Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best looking and best performing 3 peak rated tire?

relbus

Reaction score
Got the Falkens installed today. I’ve only driven about ten miles. Sooooo quiet.
1b2ae5e3b725e52a04b95ab52b688aa4.jpg

1ce80ff957da305ea0bbc57f21c7d7af.jpg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
D

Do you think 37 inches might be a pretty reasonable guess. If you want exact to the tenth of an inch Google will darn quick give you the exact specifications. Has the world really become this lazy and/or ????
F off, new member, you can kick rocks.

The real world measurements of these tires have been claimed to be anywhere from 35.2” up to the manufacturer rated 36.6”

Dean2

Reaction score
Geeze dude, you must be fun at parties. Maybe he was asking because the two of us are rather active on these forums and he trusts my response? I'm not gonna give you too hard a time because I see you're new here, and you've got a second gen that fills me with joy, but you don't gotta start dick measuring with sub 10 posts, wait till you hit 50 for that.
No sweat. Answer his question and quit worrying about me then. I didn't know there was a 50 post minimum before you got to have an opinion. All good by me.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Geeze dude, you must be fun at parties. Maybe he was asking because the two of us are rather active on these forums and he trusts my response? I'm not gonna give you too hard a time because I see you're new here, and you've got a second gen that fills me with joy, but you don't gotta start dick measuring with sub 10 posts, wait till you hit 50 for that.
Yea, I asked you because I’m sure you run the correct tire pressure. People are saying they run way small.

UglyViking

Reaction score
How tall are your 37 falken at3w?
I just took a straight edge to the tops of the tires and they look to be about 34.5". Tires currently have a hair over 3/8" of tread left (factory sets them at 19/32", so looks like I'm prob about 50% tread life left).

Not bad all things considered. I just did a NH to MT and back trip and put a lot of miles on them in a short amount of time, not sure if running them at a constant highway speed for 3 14+ hour days or constant heat cycling them is worse, but figured I'd provide the info. I got them installed end of August/early September 2020, and they have probably seen just under 30k miles.

According to my TMPS sensors I'm 41/36 as they sit, I usually run 40/35, although I should probably revisit that since I don't think I've checked chalk since installing my cap and full size spare in the bed.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love these things in the snow and ice. I'm hoping next year to purchase a second set for late spring through fall that will be a 37-38 MT tire on a beadlock wheel. Not sure which tire yet but looking at the the trail ready and innov8 (scared about damaging the latter though).

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I just took a straight edge to the tops of the tires and they look to be about 34.5". Tires currently have a hair over 3/8" of tread left (factory sets them at 19/32", so looks like I'm prob about 50% tread life left).

Not bad all things considered. I just did a NH to MT and back trip and put a lot of miles on them in a short amount of time, not sure if running them at a constant highway speed for 3 14+ hour days or constant heat cycling them is worse, but figured I'd provide the info. I got them installed end of August/early September 2020, and they have probably seen just under 30k miles.

According to my TMPS sensors I'm 41/36 as they sit, I usually run 40/35, although I should probably revisit that since I don't think I've checked chalk since installing my cap and full size spare in the bed.

For what it's worth, I absolutely love these things in the snow and ice. I'm hoping next year to purchase a second set for late spring through fall that will be a 37-38 MT tire on a beadlock wheel. Not sure which tire yet but looking at the the trail ready and innov8 (scared about damaging the latter though).
I have read nothing but awesome reviews of those tires. I know I don’t want ridge grapplers again, but still shopping.

My 285/75-18 are MFG stated to be 35.1 but they’re about 34.5” at 45psi (max80) 285/75-18 tend to be a hair taller than 35x LT sizes. If the AT3w runs that small, it wouldn’t really be worth the money to go “up” to a 37” that’s approximately the same size.

The toyo are 8lb lighter and from what I can tell are closer to size. Most tires run small with a few exceptions out there but thats 2” shy.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
I have read nothing but awesome reviews of those tires. I know I don’t want ridge grapplers again, but still shopping.

My 285/75-18 are MFG stated to be 35.1 but they’re about 34.5” at 45psi (max80) 285/75-18 tend to be a hair taller than 35x LT sizes. If the AT3w runs that small, it wouldn’t really be worth the money to go “up” to a 37” that’s approximately the same size.

The toyo are 8lb lighter and from what I can tell are closer to size. Most tires run small with a few exceptions out there but thats 2” shy.
Yeah, I don't know how the other Falkens are, but the AT3W is def small. I was pretty heartbroken when I first got them installed to be totally honest. I wanted something that was awesome in the snow/ice living in new england, but I wasn't ready for just how small they would be. I knew they would look small and less aggressive, but it shocked me by how much.

I think the BFG also runs pretty small, but most of the others are pretty true to size.

On the plus side, I'll be able to clear chains no problem!

I wish an OEM created a studable, dedicated winter tire in a 37x11.5x17. I'd for sure give it a shot as I think that would be the perfect setup for my general use case.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know how the other Falkens are, but the AT3W is def small. I was pretty heartbroken when I first got them installed to be totally honest. I wanted something that was awesome in the snow/ice living in new england, but I wasn't ready for just how small they would be. I knew they would look small and less aggressive, but it shocked me by how much.

I think the BFG also runs pretty small, but most of the others are pretty true to size.

On the plus side, I'll be able to clear chains no problem!

I wish an OEM created a studable, dedicated winter tire in a 37x11.5x17. I'd for sure give it a shot as I think that would be the perfect setup for my general use case.
I love a pizza cutter tire so 37x11.50 appeals to me greatly. 285/75-18 works out pretty well for me. it’s a taller 35 x 11.50.. but you have 17s.

Ridge grapplers comes in 37x11.50-18 but I just don’t want another set of them. They’re not awful, fantastic on road, but I do find them lackluster on wet anything including grass. They’re not 3 peak so they’re not helpful for this thread.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Honestly this is one of the reasons that drove me back to the stock size when one of my 35's took a screw that I couldn't repair. They don't look nearly as good but I've got a stock size set of studded snow tires that leave absolutely any all-season oriented tire out there in the dust. Its totally cheating.

If I lived in an area that didn't have snow though I'd be pursuing some sorta good AT tire in a much larger size.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Lol ignore feature works great.
Lol he’s not going to earn an ignore for that. I don’t hold grudges maybe he will have a question I can help with later. You can call me a lot of things but lazy ain’t one of them. Couldn’t let that slide :cool:

jetrinka

Reaction score
I love a pizza cutter tire so 37x11.50 appeals to me greatly. 285/75-18 works out pretty well for me. it’s a taller 35 x 11.50.. but you have 17s.
I also love the pizza cutter look! They're actually better in a lot of street snow conditions anyway due to the narrow footprint. The only time wide tires are better is aired down on deep powder - get a good balloon effect floating on the top.

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
D

Do you think 37 inches might be a pretty reasonable guess. If you want exact to the tenth of an inch Google will darn quick give you the exact specifications. Has the world really become this lazy and/or ????
The world has become better, not sure if you have ever measured tires but they are never as advertised. My 37” Toyo RT’s were 35.5”. His question is a good one. He wants reality not as advertised.

VPK944

Reaction score
I had really good luck with the Toyo Open Country C/T. Ran quiet, easy to balance, and incredible wear. Not the best wet weather tire, but awesome in snow and ice. Drove cross country twice, both encountered severe winter storms. A Toyo employee told me they were made for shale oil field trucks and the plys went all the way to the bead. No flats in over 50k miles, and I am in construction sites daily. Worth a look.

WXman

Reaction score
Just for those playing along at home, tire manufacturers measure tires on a certain width wheel, at a certain pressure, without the weight of a vehicle applied, including the bulge of the sidewalls.

Most guys at home measure on their own width of wheel, at their own tire pressure, with the weight of the vehicle applied, not including the bulge of the sidewalls.

So, you can clearly see why home measurements and manufacturers' listed specs rarely ever match. I've run every brand on the market over the last 25 years in many sizes, A/T and M/T and hybrids, and they're all the same deal, you aren't going to see listed diameters when the tires are actually ON your truck. I have never known the Falkens to run small. Mine never have. And my cousin just put 295/70R18s on his 3/4 ton and when I measured those they were spot on where I expected at 33.75" dispite the listing showing them at 34.3". Lines up with every other brand perfectly.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Just for those playing along at home, tire manufacturers measure tires on a certain width wheel, at a certain pressure, without the weight of a vehicle applied, including the bulge of the sidewalls.

Most guys at home measure on their own width of wheel, at their own tire pressure, with the weight of the vehicle applied, not including the bulge of the sidewalls.

So, you can clearly see why home measurements and manufacturers' listed specs rarely ever match. I've run every brand on the market over the last 25 years in many sizes, A/T and M/T and hybrids, and they're all the same deal, you aren't going to see listed diameters when the tires are actually ON your truck. I have never known the Falkens to run small. Mine never have. And my cousin just put 295/70R18s on his 3/4 ton and when I measured those they were spot on where I expected at 33.75" dispite the listing showing them at 34.3". Lines up with every other brand perfectly.
This is a very good explanation and totally makes sense.
Most folks here don't pump their tires up to a full 80psi complaining about the harsh ride, usually something like 50/40 or so. Someone a few posts back mentioned they run 40/35. I run my Nittos RG at 60/80 when hauling/towing and 60/50 when empty. Squashed bulge where the tire sits on the ground is definitely not present in factory tire height measurement and neither should be when the forum guys measure their tires.

Users who are viewing this thread