Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird sound when initially moving forward

Roxhound

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a 23 2500 6.7 stock. Have 4k miles on it, and sometimes when i back the truck up, when i shift to drive there is a noise. It seems like a transmission thing, because as it goes forward it makes the noise, but it goes away. Only lasts for like a second or so.

Am wondering if this has been heard/seen before and if i need to get it to the dealer before it becomes a problem.

Thanks again.

flan

Reaction score
Is it a buzzing noise?

Roxhound

Reaction score
Greetings,

I got word from another group, this is a "feature".
Seth Katz said his 3500 4wd does the same thing the dealer said it was normal it’s just flexing

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Just got my 3500 hemi and I think mine does it too. Freaked me out driving it off the lot but stopped almost immediately. Happens almost every time...

jsalbre

Reaction score
None of you have said what exactly the noise is, but if it’s a buzz/hum/vibration noise then it’s the ABS system check.

Roxhound

Reaction score
Oh, i am sorry, been really busy to answer. It is a whineing sound. Not a buzzing/hum/vibration. kinda like when a wheel bearing squeels, but is coming from below your ass in the truck.

Riddick

Reaction score
Is the truck rolling backwards when you shift into drive? If so, try coming to a complete stop before changing gears.

Hambone11

Reaction score
Oh, i am sorry, been really busy to answer. It is a whineing sound. Not a buzzing/hum/vibration. kinda like when a wheel bearing squeels, but is coming from below your ass in the truck.
My 2022 2500 does the same thing. After reversing and shifting the transmission into drive, I get a quick squealing sound just like you describe. I come to a complete stop before shifting as I’m sure you do too. I don’t remember it ever happening when going from drive into reverse. Only when backing, then shifting into drive. I am wondering what it is as well. I have the 6.7 (Not the HO). Have you figured out what the noise is yet?

Ramsomair

Reaction score
Same thing here on my last 4 Rams. No ill effect was ever noticed.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
It's been happening since the 4th gens came out in 2010. I've had 6 (4 tradesmen, 1 limited and 1 laramie). The 4 with the 68 made the noise, but the 2 with the G56 did not. Dealer says it's normal.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
My fathers 22 does the same thing. Sounds like a squealing pig. Only when backing up, then quickly into drive does the pig make its noise. Otherwise she’s quiet

Users who are viewing this thread