Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do y'all make of all these bent frames?

WXman

Reaction score
NOT trying to start a flame war. I'm just seriously wanting to know. I've seen several Ram 3500 trucks, some dually, with frames that are bent between the cab and bed around my neck of the woods. Obviously if you look around online there are Rams with bent frames from hauling pallets of materials on a flatbed, slide-in campers in a regular bed, and everything in between. Honestly I've never seen this on a newer Ford Super Duty. I'm a Ram guy myself so again I'm not trying to start a pissing contest. I just would like to know why Ram frames seem to bend so easily compared to Ford. What's the deal? Are the Ram frames stronger on the 4500 vs 3500? At the end of my lease I may step up to a HD but I will pull heavier weight at that time and don't want to have to worry about the frame.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Yip, there's multiple pictures of Fords out there and at least some are photoshopped. I wouldn't get all bent about it.

If you're a Ram guy and want to abuse your truck without fear, get a chassis cab, it won't bend there. The frame is massive right at the back of the cab.

gprguy

Reaction score
Pretty much every picture I've seen where the truck is broken there, including the 2020 Ram going around recently and that Ford pictured above, looks to have home made/sketchy camper brackets. In the case of the 2020 Ram I believe it was admitted that they were welded to the frame. I doubt the requirements by Ram/etc around welding to the frame was followed.

sn_85

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure every one of them has some massive home on wheels with a gigantic rear porch on the back of it. Keep camping simple and don't bring your house with you. That and keep COG forward of the rear axle.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its what happens when people get miss informed from dealers and don't follow the axle weights listed on the door and way overload their trucks behind or in front of the axle. If you want to haul heavy that load better be over the axle as much as possible…. Every brand has failures

Last edited:

CFE

Reaction score
I'm not really worried about it. I keep my truck weighted within specs - not really sure why everyone is all bent out of shape over this.

Firebird

Reaction score
I'm in the camp of always have more truck than you need, not just enough truck. I prefer some margin when towing

jetrinka

Reaction score
The OP posted that he's seen a lot of this "in his neck of the woods" but doesn't mention if its just slight bends or ridiculous/basically broken frames. To what degree are you talking about?

I've never heard of Ram frames just bending.... Yes if overloaded they can seriously bend or break. Ever watch a Ford go down a seriously potholed road and notice the separate dances the cab and bed do?

werard

Reaction score
The OP posted that he's seen a lot of this "in his neck of the woods" but doesn't mention if its just slight bends or ridiculous/basically broken frames. To what degree are you talking about?

I've never heard of Ram frames just bending.... Yes if overloaded they can seriously bend or break. Ever watch a Ford go down a seriously potholed road and notice the separate dances the cab and bed do?
And so would your Ram, all frames twist and the cab and bed are separate units.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Obviously...... The question is to what extent
I remember 4wheeling and being twisted up enough in my 98 ZR2 and 04 Ram 2500 that I could look back in the side view mirror and see the front of the bed.

I suspect in the quest for stiffer, lighter frames that use less steel that they aren't as forgiving as some of the older trucks. We're also getting much larger loads with big campers and RVs.

pesedo77

Reaction score
You can always tube it and turn a profit, otherwise you might be able to find a front clip on ebay. I'm biased to keep these beauties on the road though.
momix
indigocard.xyz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread