Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water in fuel issue

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
if the dealer doesn't take care of this, like, immediately upon rcvg the vehicle, leverage @RamCares folks for guidance. this is a pretty obvious case of bad fuel.

BamaOEF

Reaction score
Did the water in fuel light ever illuminate? It should have set off a warning light with that much water.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
if the dealer doesn't take care of this, like, immediately upon rcvg the vehicle, leverage @RamCares folks for guidance. this is a pretty obvious case of bad fuel.
We appreciate being tagged in this! It's the best way to get ahold of us.

We'd be happy to look into this! @dsatexas651 , would you mind sending us a direct message?

Callie
Ram Cares

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
Does anyone drain their fuel/water filters on a regular basis even if the water in fuel light is not illuminated?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
me neither. unless the light comes on, I don't even think about it.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
Couldn't you test the water that was drained from the filters, using a DEF refractometer, and verify that it is or is not DEF? That should at least give you a path to follow.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does anyone drain their fuel/water filters on a regular basis even if the water in fuel light is not illuminated?
Nope in over 30 years running all sorts of diesels i have not and i have never had WIF light come on either

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Couldn't you test the water that was drained from the filters, using a DEF refractometer, and verify that it is or is not DEF? That should at least give you a path to follow.
Even taking some and putting it on a surface to dry for a couple hrs if you see the crystallization happening then you know its DEF but usually the smell alone is enough to know if you take a sample of it when the diesel is separated from the water

dsatexas651

Reaction score
re: checking filters on regular basis..once this is resolved, i will be checking it on a daily basis (monthly maybe?). Something too simple to check vs huge risk of completely stopping a future road trip. risk vs reward.

Even found one semi driver video where he checks his filters at every fill up. Is amazing to see examples of the crap diesel thats out there.

oh, btw...I asked service mgr at local dealer if he sees this issue much or not...he said he sees it all the time.

truck is sitting at dealer lot waiting to be looked at first thing next week. Looking very fwd to seeing what they find.

dsatexas651

Reaction score
Update:
Thank you to members i reached out to during this. I stressed on what to do earlier this week as the selling dealer decided officially last Monday they were taking hands off approach.
RAM cares also said they could not help with contaminated fuel.

I did talk to a lawyer but decided to go the insurance route and thats where its at now.

Insurer is going to take fuel samples for testing.

Anyone care to guess the estimate from AutoNation for repair? its a LOT!!! lol almost half the cost of the truck! unbelievable! And the estimate is just for replacing fuel system. Doesnt even include repair if the rings need replacing.

Funny, when i mentioned to a mechanic friend of mine, he didnt bat an eye when i told him the repair cost. Said..yep, thats about avg. Maybe a little on high side, but yep.

Meanwhile, finally got offer on my totalled RAM 1500 from the accident. Time to go shopping!

Users who are viewing this thread