Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WDH Drop shanks

whitexc

Reaction score
I know this has been beat to death and I apologize in advance. I have a Fastway trunnion style WDH and my goal is to get the hitch away from the truck so I can open my tailgate with the travel trailer connected. The Curt 17121(see pic) looks like it would meet the needs but they are out of stock everywhere. I could and would have a buddy cut and weld a longer shank on but then I have an unrated piece. Not liking that. I welcome some conversation or pointers. Thanks all.
fac0db64aae0db21221bc0c1eb01db68.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

whitexc

Reaction score
I hadn't looked into them. Thanks for the tip. I called and they definitely have what I need. Going to verify some measurements when I get home and call them back. Spendy but it is what it is.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Consider turning the jack on the trailer so the light and head faces away. The light is a gimmick anyway since you have so many lights beaming off the truck when hooking.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
The gen y‘s are beautiful. Good excuse to get a torsion flex as well. Trailer will thank you.

whitexc

Reaction score
The gen y‘s are beautiful. Good excuse to get a torsion flex as well. Trailer will thank you.

Anyone have this setup? Pretty nice. Very spendy.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
I had it but didn’t use it. Went non WDH. Gen y was great about refund. Now I have their torsion (non WDH). Don’t even know trailer is behind you..

whitexc

Reaction score
Nice. I left them a VM. Looks like a toss up between Bulletproof and Gen Y option wise and there is about a $200 difference in cost, Gen Y being the pricey of the two but that would include the versa ball setup along with their wdh shank. Hmmmm.....thanks guys. This just got real!

Last edited:

whitexc

Reaction score
So I spoke with both Gen Y and Bulletproof about their setups. Apples to apples for the most part....meaning both drops about the same dimension wise. See below:
Bulletproof:
2.5" x 8" drop shank
Dual ball set up
WDH adapter
22k rated
Free shipping
$488

Gen y:
2.5" x 9 1/2" Boss torsion flex drop shank
Versa (dual) ball setup
WDH adapter
10k rated
$29.99 shipping
$878.98

I don't think, for the money, that I can justify the cost of the torsion flex set up, especially only being 10k rated. The Bulletproof set up will do everything I want including the movement of the ball/wdh back for tailgate opening capability. I can sell my other hitches, including a nice 10k Rapid hitch I have and recoup some money. Thanks for reading and your input.

Last edited:

04KAT600

Reaction score
I have this shank from Husky. It's a 2 1/2" so I don't need to use the receiver adapter and I can open my tailgate no problem with the camper hooked up.

Last edited:

Frank

Reaction score
I bought Curt 17120 which is one increment shorter than what you are trying to buy. It's long enough, I still have one hole left on it, 10" will be overkill. Currently in stock on Amazon.

But if you have a 2 1/2" in your sights go for it. I plan on getting a higher rated WDH (>10k) when I upgrade campers in a few years so I decided to go with what was available and save some bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread