Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird clicking sound

waveslayer

Reaction score
I've just noticed this weird clicking noise on my truck. I have about 4,500 miles on it and developed this clicking noise, do you guys know what it is?

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Squirrel …with a nut? Seriously though that is quite a clack. If you open the hood can you isolate it to an area?

waveslayer

Reaction score
Here another link to it. Interesting

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its not consistent which is odd for an engine noise… what oil are you running

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Older thread, but sounds like the EGR/intake valves cycling, thou louder than they should. Does it sound like the clicking after shutdow?

baker01

Reaction score
Older thread, but sounds like the EGR/intake valves cycling, thou louder than they should. Does it sound like the clicking after shutdow?
No, not at all. If I were to guess I would say a sticking lifter. That is why I resurrected this older thread. The OP is still active on here on may have some insight.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No, not at all. If I were to guess I would say a sticking lifter. That is why I resurrected this older thread. The OP is still active on here on may have some insight.

It doesn’t sound anything like any sticking lifter I’ve ever heard.

Even at idle that tick is too slow and irregular for a lifter.

baker01

Reaction score
It doesn’t sound anything like any sticking lifter I’ve ever heard.

Even at idle that tick is too slow and irregular for a lifter.
Absolutely irregular, I did not get a chance to vary rpm to see if it changed. I tried to get it to repeat a few times later in the day without success. I will just keep an ear on it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread