Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your rear wheel well height? 2500 4x4

matemike

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone's rear wheel well height is; particularly on a 2022 2500 4x4 with Hemi, standard 4 door cab, short bed.

I ask because when I hook up my bumper pull camper, in order to set the weight distribution bars in their saddles, I have to secure the ball connection and use the trailer jack to lift the truck's rear end a couple of inches in order to put the bars in place. Then, the night before we go camping, I usually park the camper overnight, backed up in our driveway. Again, I use the trailer jack to lift the front end of the camper up to make it level, but I just leave it connected to the truck for security. This relieves all the tongue weight off the rear suspension of the truck, and even more. I imagine that I even rebound the springs and absorbers some trying to get the trailer level while in our driveway. By no means are the truck's rear tires about to come off the ground, as if lifting by a frame-lift in a shop. But I wonder if I am doing any damage to my rear suspension coils, links and/or shock absorbers? It could just be in my head, but I think the rear fenders sit higher now than they did when the truck was new. I get 43.25" height on the rear fenders with no trailer connected and empty truck bed. 3/4 tank of gas.

What is your rear fender height in center top of fender?

Further more, if I ever wanted to level the truck how should I go about that without losing any payload capacity, and also without raising the front any? Currently I can get the truck in my garage with about 1.5" to spare overhead when passing through the doorway. Not much room to go up. But still wondering if I could get a smoother ride and more level look without going up in the front, and if at all, not much? I've read about the Thuren kit and that it raises it a little and that the loss in payload capacity is negligible. Would like to hear more experiences with the Thuren kit. Not looking to go to different tire sizes; I want to stay stock tire size.

Thanks in advance for you replies. -Mike

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You are not hurting anything even if you were lifting the rear end right off the ground. Its no different than leaving a truck on the hoist for days on end… there is no way the rear end is taller.

woody284

Reaction score
The rear end of these trucks sit pretty tall. Taller than my f250 Powerstroke sat. I do the same on our camper to set the distribution bars. Camper locks onto ball and then I raise the whole truck and camper up to be able to set the bars. Pretty normal there. My truck has the factory off-road package as well. I’ve read that makes the stance different than non off road package trucks but I have not facts on that.

Users who are viewing this thread