic lifter design.

Attachments

• 45C0F757-8DAC-480D-8B00-2D71547EDC43.jpeg
    45C0F757-8DAC-480D-8B00-2D71547EDC43.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 234C6399-C5BC-4F53-8A07-67D2D279C42F.jpeg
    234C6399-C5BC-4F53-8A07-67D2D279C42F.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 94

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Hey folks, I've had my 2020 3500 since mid-April but haven't driven it much (approx 600 miles). Should I wait for the engine oil change indicator system to tell me to change the oil or should I look at changing it now because I've had it about 6 months? I understand the change indicator system comes on at a minimum of 500 hours of operation if the mileage requirement isn't met.
Normally I wouldn't change until one year if the miles are low. Unless the low miles had a lot of time spent at idle or heavy towing. However, since it is the first oil change, I would probably go ahead and do it early. Seems silly but it would be bugging me. LOL

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Normally I wouldn't change until one year if the miles are low. Unless the low miles had a lot of time spent at idle or heavy towing. However, since it is the first oil change, I would probably go ahead and do it early. Seems silly but it would be bugging me. LOL
Yeah, kinda what I was thinking too.

Xflight29

Reaction score
You need to put some miles on that nice truck.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I bought my 2020 RAM 3500 Dually in April and just went back very 5000 miles. I'll take it in on Monday for my free oil change. Getting ready for a Florida trip in November with the camper. Only the 4th time pulling the camper this year. Usually it would have been 8 or more since April.

I'm sure the dealer will use something appropriate. I will use Shell Rotella with the appropriate weight for my truck. Not sure if I'll go to synthetic or not as price difference in is only about $20

And I'll change when it gets to 25% remaining. After this free dealer oil change, I'll look on eBay for the filter sets for my truck. In the past I've found complete Mopar filters for oil, fuel and air for the MSRP price of just the two Mopar fuel filters.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I bought my 2020 RAM 3500 Dually in April and just went back very 5000 miles. I'll take it in on Monday for my free oil change. Getting ready for a Florida trip in November with the camper. Only the 4th time pulling the camper this year. Usually it would have been 8 or more since April.

I'm sure the dealer will use something appropriate. I will use Shell Rotella with the appropriate weight for my truck. Not sure if I'll go to synthetic or not as price difference in is only about $20

And I'll change when it gets to 25% remaining. After this free dealer oil change, I'll look on eBay for the filter sets for my truck. In the past I've found complete Mopar filters for oil, fuel and air for the MSRP price of just the two Mopar fuel filters.
Just be sure that filters are not knock offs. EBay and amazon both have had some problems with this. That being said, lots Of legit sellers have a presence on both platforms and they are usually easy to tell as they usually use their same name, or a version there of.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Just be sure that filters are not knock offs. EBay and amazon both have had some problems with this. That being said, lots Of legit sellers have a presence on both platforms and they are usually easy to tell as they usually use their same name, or a version there of.

It is usually a Mopar reseller. Haven't gotten a knock off yet. But I know what you are saying. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread