Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does a Limited have over a similarly configured Laramie to justify the extra $5k?

Thisnthat

Reaction score
it'll be interesting to see how quickly the first set of 23s get turned around. we ordered a Tahoe 8/2...as in that is the day the order was placed with the dealer, and it arrived on 8/28. stupid fast but we aren't complaining.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
it'll be interesting to see how quickly the first set of 23s get turned around. we ordered a Tahoe 8/2...as in that is the day the order was placed with the dealer, and it arrived on 8/28. stupid fast but we aren't complaining.
Out of curiosity, did the chevrolet dealer guarantee your price at the time of order? My parents are looking at Tahoes right now and none of their local dealers would guarantee the price.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, did the chevrolet dealer guarantee your price at the time of order? My parents are looking at Tahoes right now and none of their local dealers would guarantee the price.

not to clutter the thread, but in case anyone else is shopping brands

the key word in your question may be "local dealers"...I had to order from a larger dealer as our two local dealers were almost incompetent about the whole ordering process...Ram dealers can place as many "sold" orders as they want whereas a GM dealer has to receive a trim specific allocation for a vehicle and after waiting three months with one dealer, I went to a larger dealer and they received an allocation within a month. The other dealer told me he had 20 orders for Tahoes and didn't expect but about 5-6 of them to be accepted in the next 6 months. Some options like the diesel will be harder to come by...

We ordered one back in Jan, accepted in Feb, delivered in late April, price went up $700 and I honestly never asked about it as we had agreed on sticker and didn’t want to rock the boat as other dealerships in our area were getting $5-10k over MSRP. Just paid it and was glad to get a vehicle. There are still quite a few Tahoes/Yukons built during that timeframe that are still stuck in Midlothian (Arlington holding lot) as they were built without components (unplanned chip shortages)…6 months later and some are just now starting to be delivered

The one ordered in August was at sticker as well and I asked at the time of order if it would be price protected. I was told yes, but didn't get it in writing - salesman was adamant that I didn't have anything to worry about. It went quick enough that the window sticker was the same price as the MSRP at the time of order

Similar to Ram, any dealer not willing to offer price protection is either too lazy to follow the steps to apply for it or they are just ignorant of the process (have heard that a lot of GM dealerships may not "know" about the new process to applying for it)... Of course the other reason they may not offer it is that they want to keep the difference for themselves vs offering it to the customer.

Earlier this year GM price protection was only applicable to Retail Sold orders (true customer order) – first link below. Now the price protection has been extended to both customer and dealer stock orders – second link. There is zero reason a GM dealer shouldn’t be able to offer price protection on a custom order. I’d ask why they can't/won't offer since the dealer wouldn't be financially impacted if they go through the steps of applying for it. On the Tahoe forum there seems to be more people getting price protection vs those that aren't

zach@granger

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
@zach@granger has not updated the Mega order guide since 9/15 that still shows the Hemi available in a '23 Limited/Longhorn Mega. Only the CC Hemi option was removed from that guide specifically.
Has anyone asked at the dealer to run through a Mega order? Do we believe that was just oversight and it hasn't been updated? And yes @H3LZSN1P3R , it has really gotten to me, again.
That is still the most current code guide.

zach@granger

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
As said earlier, it's been discussed in several threads, confirmed by several dealers including @zach@granger, and you simply cannot currently order a 2023 Limited or Longhorn with a Hemi.

Contrary to your assumption that it's some dealer conspiracy, RAM had less than 5% take rate on those trims ordered with the Hemi so they dropped it. Just like they dropped the manual. Just because something is listed in the media press kit, doesn't make it true. It *IS* the standard engine, it's just not available in a Longhorn or Limited.
There was a "complexity reduction" initiative where they got rid of low take rate option vehicles. This fell victim to that change.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
There was a "complexity reduction" initiative where they got rid of low take rate option vehicles. This fell victim to that change.
And again I ask, what is the source of the percentages quoted? I am not aware of RAM releasing that type of data. Also, It costs them absolutely nothing to offer the Hemi in all trims. Putting it in a Limited is no different than putting it in a Big Horn. Same production line. So it makes zero sense!

jebruns

Reaction score
Mopar has been doing that since at least last year. When we bought our new Pacifica Ltd, it was right at the end of the '21 build cycle. We figured we'd just order a '22. But the options on them were drastically reduced from 21. Like we could not get a trailer package unless we got a Pinnacle, but then we lost the stow and go seats, which was the wife's #1 reason for getting that van. The 22 Ltd lost a few other things too, like the 3rd moonroof, door window shades, etc. From an article about the 22's:
Fewer variations in options and equipment is the understatement of the century. The available combinations of options and equipment is reduced from 3,550 to 53 for 2022. Consolidating everything into packages to be added onto the Pacifica Hybrid cause the reduction.

So it's no surprise Ram would follow suit, I guess. I've heard you are stuck with painted bumpers on the 23 Ltd/Ltd Longhorns too. That change alone makes me really glad I got a 22.

zach@granger

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
And again I ask, what is the source of the percentages quoted? I am not aware of RAM releasing that type of data. Also, It costs them absolutely nothing to offer the Hemi in all trims. Putting it in a Limited is no different than putting it in a Big Horn. Same production line. So it makes zero sense!

Mopar has been doing that since at least last year. When we bought our new Pacifica Ltd, it was right at the end of the '21 build cycle. We figured we'd just order a '22. But the options on them were drastically reduced from 21. Like we could not get a trailer package unless we got a Pinnacle, but then we lost the stow and go seats, which was the wife's #1 reason for getting that van. The 22 Ltd lost a few other things too, like the 3rd moonroof, door window shades, etc. From an article about the 22's:
Fewer variations in options and equipment is the understatement of the century. The available combinations of options and equipment is reduced from 3,550 to 53 for 2022. Consolidating everything into packages to be added onto the Pacifica Hybrid cause the reduction.

So it's no surprise Ram would follow suit, I guess. I've heard you are stuck with painted bumpers on the 23 Ltd/Ltd Longhorns too. That change alone makes me really glad I got a 22.

Yes, this is an industry wide trend. Ford is our other franchise and they eliminated FWD options on the Edge and have made other changes as well.

With the reset of inventory being so low, they have taken the opportunity to get some things done that they aimed to do for a while. I'm not in manufacturing, but I've had conversations with people at Ram and Ford and even something like having a two-tone option on trucks changes the amount they space the trucks out on the assembly line at the plant and causes a loss of production compared to a monotone paitn scheme.

Dave01

Reaction score
That's just not true. Adding options on an automotive production line, especially something major like a choice of engine, massively affects the complexity and productivity for that line. It's not just push a button and this ones a diesel, this one's a hemi, think about the number of components that change as part of that engine choice. You are right, on other trims they are doing it and they do it because the sales metrics say it's a good idea, but being able to eliminate an engine choice on that high end trim level greatly simplifies those production runs.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
Its more than 5K, depending how its optioned and what packages you now have to add to get those options.

All as closely optioned the same as possible
2022 3500 Limited Megacab 4x4 - $92,995
2023 3500 Limited Megacab 4x4 - $102.865
2023 3500 Laramie Megacab 4x4 - $93,335

Its nearly a 10K difference at MSRP. Also a 10K difference between a 2022 and 2023 model like/like model.

I had to cancel my 2022 Limited order due to a change in some plans that now required a larger truck. SRW -> DRW. So I tried to build a like/like SRW to price compare as the DRW is only a $1500 option +/-. The above numbers is what I got. To stay in the same price-point I had to drop down trim levels to a Laramie, while maintaining the options as close as possible. Luckily when I ordered my 2023 there were no package restrictions or reworks yet.

filemaniac

Reaction score
I took a trip and sat down with the GM at my local dealership after arguing with him back and forth over email that the order guides showed the Hemi available for the Limited trim for the 2500/3500 mega cabs. He and I walked through the DealerConnect screens and there isn't even a HEMI gas engine option when ordering in the Limited trims for both the 2500 and 3500 with the mega cab. He even tried with a crew cab with the same results. If you want a Mega Cab with the HEMI (at least for now), you're stuck with the Laramie trim. I wanted the stuff in the Limited trim more (like the new digital rearview mirror 3.0 and the better leather) I ended up going with the Cummins SO in the 3500 Limited for extra payload and towing capacity.
@zach@granger has not updated the Mega order guide since 9/15 that still shows the Hemi available in a '23 Limited/Longhorn Mega. Only the CC Hemi option was removed from that guide specifically.
Has anyone asked at the dealer to run through a Mega order? Do we believe that was just oversight and it hasn't been updated? And yes @H3LZSN1P3R , it has really gotten to me, again.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I took a trip and sat down with the GM at my local dealership after arguing with him back and forth over email that the order guides showed the Hemi available for the Limited trim for the 2500/3500 mega cabs. He and I walked through the DealerConnect screens and there isn't even a HEMI gas engine option when ordering in the Limited trims for both the 2500 and 3500 with the mega cab. He even tried with a crew cab with the same results. If you want a Mega Cab with the HEMI (at least for now), you're stuck with the Laramie trim. I wanted the stuff in the Limited trim more (like the new digital rearview mirror 3.0 and the better leather) I ended up going with the Cummins SO in the 3500 Limited for extra payload and towing capacity.
So I guess Ram is good with that percentage that wants a luxury truck with a gas engine going over to a competitor. So glad we got our Ram 2500 Limited MegaCab with a 6.4 Hemi when we did. It is perfect for our towing application.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
So I guess Ram is good with that percentage that wants a luxury truck with a gas engine going over to a competitor. So glad we got our Ram 2500 Limited MegaCab with a 6.4 Hemi when we did. It is perfect for our towing application.
Some would go with diesel option (as the poster above your reply), some would go with a lower trim level and some would go to competition. The later RAM obviously not worrying about as that number must be too small to notice.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I don't think the OEM's really care right now. Last year when I told GM I was going across the street for my next new truck they basically said, sorry you feel that way. They're all selling as many trucks as they can build lately. Maybe when things get tough again, customer service and more choices will return.

Back to the original subject matter, I thought I'd had a few vehicles with leather until I got this Ram Ltd. The difference in the leather is impossible to miss. I too thought the seats were a bit harsh in the beginning but they're getting broken in now and I'm more comfortable. The rain sensing wipers are the bomb too. It's not that I'm too lazy to turn on the wipers, I just grow weary of turning them off and on every mile or two all day long when you're caught in one of those light off and on rainy days. I thought it was coming with the HK sound system too until the truck arrived. That's ok though, the Alpine is great. Maybe that was just a C/C thing that I missed?

Reaction score
Having real leather seats is huge for me. I want the smell, I like the look and the durability of the leather.

I don’t want to replace my seats down the road and leather will last. I’ll treat and clean them regularly.

I also dislike the Laramie seats and trim inside. The wood grain trim in the limited looks stunning. Limited is just next level inside and that is worth 5k any day on an $80-90k truck.

From what I can tell, the leather on the Laramie is similar to Toyota's Softex, a durable leather-like material. I use a couple different conditioners in the truck for that and the alcantara sides, and its held up pretty well with my fatass in the seat. I also try not to wear jeans as much as possible. I honestly dont see the Laramie seats deteriorating any quicker than Limited seats with the same amount of detail/care applied to both.

Dave01

Reaction score
No argument from me that the Limited interior is an upgrade, though as I've said I very much like my Laramie interior. From the materials I see in the Laramie seats there isn't going to be a durability issue, they look pretty bulletproof to me, would expect them to last a very long time. So preferring leather is a really good reason to go with the Limited, but I think both seat materials will last equally well with proper care. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Laramie outlasts the Limited.

Users who are viewing this thread