Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water in Fuel (WIF) false positive

McGruder

Reaction score
2022 Ram 2500 - from when purchased new, had intermittent WIF false positives. Typically when it rained, but not consistently. Three times the dealer said they checked it out and everything looked fine. Each time afterwards at the next service, I would bring up the problem again because it was still a problem. Finally, two years later a extraordinarily competent technician worked it and found the problems: 1) a sensor pin that was corroded, and; 2) a short-to-ground from where the wire harness rubbed through where it went over the frame rail and contacted the under-body insulation.

The tech's write-up is below. I don't think I've ever seen such detain from an auto tech. Pat this guy on the back and give him a raise.

Inspected for water in fuel filter housings. Inspected connections at WIF sensors. Found WIF Sensor 1 sensor pin corrosion. Replaced WIF Sensor 1 and applied dielectric grease to connector. Inspected Sensor 2 and found circuit K303 shorted to ground. Traced circuit to connector XY940A and found circuit K303 grounded and rubbed through as it travels over the frame rail contacting the under-body insulation. Unplugged XY940A and inspected wiring and connector. Detached connector XY940A from the main harness freeing connector from the under-body, de-pinned k303 from connector, heat shrink wire insulation, and secured it around the main harness where the wires can no longer rub the under-body insulation.

RTillery

Reaction score
This Tech and the dealership he works at needs Kudus and a couple of atta-boys. Care to share the Tech and Dealer's name?

McGruder

Reaction score
Dealership is Meador Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Fort Worth TX. I wish I knew the tech's name. Just incredible work.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The sad part is with your complaint i would have checked those things first as thats pretty common when you have a WIF light thats on and off. 99% of the time if the WIF light comes on its a sensor/ wiring issue and not actually water in fuel.

McGruder

Reaction score
I agree. You and I both would. Unfortunately, what should have been done the first several times wasn't done, but at least it ultimately was identified and fixed correctly, and I was impressed that a tech was that thorough after I have become trained (in all industries for all things in service) to expect something less than the way it should be done. There are a few really good techs out there - just hard to find and not enough of them.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Unfortunately, competent techs are a rarity today. Parts canon is the order of the day. Yes, I know that diagnostics takes time, but knowing how to diagnos is 90 percent.

Users who are viewing this thread