Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water soaked cabin filter caused loss of air out of vents

CdnHO

Reaction score
Did a search but found nothing. This morning I could get no air to come out of the dash vents. The fan was running at full speed and there was no indication of anything wrong as doors seemed to move ok with the controls. At least the ones I could see. OK, so easy stuff first. Took out the glove box to check the cabin filter, even though I had replaced it a few months ago. The cabin filter was soaking wet. No water on the passenger side floor. The cowl drain on the passenger side was plugged with debris. Driver's side was open. We did get a half inch of rain overnight but if was a steady rain over serveral hours. Not sure how the water got to the filter. Anyway, I ordered a replacment filter and put the cabin filter cover back on without a filter installed. New filter will be here tomorrow. Air now flowed as it should. So the soaked cabin filter completely blocked all the air. Anyone else run into this?

Jarred

Reaction score
I had this same problem. The cowl fills with water which then overflows into the inlet for the air. I could hear sloshing when driving. It then entered where the filter is and leaked into the cab in the passenger footwell. Took it to the dealer because it was still under warranty. They cleaned out the drains in the cowl which fixed it.

Reactions: PRS

CdnHO

Reaction score

Is this the same thing ur talking about.?
There is no hint of water under the carpet or the floor under the heater box. I looked through the air intake grill at the back of the hood and it looks clean and no standing water. Only thing wet is that cabin filter.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I had this same problem. The cowl fills with water which then overflows into the inlet for the air. I could hear sloshing when driving. It then entered where the filter is and leaked into the cab in the passenger footwell. Took it to the dealer because it was still under warranty. They cleaned out the drains in the cowl which fixed it.
I think I will pop up the forward end of the cowl and see if I can locate the drain. Just got back from the dealer to take care of three recalls and noticed the issue on the way there. At first I thought it was a computer glitch and since I was waiting for the truck I didn't mention it to the dealer.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Removed the cowl. Drains don’t look bad. A bit of dirt but nothing serious. Flushed both and reassembled everything. Put new wipers on while I was at it. Need to check the AC drain next.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but the AC evaporator coil is down stream of the cabin filter?

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
I get that problem when I drive the truck through a car wash with the AC blowing on high. It's usually a couple hours before I get much air out of the vents. If I turn the fan down when going through, it does not have a problem.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I get that problem when I drive the truck through a car wash with the AC blowing on high. It's usually a couple hours before I get much air out of the vents. If I turn the fan down when going through, it does not have a problem.
I always hand wash. Truck is not running. Also haven’t driven in rain for over 6 months. Will keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread